Vandersteen Model 7

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I have a pair of 5s that I really enjoy. I haven't yet heard the 7s and have only read some show notes and the Stereophile review. Has anyone given the 7s a good listen? What were your impressions?

Bob_PFC=Good

May 20, 2010
USA
I have yet to hear them, but of all my speakers the 5s is my favorite. If I know Richard, the 7 must be very good. Funny story about my 5 Signatures, Richard was in the area and I asked him to take a magic marker to the top of both my speakers, to put his REAL signature on them. The plate on the back of the speakers is not how he really signs… he said “This is a first, I have never actually signed the speakers myself”.
A truly good guy and he really knows his stuff as well.

Bob

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
AVguide.com just posted Robert Harley's extremely favorable review of the Model 7:

http://www.avguide.com/review/vandersteen-audio-model-7-loudspeaker

I know that Harley has reviewed some other statement speakers such as the Wilsons. But this review doesn't have much to say about how the 7s compare with specific competitors (other than a brief reference to the less expensive Revel Salon2s.) Harley concludes that if he had to pick now, these are the speakers that he would spend the rest of his life with.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
AVguide.com just posted Robert Harley's extremely favorable review of the Model 7:

I know that Harley has reviewed some other statement speakers such as the Wilsons. But this review doesn't have much to say about how the 7s compare with specific competitors (other than a brief reference to the less expensive Revel Salon2s.) Harley concludes that if he had to pick now, these are the speakers that he would spend the rest of his life with.

Harley has a long-term love affair with Vandersteen speakers. He loved the 5A and 5 as well as many lower-priced earlier models.

Stereophile's measurements of the 7 are here.

tyree91

May 13, 2010
Rocky Mountain Empire
A pair of Model VIIs are coming this week in Bentley Rubino Red. Vandersteen applies 40 coats of Automotive Finish to each carbon fiber enclosure. Deep paint. Comments to follow. Norm

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A pair of Model VIIs are coming this week in Bentley Rubino Red. Vandersteen applies 40 coats of Automotive Finish to each carbon fiber enclosure. Deep paint. Comments to follow. Norm

Congrats what are you going to drive them with?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Doesn't he say something close to that after every one of his speaker reviews?

tyree91

May 13, 2010
Rocky Mountain Empire
Congrats what are you going to drive them with?

Aesthetix: Rhea Sig, Calypso Sig, Romulus, and Atlas Monos. Oracle Delphi Mk V, Graham 2.2, Dynavector XX-2. Home built Server w/ SS drive, SOtM USB Card, Core Audio Linear PS, OWC 2 TB e Firewire Storage Drive (28,000 WAV Files,) Audioquest Diamond Firewire and USB Cable, Win 8.1, jRiver19, and dB PowerAmp Ripper. AQ Digital & Analogue Cables. Thanks for asking, Norm

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Aesthetix: Rhea Sig, Calypso Sig, Romulus, and Atlas Monos. Oracle Delphi Mk V, Graham 2.2, Dynavector XX-2. Home built Server w/ SS drive, SOtM USB Card, Core Audio Linear PS, OWC 2 TB e Firewire Storage Drive (28,000 WAV Files,) Audioquest Diamond Firewire and USB Cable, Win 8.1, jRiver19, and dB PowerAmp Ripper. AQ Digital & Analogue Cables. Thanks for asking, Norm

Should be sweet combo. The Atlas' always sounded good driving the 7s in the Vandersteen room at CES!

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I heard the 7s at Raleigh last year, with Richard driving them with ARCs best stuff. Excellent! Vandersteens have always been a great all around speaker to me. Richard was there discussing the particulars and what a cool guy- loves music and it shows. I also heard the Quatros driven by Ayre and the sound was also very good. Awesome sound for the $ with any of the Vandersteens.

tyree91

May 13, 2010
Rocky Mountain Empire
Installed, breaking in. Replaced an early pair of 5As.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Installed, breaking in. Replaced an early pair of 5As.

Congrats and enjoy! Look forward to update posts soon. Good luck.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard the Quattros driven by NAT Audios - 120w SET amps - awesome, along with Avalons and Verity these are the only box speakers that I like. Also their bass tunes well to a room unlike Avalons. I heard the V7s at Munich. I have ARC reference 3 and 110, so might get a inhouse demo of Quattros before I switch to new planars

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I have heard the Quattros driven by NAT Audios - 120w SET amps - awesome, along with Avalons and Verity these are the only box speakers that I like. Also their bass tunes well to a room unlike Avalons. I heard the V7s at Munich. I have ARC reference 3 and 110, so might get a inhouse demo of Quattros before I switch to new planars

I like your choices. The current quatro actually replaces the model 5a (discontinued) I've heard the 7s at shows and dealer showrooms and I think the 5 carbon is the equal of the 7. Id have a hard time choosing between the two, if price were a consideration id take the 5 carbon all day long.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I like your choices. The current quatro actually replaces the model 5a (discontinued) I've heard the 7s at shows and dealer showrooms and I think the 5 carbon is the equal of the 7. Id have a hard time choosing between the two, if price were a consideration id take the 5 carbon all day long.

+1

--the 5A Carbons seem more open and cohesive than the 7's

BruceD

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
I just heard the Seven Mk. II at Audio Connection--best system I've ever heard. Jon was using an Aesthetix Romulus Signature, Calypso Eclipse, and Atlas Signature Stereo.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Could have a bigger sweet spot for me, and some more punch below 30z.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Could have a bigger sweet spot for me, and some more punch below 30z.

Says a member whose moniker is "16hz" no less! love it! ...as a bass freak myself, i have never heard the Vandersteen 7s...and in fact, the last time i heard any Vandersteen, it must have been the 1b or whatever they were producing in the late '90s. But i can confirm i have yet to hear any speaker where i would not seek to use some [properly] added sub-frequencies...with the possible exception of the Genesis 1.1 4-tower speakers. Even the mighty Arrakis, I thought, was capable of just that much more presence with a very, very well set up all-out pair of subs. In fact, i think there is an Arrakis on Audiogon where the owner has subs alongside them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing