Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

[WBF Founding Member] vinylphilemag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Party View Post
    Congrats, Ethan. Other than Amir, I don't think any other members of WBF have written a book,
    I have : a C programming text book called Solaris Systems Programming.

Congrats, Ethan! As a fellow author, I know how hard writing a book is...
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine

www.vinylphilemag.com

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
    Right on, Bob! In fact, I'm thinking about collecting all my pearls of wisdom cast forth amongst the swi..... err, the members here, dispproving or otherwise, and making a small fortune casting it further afield. ...

Know any good publishers, Bob?

Frank
    Good luck Frank!

* Best publisher is the one you can trust...
    Last edited by NorthStar; 04-17-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: emphasis
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    I wrote few books myself: Poetry & Philosophy (with Pastel Drawings & Esquisses*).
    >>> But I never tried to get them published.

* Sketches.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

[WBF Founding Member] Ron Party's Avatar
    Rich, sweet! I didn't know. Amir has a book about Unix and now yours. I know 2 does not necessarily mean anything on its own but is there something about audio enthusiasts that make them competent and driven to write books having to do with computers/software?

Quote Originally Posted by vinylphilemag View Post
    I have : a C programming text book called Solaris Systems Programming.

Congrats, Ethan! As a fellow author, I know how hard writing a book is...
    Peace.

Ron Party

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
    Thanks again Mark, my book is now available, both at Amazon and also signed copies direct from me:

Ethan's Audio Book

I promise this is the last time I'll spam the forum about my book.

--Ethan
    I love how you discredit Michael Fremmer on page 42! Just perusing the preview, it's chock full of graphs and handy reference charts. I'm looking forward to having the book in my hand soon!
    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
    The Best in Video & Sound My Company FaceBook Page
    My Blogwww.ampexperts.com
    www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 Watts of Driving Surround Sound!

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark (Basspig) Weiss View Post
    I love how you discredit Michael Fremmer on page 42! Just perusing the preview, it's chock full of graphs and handy reference charts. I'm looking forward to having the book in my hand soon!
    Oh I'm pretty sure that Michael won't lose any sleep over Ethan's book. Does it come with a DVD with Ethan doing another anti-high-end rant too?

Guess they'll be at least five copies sold. Don't go spending that royalty check just yet.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Oh I'm pretty sure that Michael won't lose any sleep over Ethan's book. Does it come with a DVD with Ethan doing another anti-high-end rant too?

Guess they'll be at least five copies sold. Don't go spending that royalty check just yet.
    Myles

Ethan seats at the opposite extreme from your vantage point..He has however backed his positions, often with solid science or pointed to solid research which is to most people more substantial than "I heard it".... The more appropriate response would be to get Ethan Book. Debunk it if you can. prove him wrong in a courteous and rational fashion, in Other words with solid arguments. It would elevate the debate and solidify your position and your contributions more so than veiled ad Hominem and innuendos jabs ... I am close to certain you can get a reviewer copy at no or little cost.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

[WBF Founding Member] vinylphilemag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Party View Post
    Rich, sweet! I didn't know. Amir has a book about Unix and now yours. I know 2 does not necessarily mean anything on its own but is there something about audio enthusiasts that make them competent and driven to write books having to do with computers/software?
    I have no idea! I was into music long before I got into computers (I started at a very early age), and the book was a result of a couple of happy coincidences. Go figure!
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine

www.vinylphilemag.com

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    Myles

Ethan seats at the opposite extreme from your vantage point..He has however backed his positions, often with solid science or pointed to solid research which is to most people more substantial than "I heard it".... The more appropriate response would be to get Ethan Book. Debunk it if you can. prove him wrong in a courteous and rational fashion, in Other words with solid arguments. It would elevate the debate and solidify your position and your contributions more so than veiled ad Hominem and innuendos jabs ... I am close to certain you can get a reviewer copy at no or little cost.
    Frantz: If only reductionism worked in the real world!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I showed the results of HiFi News testing that showed HDMI jitter to be much higher than S/PDIF. Ethan kindly notes that in his book on page 74. So looks like we have our thumbprint on his book .
    Yes, and that proves I did learn something from our debate. Related, in a (pro audio) forum that has banned me off and on several times, I suggested just this morning a one-on-one as you and I did, and I mentioned that debate and this forum by name.

BTW, congrats Ethan. Must feel good to have one's name on Amazon. I just went through first pages. I thought the writing was clear and easy to follow.
    Thanks very much Amir, and everyone else too.

--Ethan

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast