Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
    I meant to address this the other day and then forgot. Yes, indeed. And to quote Gandhi: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (Though there's some dispute as to whether Gandhi actually ever said that. But it's true anyway.) I like your comment so much I posted it on my Wisdoms page, near the bottom.

--Ethan
    Pretty cool Ethan.

* By the way, my sister, Sophie, she is one of my best critics,
    and she disagrees with some people's judgement here at WBF.
    - Always trust a woman's intelligence. ...She speaks from a smart heart.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    I'm with Myles and Gregadd on this one.

The book title, IMHO, is totally pretentious and self serving.

One wonders why Mr. Winer did not do what he said he was going to do in Post No. 25 on Page 3 of this thread?

To quote:

I promise this is the last time I'll spam this forum about my book.

PS: Mr. Winer likes to say that "some people can't handle the truth". Is the above (in bold) a mis-speak"?

What is the "truth" Mr. Winer?
    The Mystery Man.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

I am not telling anyone not to buy Ethans, book. I personally prefer his infomercial narrated by the stripper on room treatment. It's far more entertaing and gets to the point much quicker. Personally, I don't think I would buy a 700 page book even if it was filled with pictures of nude college coeds.

I wonder though if everythong has bean developed and measured so long ago( according to Ethan) , why do I need to have Ethan tell me again. Maybe you like Ethans attack style politics., If so I'm sure you will not be disappointed.If not you might prefer the more relaxed stylr of Floyd Toole, et al.
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    This appears to be one of those threads that should have been closed after the first post. Announcement made, those who are interested get the book, those who aren't don't, and no huge fight over personalities and The Truth, whatever that is... I certainly don't know and am in no position to throw stones either way.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

As I see it, it's the standard subjectivist playbook at work, which occurs on virtually every objectivism-oriented thread.

• Launch ad hominem attacks on the original poster or someone who agrees with the OP
    • Thread gets shut down due to these attacks by people other than the OP
    • This suppresses discussion of the topic and discourages further discussion of similar topics in future threads

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
    This appears to be one of those threads that should have been closed after the first post. Announcement made, those who are interested get the book, those who aren't don't, and no huge fight over personalities and The Truth, whatever that is... I certainly don't know and am in no position to throw stones either way.
    Don,
    I had decided not to post in this thread until now for reasons similar to those you refer, but your post is so reasonable that I have to make an exception and post to support your opinion.

[WBF Founding Member] Ron Party's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_c View Post
    As I see it, it's the standard subjectivist playbook at work, which occurs on virtually every objectivism-oriented thread.

• Launch ad hominem attacks on the original poster or someone who agrees with the OP
    • This suppresses discussion of the topic and discourages further discussion of similar topics in future threads
    Indeed. Post bookmarked for future reference.
    Peace.

Ron Party

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar

WBF is in general much more civil than what I have seen here. That is OK to disagree but the ad hominem and sneer are more numerous than I can remember and do not heighten the standings of their perpetrators ... quite the contrary.

I am with Micro and Don on their last posts ...

out and will buy Ethan's book and PM him for some advices.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Don,
    I had decided not to post in this thread until now for reasons similar to those you refer, but your post is so reasonable that I have to make an exception and post to support your opinion.
    I tend to agree with Don's post.

IMO those who want to get the book should, and those who don't should not be launching any ad hominem attacks

I want to wish Ethan good luck on his book and let's consider the thread closed
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910