Sim2 Nero Professional Review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you. the flatpanel wont work since this needs to go up into the ceiling. However, at 23.5 feet, it projects 8.4 feet by your reckoning, and the actual diagonal is a little over 9 feet. As for brightness, we shall see if the JVC is up to it...i am told it is not the highest lumens but it has exceptionally good contrast for the price. Thanks again for advising here, as we've never investigated before.
My pleasure. The JVC indeed rules the roost on overall contrast ratio (it has very low black level). Its pixel fidelity though is not as good as DLP projectors which have simple mirrors that reflect light. But I doubt that would be a concern.

My recommendation is to make all of this the responsibility of your AV guy to get right. There are a lot of ins and outs to fit a projector and screen to a space and you want him to be responsible to satisfy you. The moment you second guess what he is going to do, if it doesn't work out, he will just say you told him to do it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My pleasure. The JVC indeed rules the roost on overall contrast ratio (it has very low black level). Its pixel fidelity though is not as good as DLP projectors which have simple mirrors that reflect light. But I doubt that would be a concern.

My recommendation is to make all of this the responsibility of your AV guy to get right. There are a lot of ins and outs to fit a projector and screen to a space and you want him to be responsible to satisfy you. The moment you second guess what he is going to do, if it doesn't work out, he will just say you told him to do it.

Good to know! Thanks...would you personally buy this unit over anything else in its price range or below? Thanks for any other recommendations now that you know a little bit more about some of my requirements.

And yes, this will be set up by the AV guy, and i intend to tell him what i need, what my budget is, and what i am interested in considering...but leave him to make the recommendations to me...and then stand by them on performance when setup.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have lost touch of specific JVC units but yes, I have an older JVC projector myself and contrast and image quality is excellent. If you wanted to same some money, Epson rules the world in the sub $4,000 range. Performance above the JVC, would cost you 3 to 10 times more so I think the JVC is the right choice if it fits your budget.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have lost touch of specific JVC units but yes, I have an older JVC projector myself and contrast and image quality is excellent. If you wanted to same some money, Epson rules the world in the sub $4,000 range. Performance above the JVC, would cost you 3 to 10 times more so I think the JVC is the right choice if it fits your budget.

Perfect! I am definitely NOT willing to spend 3-10x more than the JVC unit, so that suits us just fine. Thanks!

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
....That said: if the room is going to be the living room, may not be totally pitch black due to large picture windows and light from an adjacent room BEHIND the screen (which will come down from the ceiling)...

Light control is essential for the best picture quality with front projection. The adjacent room behind the screen might not be too bad, but picture windows will almost certainly need treatment, especially for daytime viewing.

Steve mentioned that his projector was mounted much closer to the screen than his seating position. I gather that you have reasons that make this undesirable / unworkable, but this gives much more flexibility with projector choices -- now, and in the future.

Ron

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Light control is essential for the best picture quality with front projection. The adjacent room behind the screen might not be too bad, but picture windows will almost certainly need treatment, especially for daytime viewing.

Steve mentioned that his projector was mounted much closer to the screen than his seating position. I gather that you have reasons that make this undesirable / unworkable, but this gives much more flexibility with projector choices -- now, and in the future.

Ron

Thank you. Yes, both the picture window behind and in front (just behind the seating position so around 24 feet away as well...will have blinds that totally block light when called for. And yes, the only spot for the projector is really the far opposite wall so actually about 24 feet is as close as it will be.

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At 24.4 feet, the JVC spec shows a 120" minimum 16:9 screen. That's about 8.7 feet wide. JVC notes that the lens throw range might vary up to +/- 5%. Usually the distance is measured from the front of the lens, but I couldn't easily find how JVC does it.

Any reason you couldn't do a somewhat larger screen? Some "standard" Stewart 16:9 sizes are 123" and 135" diagonal. I think the 135" might be a good choice. Note that custom screen sizes are readily available.

Motorized tab-tensioned screen?

Ron

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
At 24.4 feet, the JVC spec shows a 120" minimum 16:9 screen. That's about 8.7 feet wide. JVC notes that the lens throw range might vary up to +/- 5%. Usually the distance is measured from the front of the lens, but I couldn't easily find how JVC does it.

Any reason you couldn't do a somewhat larger screen? Some "standard" Stewart 16:9 sizes are 123" and 135" diagonal. I think the 135" might be a good choice. Note that custom screen sizes are readily available.

Motorized tab-tensioned screen?

Ron

Ron, I really appreciate it...thanks. It is always great here to get help from knowledgeable people. At the moment, we calc just about 9.2 foot diagonal screen because we are hiding the entire screen/motor inside a "giant moulding" that comes down from the ceiling 2 feet to demarcate the 2 rooms. By hiding the screen inside this moulding, we would not need a box up hung on the wall to hide the screen, and i am not sure we have the room in the ceiling due to the apartment upstairs.

This moulding comes down each corner of the room and is 8 feet apart...we cannot really change this to widen it since its too intricate. In any event, hopefully this still just about going to squeek by in terms of the projector and how it need to operate.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

We've got the Epson ProCinema 6010. Paid well under $3K several years ago...came with 3D glasses and a spare lamp. It along with a 110" Stewart screen is outstanding. Is there better? No doubt but no way would I upgrade...love it..

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We've got the Epson ProCinema 6010. Paid well under $3K several years ago...came with 3D glasses and a spare lamp. It along with a 110" Stewart screen is outstanding. Is there better? No doubt but no way would I upgrade...love it..
Epson has gone from cheap and OK picture to cheap and great picture over the years and the Pro Cinema 6010 is a superb example of that. They have done a phenomenal job of improving their technology and have essentially closed the gap that used to exist. What is great about them is the super flexibility in their designs as far as installation. Some installers shy away from them because unless you do a lot of business with them, they have pretty low profit margins.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing