The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'm sure Ethan had the opportunity to fully express himself in a 700 page book. Combine that with his company website and numerous postings all over the internet, the only thing left is a reality show on E!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
There are three things never to discuss in public:

1. Politics
2. Religion
3. Audio

As much as I resist in believing it, audio has become as polarizing as religion. There are folks that believe in voodoo and there are folks that don't. Put them in a room together and they will fight to the bitter end. It's just as bad as putting a Baptist and an Atheist in the same room together.

As long as there are folks that believe in something that's not there, and folks that don't, there's gonna be friction. It's a given. Keeping it all under control is a thankless job.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Congrats, Ethan. Other than Amir, I don't think any other members of WBF have written a book, although I suspect many would be competent to do so inasmuch as many have been audio enthusiasts for several decades.

Maybe collectively we at WBF could write our own book!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm sure Ethan had the opportunity to fully express himself in a 700 page book. Combine that with his company website and numerous postings all over the internet, the only thing left is a reality show on E!

LOL....good one Greg!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congrats, Ethan. Other than Amir, I don't think any other members of WBF have written a book, although I suspect many would be competent to do so inasmuch as many have been audio enthusiasts for several decades.

Maybe collectively we at WBF could write our own book!
Actually, WBF gets a mention in Ethan's book but sadly, not in name. If you recall Ethan and I had "an invited" debate here about jitter. I showed the results of HiFi News testing that showed HDMI jitter to be much higher than S/PDIF. Ethan kindly notes that in his book on page 74. So looks like we have our thumbprint on his book :).

BTW, congrats Ethan. Must feel good to have one's name on Amazon. I just went through first pages. I thought the writing was clear and easy to follow.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Right on, Bob! In fact, I'm thinking about collecting all my pearls of wisdom cast forth amongst the swi..... err, the members here, dispproving or otherwise, and making a small fortune casting it further afield. ...

Know any good publishers, Bob?

;);), :b:b
Frank

Good luck Frank! :b

* Best publisher is the one you can trust...

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Rich, sweet! I didn't know. Amir has a book about Unix and now yours. I know 2 does not necessarily mean anything on its own but is there something about audio enthusiasts that make them competent and driven to write books having to do with computers/software?

I have : a C programming text book called Solaris Systems Programming.

Congrats, Ethan! As a fellow author, I know how hard writing a book is...

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Thanks again Mark, my book is now available, both at Amazon and also signed copies direct from me:

Ethan's Audio Book

I promise this is the last time I'll spam the forum about my book. :D

--Ethan

I love how you discredit Michael Fremmer on page 42! Just perusing the preview, it's chock full of graphs and handy reference charts. I'm looking forward to having the book in my hand soon!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I love how you discredit Michael Fremmer on page 42! Just perusing the preview, it's chock full of graphs and handy reference charts. I'm looking forward to having the book in my hand soon!

Oh I'm pretty sure that Michael won't lose any sleep over Ethan's book. Does it come with a DVD with Ethan doing another anti-high-end rant too?

Guess they'll be at least five copies sold. Don't go spending that royalty check just yet.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Oh I'm pretty sure that Michael won't lose any sleep over Ethan's book. Does it come with a DVD with Ethan doing another anti-high-end rant too?

Guess they'll be at least five copies sold. Don't go spending that royalty check just yet.

Myles

Ethan seats at the opposite extreme from your vantage point..He has however backed his positions, often with solid science or pointed to solid research which is to most people more substantial than "I heard it".... The more appropriate response would be to get Ethan Book. Debunk it if you can. prove him wrong in a courteous and rational fashion, in Other words with solid arguments. It would elevate the debate and solidify your position and your contributions more so than veiled ad Hominem and innuendos jabs ... I am close to certain you can get a reviewer copy at no or little cost.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Rich, sweet! I didn't know. Amir has a book about Unix and now yours. I know 2 does not necessarily mean anything on its own but is there something about audio enthusiasts that make them competent and driven to write books having to do with computers/software?

I have no idea! I was into music long before I got into computers (I started at a very early age), and the book was a result of a couple of happy coincidences. Go figure!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles

Ethan seats at the opposite extreme from your vantage point..He has however backed his positions, often with solid science or pointed to solid research which is to most people more substantial than "I heard it".... The more appropriate response would be to get Ethan Book. Debunk it if you can. prove him wrong in a courteous and rational fashion, in Other words with solid arguments. It would elevate the debate and solidify your position and your contributions more so than veiled ad Hominem and innuendos jabs ... I am close to certain you can get a reviewer copy at no or little cost.

Frantz: If only reductionism worked in the real world!

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I showed the results of HiFi News testing that showed HDMI jitter to be much higher than S/PDIF. Ethan kindly notes that in his book on page 74. So looks like we have our thumbprint on his book :).

Yes, and that proves I did learn something from our debate. :D Related, in a (pro audio) forum that has banned me off and on several times, I suggested just this morning a one-on-one as you and I did, and I mentioned that debate and this forum by name.

BTW, congrats Ethan. Must feel good to have one's name on Amazon. I just went through first pages. I thought the writing was clear and easy to follow.

Thanks very much Amir, and everyone else too.

--Ethan

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing