The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
As a fellow author, I know how hard writing a book is...

Tell me about it. All told the book comes in at 739 pages, including 53 pages in the three bonus chapters online. And this is with the most "dense" layout style the publisher uses. The total word count is nearly 260,000, which is equal to more than 100 typical magazine articles!

--Ethan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes, and that proves I did learn something from our debate. :D Related, in a (pro audio) forum that has banned me off and on several times, I suggested just this morning a one-on-one as you and I did, and I mentioned that debate and this forum by name.

--Ethan

The best, smartest, most generous, most intelligent people in history, were also the most persecuted, most insulted with the most hatred, most misunderstood, most misjudged, most misinterpreted, most misconsiderated, most disrespected, and most often banned! :b

Very true too.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It sort of begs the question: Who was wrong the witches or the ones who burned them?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The best, smartest, most generous, most intelligent people in history, were also the most persecuted, most insulted with the most hatred, most misunderstood, most misjudged, most misinterpreted, most misconsiderated, most disrespected, and most often banned! :b

Very true too.

Thank you. Somebody gets me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
... I am close to certain you can get a reviewer copy at no or little cost.

How about it Ethan?

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
How about it Ethan?

This is not my decision. If you have reviewer credentials, contact the publisher Focal Press and ask them for a review copy. If you'd like a contact person there, email me from my site http://www.ethanwiner.com and I'll send you the phone and email for the appropriate person.

But really - and I say this with all the respect you are due - based on your posting history I can't imagine you'd appreciate my book or understand its intent, or say nice things about it. Can you convince me otherwise?

--Ethan

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Frantz: If only reductionism worked in the real world!

+100 Myles, complex issues can not be reduced to simplistic approaches.

But having said this, I would like to apologise to Ethan fro my truculence in the thread that is now closed. There are more polite & better ways to debate than that. My only excuse is that I had builders in at the time & now that they are gone, I realise what stress I was under with their work style (I won't go into it but they did next to nothing when I wasn't watching them). Anyway, I don't apologise for what I said, just how I said it - I probably took out my frustration on Ethan.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

But having said this, I would like to apologise to Ethan fro my truculence in the thread that is now closed. There are more polite & better ways to debate than that. My only excuse is that I had builders in at the time & now that they are gone, I realise what stress I was under with their work style (I won't go into it but they did next to nothing when I wasn't watching them). Anyway, I don't apologise for what I said, just how I said it - I probably took out my frustration on Ethan.

Not at least in biological systems :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
..., I would like to apologise to Ethan fro my truculence in the thread that is now closed. There are more polite & better ways to debate than that. My only excuse is that I had builders in at the time & now that they are gone, I realise what stress I was under with their work style (I won't go into it but they did next to nothing when I wasn't watching them). Anyway, I don't apologise for what I said, just how I said it - I probably took out my frustration on Ethan.

That's nice John! ...Better late than never. :b

* Your excuse is not a reason though. IMHO

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
But really - and I say this with all the respect you are due - based on your posting history I can't imagine you'd appreciate my book or understand its intent, or say nice things about it. Can you convince me otherwise?

--Ethan
From the bit I read, I disagree. I think there is good general information about audio in there that would make it a good reference. Unless you tell me everything from chapter 2-3 is debating audiophile beliefs. Is it?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is not my decision. If you have reviewer credentials, contact the publisher Focal Press and ask them for a review copy. If you'd like a contact person there, email me from my site http://www.ethanwiner.com and I'll send you the phone and email for the appropriate person. Ethan

I do not have reviewer credentials. I was responding to this earleir post tby Frantz on behalf of Myyles
I am close to certain you can get a reviewer copy at no or little cost.

But really - and I say this with all the respect you are due -
[And just how much respect is that?]based on your posting history I can't imagine you'd appreciate [On the contrary I find you entertainig and annoying at the same time] my book or understand its intent[To debunk or challenge so called audio myths and those who purvey or fail to recognize them.], or say nice things about it{You're a big boy and clearly love a goog fight]. Can you convince me otherwise?[ I guess that's our biggest divide. I do not see any need to convince you of anything. You certainly are not lacking in self-confidence.]
You are correctit it is unlikely that you have departed from your often stated beliefs and nor have I.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Myles

Ethan seats at the opposite extreme from your vantage point..He has however backed his positions, often with solid science or pointed to solid research which is to most people more substantial than "I heard it".... The more appropriate response would be to get Ethan Book. Debunk it if you can. prove him wrong in a courteous and rational fashion, in Other words with solid arguments. It would elevate the debate and solidify your position and your contributions more so than veiled ad Hominem and innuendos jabs ... I am close to certain you can get a reviewer copy at no or little cost.

To be honest Frantz, for that one just needs to read certain forums and the discussion-debate Ethan has had with both Amir and at other times John Atkinson for solid arguments.
Not suggesting they disagree with Ethan on everything but they can come from a different perspective and back this up with solid research-data.
Good reading IMO but can take ages finding those posts and specific responses.
Cheers
Orb

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Discussions are a learning curve. Nothing is ever definitive. The past is no cause for today's verdict. The future is always ahead. Adaptation is our most flexible attribute (human species). Rehabilitation is concrete; it does exist. The world is what we think we make of it.

Get the book get the book get the book ... :b

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This is not my decision. If you have reviewer credentials, contact the publisher Focal Press and ask them for a review copy. If you'd like a contact person there, email me from my site http://www.ethanwiner.com and I'll send you the phone and email for the appropriate person.

--Ethan

Based on his posting history, he wouldn't say anything substantive about it. He would attack it based on his personal opinions, offering no evidence to support his or debunk your POV. But that is history. I haven't read many of his recent posts. Perhaps he has changed direction?

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

If Ethan's arguments are reduced, expand the dialogue. Perhaps I've missed something important, but I don't think I've seen any of his attackers offered up any serious arguments against his positions (some of which are arguable, by the way). If his positions are so simplistic, they should easily crumble. But nobody debunks anything with personal opinions or attacks upon the bearer of the unwanted message. Data is required. Show some game.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing