Preamp help.........

RDB

Jan 8, 2012
Niagara Falls NY.
Hi WBF
I'm currently looking for a new preamp. A linestage will suffice as I don't have a turntable. I've been searching and have come up with four I'm really considering. Balanced would be nice but not necessary. So here is the four I'm considering:

conrad-johnson et3.
Primaluna Prologue Premium.
Mystere ca21.
conrad-johnson classic se.

I don't have any dealers near me to audition personally so I have to rely on reviews and input from others.

If anyone has any suggestions other than the four I've listed please chime in.

My max budget is $2.5k(et3).

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
This advice comes from someone who is not following it but...why not an Audio Research preamp?, what are you looking after once you decide?

RDB

Jan 8, 2012
Niagara Falls NY.
This advice comes from someone who is not following it but...why not an Audio Research preamp?, what are you looking after once you decide?

I already have an ARC preamp(it's listed in my signature). I just want something different. I would dearly love to have the LS17, but it's just not in my budget and I prefer not to buy used.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Yeap, I saw that in your current component list - my humble advice is not to change unless you first have an idea of what you are after (more transparency, warmth, resolution, etc..). Some have been there and you will surely find something different but end trapped in a moving-target-game.

RDB

Jan 8, 2012
Niagara Falls NY.
Yeap, I saw that in your current component list - my humble advice is not to change unless you first have an idea of what you are after (more transparency, warmth, resolution, etc..). Some have been there and you will surely find something different but end trapped in a moving-target-game.

I hear ya, but think of all the fun I'd have comparing. I do like the warmth of tubes.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I hear ya, but think of all the fun I'd have comparing. I do like the warmth of tubes.

Then you really don't want an ARC LS-17. I owned one and it sounded more SS than any tube pre I have ever owned. Boring too. I was glad to get my money back out of it after I kicked it to the curb.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
RDB, I know that you would prefer not to buy used, however, the preamp that I would suggest would be a used CAT SL1 Sig, which can be found at your price point.
I believe that it would match well with your other gear and would be a MAJOR improvement over your current ARC.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I purchased a used LS25MK1 in your price range. It sucked, so beware. The SP16 is supposed to be pretty decent however and is cheap (1500 used). The Ref 1 would be the first ARC i would go after these days---if you can stretch your budget by 500.

Lamm LL2 or a Hovland HP100 are good in your price range. However, these are non-remote options. I've auditioned the Vac/Rogue/Cary/VTL cheaper options in the past and liked the Cary the best. Not sure that is a good match for your ARC amp however.

Mixing CJ and ARC seems like a bad idea.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had the LL2 preamp, as good as it is, not sure if it delivers the classic tube sound that he is looking after...

RDB

Jan 8, 2012
Niagara Falls NY.
The hunt is over. Case closed. I demoed a Mcintosh c220 in my system yesterday. I was so impressed that I bought it.

This is a full function preamp as it includes a built in phono stage.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Enjoy!!! If you can be bothered to do it, could you describe how it compared to other preamps you auditioned? If you can, it would be good to read to keep in 'my notes' for the future. Thanks!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
congrats!

be sure to change out the POS stock tubes. you will be in for a major surprise. for sane money, the Psvanes 12ax7s are hard to beat and are new/readily available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing