The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
My good friend Ethan has finally completed his book, which he's been working on for much of last year.

It's entitled The Audio Expert and it is close to 700 pages of in-depth information about a wide range of aspects of audio technology. It will be equally useful to the serious audiophile as to the recording engineer.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/book.htm

A little personal plug, I was one of the 'experts' he consulted for one section of the book on loudspeakers and some parts of my sound system are featured. :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I like Ethan; I find it unfortunate that he ain't here among us...

Same here... A person with a different outlook on things audiophile. We (audiophiles, I count myself a staunch one) as a bunch are not too keen on myth-busting...

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
I'm sure that the title of the book will win friends and influence people! In the book, is Ethan the expert or does he reference other audio experts?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My professor said, you don't really understand your position until you try to defend it to someone who disagrees with you.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Since I know of no one besides Ethan who has bestowed the title "Audio Expert" on him, I find the title more than a little pretentious. I went to the website link and read Ethan's high praise for his literary work. For those of you who are Ethan fans, I hope you support him and buy his book.

I would pay to read a review of the book by JA from Stereophile though.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I think the world of audio is full of mystical beliefs. Ethan and myself are 'atheists' in the audio world--we look at hard evidence, not feelings and emotions, as tools of cognition in discovery of scientific reality.
Although I only read a portion of one chapter (the one dealing with low frequency sound reproduction) that I was involved with as a consultant, I can't judge the whole book, even the unfinished part which I had read, but I can say that it is written in a factual, non-opinionated style.
I think that ultimately, each reader will be able to determine that on his own. I am just one of many 'experts' which he called upon to collaborate and check the facts for accuracy. Knowing Ethan, it will be a dense, but readable, technical reference that covers just about any aspect of audio production that you could think of. I'm looking forward to its publication, and I'm sure that engineers and serious audiophiles (not audiophools) will have a strong interest in its contents.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I look in from time to time. But since I'm not allowed to express my opinions freely, I have little to post.

--Ethan

Anyone should be able to freely express his opinions.

And certainly a guy like you.

Any deviation from this true concept (value of life), is pure baloney between two pieces of bread!

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I no longer have the email from way back then, but what part am I remembering incorrectly? As I recall, I was told to not post in any forum other than my own. If that's not the case, I'll be glad to resume posting. Please clarify.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
^^^ Great, you have my email address. Though (last thing), I did manage to find an email from you dated March 9, 2011. Here's an excerpt:

"I am asking you that going forward any and all future postings by you be restricted solely to your dedicated expert forum"

--Ethan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Do what's best; give love a chance of a life. ...Without frontiers.

I'm at lost; this thread is about Ethan's book...

* Now I'm going to speak my mind freely right here.

WBF is a home. A home of great people with great life values. A home for discussions and sharing and ideas and humor about everything that is best in life. And that is the exact essence of my philosophy.

There are some people here who are magnificent people. ...The best of the crop.

And for me the best also means being able to resolve past issues, no matter the derivatives...

I don't believe in condemnation; it is not constructive.
I don't need to know about the past; I just need to know about life in the present moment now.

Mark (OP) and Ethan are obviously two friends.
And Mark is also a great guy (I read what he had to say not only here but at other sites as well).
I appreciate greatly what both Mark and Ethan have to say.

Steve, I have the greatest respect for you, and the more I get to know you the more I respect you. And same for your partner, the amazingly generous Amir.

We are not the lost children here; we are professional adults.

Reinventing the world, reconstructing the destruction, man made or nature made, is our survival in our own planet...
Religions, principles, agreements, disagreements, beliefs, ... are all ephemeral in true reality.

Exposure is essential in the fortification of our basic judgements about justice and freedom.

I care about my brothers, sisters, families all over the world.
If I don't I ain't living!

So, please, give Ethan a break, and allow him in his freedom to be himself.
Try to put aside or behind your discords; go forward.

"The heart of a man (woman) is only as big as what his (her) soul can accomodate in its indulgence's space." - Bob

Have a heart, a big one. :b

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing