Can some specific drugs or alcohol help enjoying more the music listening experience?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm just curious.

Anyone here find that some enhancing drugs (cocaine, heroin, LSD, hashish, marijuana, or others),
and/or beverages with alcohol (wine, liquors, cognac, rhum, gin, vodka, whiskey, or others),
can contribute to make the music listening experience more pleasurable?

Each person might have his favorite drug or drink of choice to help him/her to get closer to that musical ecstasy... With control & balance of course.

Or is it more negatively detrimental than positively enhancing the overall experience?

I don't want to know what people think; I want to know what each person experienced himself/herself.

Also, comments from experts (doctors, health instructors, etc.) are certainly very welcome.

Me, personally, I don't drink and don't do drugs while listening to music, in most general.
But occasionally, I would have a glass of wine (or two) while practicing my passion.

In the past, when I was youger, yes, I did all of that, but then it was party time and not serious listening.

Furthermore, age coming into account, and also health, have an influence in the total experience.
And our music choices might have switched, or evolved since yesterday...

I think, no, I don't think; I am certain, from personal experience, that even a small amount of drugs or alcohol, even if it's very good sometimes, is not the proper way to truly concentrate on the music playing, and get in touch with the messages of the artists, plus the emotional calibrations that they convey.
What I directly mean is that a natural state of mind and body and soul, is the best recipe for a true, healthy, and natural music listening experience.

But perhaps some other members here have a different point of view from their own personal experiences...

Now shoot! :b

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
A nice one, Bob ... :b

As mentioned before, definitely not in my bag of tricks. The one exception was that some years ago I did the rounds of listening to a number of systems, as part of a hifi club, and there was generally decent quantities of red available at these social gatherings. To put it bluntly, all the setups had various problems, so the addition of a slight alcohol haze helped one to get through the evening, at times rose coloured glasses are very handy things to put on ...

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
So Frank, what you're saying is that red wine can add some distortion to mask the already exposed distortions from the music reproduction chain, right. ...Good one. :b

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Years.... (and years) ago when I was doing my anesthesia training there was a website that I always loved to read. It was pseudo scientific where this person or persons would take a pre determined amount of a drug. There would always be people in the scientific community that would document the experience that these people would tell them. I was always intrigued by what my patients were actually going through. Drugs such as Ketamine, Fentanyl, Diazepam and also the Schedule I drugs as well were used. There was some drugs that made the participants hypersensitive to sound.

Here's something what I'm talking about.

Erowid's Vault

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
So Frank, what you're saying is that red wine can add some distortion to mask the already exposed distortions from the music reproduction chain, right. ...Good one. :b
I think one thing it does is to effectively add treble cut to the ear/brain thing: equivalent to donning a very mild set of noise reduction headphones ...

Frank

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
In my long ago fraternity days I vaguely remember that Prince and the Gap Band were like catnip to coeds. I'm sure the cheap beer helped too! Funny thing, I still own every Prince and Gap Band record....

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I once listened to Bach while coming off of valium (after a surgical procedure). It was interesting, but I don't recall much about it, specifically. I think I prefer having my full faculties on hand when listening to music critically.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Back in the days of my rebel-rousing youth I experimented with some drugs, and once, while on acid, I listened to Jimi Hendrix' Star Spangled Banner. It freaked me right out and scared the living daylight out of me. That was the last time I took a hallucinatory substance. I might have a beer or a glass of wine while listening to music, which I do find helps to relax me at times, but most often I just go into a listening session "au natural".

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My audio enhancement of choice is an excellent California cabernet called Silver Spoon. It both widens and deepens the sound stage, and significantly improves resolution and microdynamics. When measured for a recent review, though, SS showed no alchohol content at all, but I can both taste the alchohol (which is superb in its clarity, BTW) and feel its effects. Either we're not measuring the right things, or there is some as of yet undiscovered, more natural, alchohol there that is unknown (and superior!). Time will reveal it, I'm sure.

:)

Tim

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Interesting and complicated question since the use of mind altering substances is so intricately connected with performers and the "creative process."

I would say if you NEED a mind altering substance to enjoy music, maybe you should detox for a while and try it on its own terms.

I have done my share in the day, but haven't had a mind altering substance for decades except for caffeine. Except for strict medical requirements, I hope to keep it that way.

I seem to like my music more than ever, it is a pretty potent mind altering substance in its own right.

Carlos Santana said music rearranges your atoms, and I kind of know what he means.

When I was a student at Bezerkely, I remember a conversation between two of the guys in the frat. There was a sprinkler creating beautiful rainbows in the sunlight. One guy said " that would really look great if we were stoned." The other guy did a double take back and said "yeah, it really looks like **** the way it is."

Then there is the joke about the guys coming out of the Grateful Dead concert. "They shouldn't have kept playing after the drugs wore off."

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
My audio enhancement of choice is an excellent California cabernet called Silver Spoon. It both widens and deepens the sound stage, and significantly improves resolution and microdynamics. When measured for a recent review, though, SS showed no alchohol content at all, but I can both taste the alchohol (which is superb in its clarity, BTW) and feel its effects. Either we're not measuring the right things, or there is some as of yet undiscovered, more natural, alchohol there that is unknown (and superior!). Time will reveal it, I'm sure.

Tim

Now you are taking the p!ss :) :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Tim

Yet another jab at audiophiles, but this time disguised as humor. Very funny Tim.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Interesting and complicated question since the use of mind altering substances is so intricately connected with performers and the "creative process."

I would say if you NEED a mind altering substance to enjoy music, maybe you should detox for a while and try it on its own terms.

I have done my share in the day, but haven't had a mind altering substance for decades except for caffeine. Except for strict medical requirements, I hope to keep it that way.

I seem to like my music more than ever, it is a pretty potent mind altering substance in its own right.

Carlos Santana said music rearranges your atoms, and I kind of know what he means.

<snip>"

My sentiments exactly

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Best Jazz musicians & singers ever were all heroin addicts.

I would say their talent was in spite of, not because of, their addiction. Unfortunately, those that don't get clean also die young, and those few who make it to middle age have terrible degradation of their playing

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I would say their talent was in spite of, not because of, their addiction. Unfortunately, those that don't get clean also die young, and those few who make it to middle age have terrible degradation of their playing

And most of those who left great legacies kicked the habit.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing