The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
If Ethan's arguments are reduced, expand the dialogue. Perhaps I've missed something important, but I don't think I've seen any of his attackers offered up any serious arguments against his positions (some of which are arguable, by the way). If his positions are so simplistic, they should easily crumble. But nobody debunks anything with personal opinions or attacks upon the bearer of the unwanted message. Data is required. Show some game.

Tim
I have done so & all I have gotten in reply is the simplistic & constantly trotted out mantra (here & elsewhere) "produce a file". If you don't understand why this is simplistic then you don't understand the nature of what's being spoken of & why I agreed with Myles.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I think there is good general information about audio in there that would make it a good reference.

Of course!

Unless you tell me everything from chapter 2-3 is debating audiophile beliefs. Is it?

My tone is very controlled, though I do address unfounded beliefs head on with logic and evidence. But as Tim said:

Based on his posting history, he wouldn't say anything substantive about it. He would attack it based on his personal opinions, offering no evidence to support his or debunk your POV.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong. Whether Reg gets a review copy or not, much of those chapters is available via the "Look Inside" link:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Expert-Everything-Need-About/dp/0240821009

So he can read that and post here, and then we'll get a taste for how he'd respond to the entire book. :D

--Ethan

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Based on his posting history, he wouldn't say anything substantive about it. He would attack it based on his personal opinions, offering no evidence to support his or debunk your POV. But that is history. I haven't read many of his recent posts. Perhaps he has changed direction?

Tim

The Bronx cheer to you to Tim. Like your criticism of an article you did not even read. At least I read Robert Harleys editorial on SET amps before commenting have conceded I lack the abiity to do my own research but have posted many links afd documents concerning the work of others in support of others..

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
Sorry for being off topic here...

I am simply an enthusiast.... I really appreciate the latest & greatest, and I also appreciate the not so latest & greatest. At times I am wrong or mis-informed, but at the end of the day I still enjoy the hobby & most of all the music. One of the first things that attracted me to this site was it's topics, members, professionals, etc... However, I've never felt truly at home on any forum because every website I've ever joined or visited was either a gang of objectivist or subjectivists, the haves & the have not's. The objectivists pray on the thin skin of the subjectivists. The subjectivists recount experiences that range from believable/possible to wild fantasies, and will turn their noses up and tell you that your system is not capable of resolving the finer things in life. Some websites pretend to welcome all, however that's not what I've experienced. I have friends who are from both camps. We all have heard of the term dysfunctional family, AV enthusiast forums are dysfunctional websites. We all enjoy the same hobby, and even though families are disfunctional... they are still a family. Funny, people on AV forums treat each other as if someone kicked their dog.

In the evolution of AV forums, this website has the potential of being a really good one. Don't let that slip away !!! I'm not claiming to know what happens here every second of the day. Nor am I trying to tell anyone how to run their household. I'm just saying simply as an enthusiast, I wanna see a forum that welcomes and is capable of many ideas, thoughts, beliefs, arguments, people, etc... As long it can be done with respect and thought, there is room for all. If you can't handle someone with an opposing view point or can't handle the fact that someone disagrees with you..... you shouldn't publicly share your thoughts. Nor should someone/something be censored because of it. I can't speak for anyone else but me........ but I would like this expression to be true, "You've tried the rest, now try the BEST" !!!

Enjoy the fact that people are different !!! As long as no one is being personally attacked I don't see any reason to censor, restrict, ban anyone for their beliefs/thoughts. Nor is there any reason to deodorize it simply because it's different/challenging.

Disclaimer: No dogs were hurt while typing this post

Enjoy!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'll be glad to be proven wrong. Whether Reg gets a review copy or not, much of those chapters is available via the "Look Inside" link:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Expert-E.../dp/0240821009

So he can read that and post here, and then we'll get a taste for how he'd respond to the entire book.

--Ethan
Did you pay attention? i said I was not requesting a review copy.

No disrepect intended. Once again you overestimate the importance of your opinions to me. The bottom line is getting good sound reproduction is just not as diffcult as some make it out to be.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
In the evolution of AV forums, this website has the potential of being a really good one. Don't let that slip away !!! I'm not claiming to know what happens here every second of the day. Nor am I trying to tell anyone how to run their household. I'm just saying simply as an enthusiast, I wanna see a forum that welcomes and is capable of many ideas, thoughts, beliefs, arguments, people, etc... As long it can be done with respect and thought, there is room for all. If you can't handle someone with an opposing view point or can't handle the fact that someone disagrees with you..... you shouldn't publicly share your thoughts. Nor should someone/something be censored because of it. I can't speak for anyone else but me........ but I would like this expression to be true, "You've tried the rest, now try the BEST" !!!
Very well said and what we absolutely, on daily basis, attempt to make sure is what we are about.

As you say, everything else has been done. The carnage that exists in other forums, and I speak first hand, has no constructive value.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I've just dipped into Ethan's book at page 27 & for the education of everybody (including me) it would be useful if Ethan would reproduce here the text around figure 1.21 & the graph itself. It could form the basis of an interesting discussion!

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Like mdabb, I'm new here, and appreciate the insights and knowledge readily available, though I'm also puzzled by the amount of negative feedback readily meted out. A curious attitude, unfortunately too often found in hifi.
Spending time defending turf usually ends up with one standing still. There are a lot of things waiting to be discovered if one keeps an open attitude.

Ethan's book should be welcomed, not denigrated, no matter the past history, which seems to have been quite incendiary.
That said, I have exhausted my newbie latitude by a significant margin, most likely.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Like mdabb, I'm new here, and appreciate the insights and knowledge readily available, though I'm also puzzled by the amount of negative feedback readily meted out. A curious attitude, unfortunately too often found in hifi.
Spending time defending turf usually ends up with one standing still. There are a lot of things waiting to be discovered if one keeps an open attitude.

Ethan's book should be welcomed, not denigrated, no matter the past history, which seems to have been quite incendiary.
That said, I have exhausted my newbie latitude by a significant margin, most likely.
Not at all. You said well. I have had may share or arguments with Ethan :). But for $40, you are going to learn something about audio that you didn't know the day before. Take a look at the early chapters on Amazon and decide.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Not speaking for the community. You are correct, however you're no longer a newbie here...nor have you exhausted anything. Your posts have always been leveled and educative.
I for one will buy Ethan book. There is much to learn from him ... The negatives were to be expected.. Feathers are ruffled in his book and some interests may feel threatened ...So what?
I am ordering one on Amazon as soon as I get to the USA (for some reasons they keep on rejecting my CC when I am in Haiti)

@Ethan

How can I get a an autographed copy .. You are an internationally recognized author :D ... I will PM you in a few mins ...

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sorry for being off topic here...

I am simply an enthusiast.... I really appreciate the latest & greatest, and I also appreciate the not so latest & greatest. At times I am wrong or mis-informed, but at the end of the day I still enjoy the hobby & most of all the music. One of the first things that attracted me to this site was it's topics, members, professionals, etc... However, I've never felt truly at home on any forum because every website I've ever joined or visited was either a gang of objectivist or subjectivists, the haves & the have not's. The objectivists pray on the thin skin of the subjectivists. The subjectivists recount experiences that range from believable/possible to wild fantasies, and will turn their noses up and tell you that your system is not capable of resolving the finer things in life. Some websites pretend to welcome all, however that's not what I've experienced. I have friends who are from both camps. We all have heard of the term dysfunctional family, AV enthusiast forums are dysfunctional websites. We all enjoy the same hobby, and even though families are disfunctional... they are still a family. Funny, people on AV forums treat each other as if someone kicked their dog.

Enjoy the fact that people are different !!! As long as no one is being personally attacked I don't see any reason to censor, restrict, ban anyone for their beliefs/thoughts. Nor is there any reason to deodorize it simply because it's different/challenging.

Disclaimer: No dogs were hurt while typing this post

Enjoy!

Hi,

Once in a while a post like yours is a breeze of fresh air; thanx! :b
We can tell it's from the heart, with intelligence and compassion.

Our Audio hobby is a fantastic one; and there is simply no reason that we shouldn't enjoy it every single day of our life. It is a hobby, a passion that speaks to our sensitive strings of emotions,
and procures fun in our daily life. To share it with others is to live free. :b

Cheers,
Bob

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Hi Soundproof,

I've read all your posts here at WBF, and they are extremely intelligent and educative.
You're one of my favorite members.
Stay the course my friend. :b

Best regards,
Bob

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
Hi,

Once in a while a post like yours is a breeze of fresh air; thanx! :b
We can tell it's from the heart, with intelligence and compassion.

Our Audio hobby is a fantastic one; and there is simply no reason that we shouldn't enjoy it every single day of our life. It is a hobby, a passion that speaks to our sensitive strings of emotions,
and procures fun in our daily life. To share it with others is to live free. :b

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks !!!

I'll be brief since I don't want to step on anyone's toe's & keep derailing this thread.

I personally visit forums for enjoyment, news, education/information. Not so much for negativity and stress. I understand and appreciate the need to be critical. I appreciate the variety of opinions, some more informed than others. There is a way to be passionate and get your point across respectfully. I'm 35 years old, I've been enjoying HiFi since I was 12-13 years old. When other kids were spending their money on baseball cards I was buying Mofi CD's. I understand the weird culture of the audiophile. There is a lot of great people who make this all possible for us to enjoy, and there are just as many (if not more) who are in it to make a quick buck. Over the years the prices of products & services have grown to unbelievable sums of money. Is it really the technology that's lacking, or is it the way it's manufactured? What products and services are truly quality products & services, state of the art & worth the price? I also don't want to feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman & don't want to worry about all the BS.

Great sound quality, technology, products, services, etc... don't happen by accident. They are based on good science & engineering. What you personally like or think sounds good is more than fine !!! Enjoy it your way, because I'm sure as heck gonna enjoy it my way. However, trying to accurately reproduce the sound of an instrument, the human voice, rain, the crashing of an automobile, or the vocalization of an animal requires more than good taste. Maybe one day we'll all be able to enjoy this kind of technology.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I just ordered the book. I'm confident (some of) the anti-science crowd won't like it.

Very unfair. Ethan is an engineer, not necessarily a scientist, and based on his posts here many of his positions are empirical, not scientific.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yeah, I agree; right from the bat you are confident that some won't like it. Negative confidence.
No big deal, but just the opposite of 'positive encouragement'. :b

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I've just dipped into Ethan's book at page 27 & for the education of everybody (including me) it would be useful if Ethan would reproduce here the text around figure 1.21 & the graph itself. It could form the basis of an interesting discussion!

The figure is attached, and the figure caption is below. The original figure is clear, but the attachment seems fuzzy and small. Hopefully it still gets the point across.

--Ethan

FFT Sound Card.jpg

Figure 1.21: An FFT analysis shows volume level versus frequency, and it is commonly used to assess both the noise and distortion added by audio equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing