Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 99

Thread: The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

  1. #61
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
    If Ethan's arguments are reduced, expand the dialogue. Perhaps I've missed something important, but I don't think I've seen any of his attackers offered up any serious arguments against his positions (some of which are arguable, by the way). If his positions are so simplistic, they should easily crumble. But nobody debunks anything with personal opinions or attacks upon the bearer of the unwanted message. Data is required. Show some game.

    Tim
    I have done so & all I have gotten in reply is the simplistic & constantly trotted out mantra (here & elsewhere) "produce a file". If you don't understand why this is simplistic then you don't understand the nature of what's being spoken of & why I agreed with Myles.
    Manufacturer digital products www.Ciunas.biz
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Milford, CT
    Posts
    1,232

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I think there is good general information about audio in there that would make it a good reference.
    Of course!

    Unless you tell me everything from chapter 2-3 is debating audiophile beliefs. Is it?
    My tone is very controlled, though I do address unfounded beliefs head on with logic and evidence. But as Tim said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
    Based on his posting history, he wouldn't say anything substantive about it. He would attack it based on his personal opinions, offering no evidence to support his or debunk your POV.
    I'll be glad to be proven wrong. Whether Reg gets a review copy or not, much of those chapters is available via the "Look Inside" link:

    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Expert-E.../dp/0240821009

    So he can read that and post here, and then we'll get a taste for how he'd respond to the entire book.

    --Ethan

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Milford, CT
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark (Basspig) Weiss View Post
    I always say that if you can't see it with a $44,000 spectrum analyzer, then it isn't there.
    Hear hear!

  4. #64
    [WBF Founding Member] Gregadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    6,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
    Based on his posting history, he wouldn't say anything substantive about it. He would attack it based on his personal opinions, offering no evidence to support his or debunk your POV. But that is history. I haven't read many of his recent posts. Perhaps he has changed direction?

    Tim
    The Bronx cheer to you to Tim. Like your criticism of an article you did not even read. At least I read Robert Harleys editorial on SET amps before commenting have conceded I lack the abiity to do my own research but have posted many links afd documents concerning the work of others in support of others..
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

  5. #65
    Member mdabb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    54
    Sorry for being off topic here...

    I am simply an enthusiast.... I really appreciate the latest & greatest, and I also appreciate the not so latest & greatest. At times I am wrong or mis-informed, but at the end of the day I still enjoy the hobby & most of all the music. One of the first things that attracted me to this site was it's topics, members, professionals, etc... However, I've never felt truly at home on any forum because every website I've ever joined or visited was either a gang of objectivist or subjectivists, the haves & the have not's. The objectivists pray on the thin skin of the subjectivists. The subjectivists recount experiences that range from believable/possible to wild fantasies, and will turn their noses up and tell you that your system is not capable of resolving the finer things in life. Some websites pretend to welcome all, however that's not what I've experienced. I have friends who are from both camps. We all have heard of the term dysfunctional family, AV enthusiast forums are dysfunctional websites. We all enjoy the same hobby, and even though families are disfunctional... they are still a family. Funny, people on AV forums treat each other as if someone kicked their dog.

    In the evolution of AV forums, this website has the potential of being a really good one. Don't let that slip away !!! I'm not claiming to know what happens here every second of the day. Nor am I trying to tell anyone how to run their household. I'm just saying simply as an enthusiast, I wanna see a forum that welcomes and is capable of many ideas, thoughts, beliefs, arguments, people, etc... As long it can be done with respect and thought, there is room for all. If you can't handle someone with an opposing view point or can't handle the fact that someone disagrees with you..... you shouldn't publicly share your thoughts. Nor should someone/something be censored because of it. I can't speak for anyone else but me........ but I would like this expression to be true, "You've tried the rest, now try the BEST" !!!

    Enjoy the fact that people are different !!! As long as no one is being personally attacked I don't see any reason to censor, restrict, ban anyone for their beliefs/thoughts. Nor is there any reason to deodorize it simply because it's different/challenging.

    Disclaimer: No dogs were hurt while typing this post


    Enjoy!

  6. #66
    [WBF Founding Member] Gregadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    6,223
    I'll be glad to be proven wrong. Whether Reg gets a review copy or not, much of those chapters is available via the "Look Inside" link:

    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Expert-E.../dp/0240821009

    So he can read that and post here, and then we'll get a taste for how he'd respond to the entire book.

    --Ethan
    Did you pay attention? i said I was not requesting a review copy.

    No disrepect intended. Once again you overestimate the importance of your opinions to me. The bottom line is getting good sound reproduction is just not as diffcult as some make it out to be.
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,051
    Quote Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
    In the evolution of AV forums, this website has the potential of being a really good one. Don't let that slip away !!! I'm not claiming to know what happens here every second of the day. Nor am I trying to tell anyone how to run their household. I'm just saying simply as an enthusiast, I wanna see a forum that welcomes and is capable of many ideas, thoughts, beliefs, arguments, people, etc... As long it can be done with respect and thought, there is room for all. If you can't handle someone with an opposing view point or can't handle the fact that someone disagrees with you..... you shouldn't publicly share your thoughts. Nor should someone/something be censored because of it. I can't speak for anyone else but me........ but I would like this expression to be true, "You've tried the rest, now try the BEST" !!!
    Very well said and what we absolutely, on daily basis, attempt to make sure is what we are about.

    As you say, everything else has been done. The carnage that exists in other forums, and I speak first hand, has no constructive value.

  8. #68
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,341
    I've just dipped into Ethan's book at page 27 & for the education of everybody (including me) it would be useful if Ethan would reproduce here the text around figure 1.21 & the graph itself. It could form the basis of an interesting discussion!
    Manufacturer digital products www.Ciunas.biz
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin.

  9. #69
    Addicted to Best! Soundproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    429
    Like mdabb, I'm new here, and appreciate the insights and knowledge readily available, though I'm also puzzled by the amount of negative feedback readily meted out. A curious attitude, unfortunately too often found in hifi.
    Spending time defending turf usually ends up with one standing still. There are a lot of things waiting to be discovered if one keeps an open attitude.

    Ethan's book should be welcomed, not denigrated, no matter the past history, which seems to have been quite incendiary.
    That said, I have exhausted my newbie latitude by a significant margin, most likely.
    Searching wide and far around the globe for my own most preferred distortion.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundproof View Post
    Like mdabb, I'm new here, and appreciate the insights and knowledge readily available, though I'm also puzzled by the amount of negative feedback readily meted out. A curious attitude, unfortunately too often found in hifi.
    Spending time defending turf usually ends up with one standing still. There are a lot of things waiting to be discovered if one keeps an open attitude.

    Ethan's book should be welcomed, not denigrated, no matter the past history, which seems to have been quite incendiary.
    That said, I have exhausted my newbie latitude by a significant margin, most likely.
    Not at all. You said well. I have had may share or arguments with Ethan . But for $40, you are going to learn something about audio that you didn't know the day before. Take a look at the early chapters on Amazon and decide.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hi from Ethan Winer
    By Ethan Winer in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •