Sim2 Nero Professional Review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
First one out after my mini one :).

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sim2-nero-3d-1_Projector_review

Although it’s understandably not as perfect as Sim2's massively more expensive Lumis 3D-S (our projector of the year), considered on its own terms the Nero 3D-1 is still an adorable bit of kit that once again shows that for now, at least, nobody does projected 3D as well as Sim2.

[...]

Verdict
Inevitably given the £17,000 price difference (!), the Nero 3D-1 isn’t quite as downright astonishing as Sim2’s award-winning Lumis 3D-S. Its 3D images aren’t as bright, and there’s more judder and sporadic, faint traces of the rainbow effect.

However, the precision, clarity, contrast, sharpness, colour accuracy and stunning purity of the Nero 3D-1’s images remain so far ahead of mainstream 3D projectors right now that its £13K price almost looks like a bargain. Our time with the Nero 3D-1 merely underlines our feeling when testing the Lumis 3D-S that you just haven’t seen domestic full HD 3D until you’ve seen it on a Sim2 projector.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Note that this projector comes in different models with varying amount of brightness. The one they reviewed is the lowest brightness one.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
projector

Note that this projector comes in different models with varying amount of brightness. The one they reviewed is the lowest brightness one.

Well, I very nearly went for the cheaper sim2 crystal35, but then decided on a great offer for a Mitsubishi hc5. The offer for a demomodel was so low that I hope, all is fine! Is that at all comparable?
- I admit, i bought the hc5 purely on recommendations in the net; something I don't do in Audio.

So are the Sim2 pj that much better than anything else, or do they cook with water?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How many pairs of glasses come bundled with the projector?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It was open for anybody :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So are the Sim2 pj that much better than anything else, or do they cook with water?
The difference between high-end and lower end projectors has closed substantially in the last few years. So no, there is not a huge difference. But from my testing, there are smaller differentials like quality of the lens. The cheaper lenses will bleed more and I often see this in mass market projectors.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
OK gents, so after 3-4 years of waiting with our trusty ole 32' flatscreen (which we only bought because the 10-yr old tv before that went up in smoke literally), we are now in the market for an 8 foot screen and frontview projector. The seating is 27' (as will have to the projector distance) for an 8' screen. Ceiling is 11' high.

I have read about the JVC DLA X700 as being excellent performance up to that pricepoint. I also have heard about Stewartscreen but know nothing about screen gain, etc. We've got an audio tech/electrician who wires a lot of studios and will be doing the overall work from the junction box in the street. he definitely said Stewart Screen, and i am likely to trust in much of what he says.

That said: if the room is going to be the living room, may not be totally pitch black due to large picture windows and light from an adjacent room BEHIND the screen (which will come down from the ceiling)...what do people recommend in:

- frontview projector up to the same price bracket (7K)
- screen? specifically any particular model of screen or characteristic? Gain, etc? Thanks for any advice!!!

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
.... we are now in the market for an 8 foot screen and frontview projector. The seating is 27' (as will have to the projector distance) for an 8' screen. ...

An 8 foot (wide? diagonal?) screen seems on the small side for a 27 foot viewing distance.

A 27 foot throw distance for that screen size may be beyond the zoom range of many projectors. According to the JVC data sheet, at 27 feet, the smallest screen is about 130 inch diagonal.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've told Lloyd the same thing. Depends on the focal point of the lens but none have such a large throw distance. When I had my Sim2 I was sitting 25 feet back but the projector was mounted 12 feet from the screen and I had an 11 foot screen

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
An 8 foot (wide? diagonal?) screen seems on the small side for a 27 foot viewing distance.

A 27 foot throw distance for that screen size may be beyond the zoom range of many projectors. According to the JVC data sheet, at 27 feet, the smallest screen is about 130 inch diagonal.

Thanks. It is 8 foot horizontal so a bit longer diagonal, and the 27 foot distance i think we could make 23 feet but that's about it unfortunately. The AV guy did not seem fussed about the distance, so i am hoping he is right.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've told Lloyd the same thing. Depends on the focal point of the lens but none have such a large throw distance. When I had my Sim2 I was sitting 25 feet back but the projector was mounted 12 feet from the screen and I had an 11 foot screen

Thanks, Steve...sounds like something we need to figure out properly. Will ask over here.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks, Steve...sounds like something we need to figure out properly. Will ask over here.

Let us know Lloyd as I would sure like to know if you can mount a projector 27 feet back for an 8 foot screen. PerhOs things have changed since I did my theater

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Let us know Lloyd as I would sure like to know if you can mount a projector 27 feet back for an 8 foot screen. PerhOs things have changed since I did my theater

Thanks for following this, Steve...much appreciated. And yes, will definitely update.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for following this, Steve...much appreciated. And yes, will definitely update.
The key specification is called the "throw ratio." It is the maximum distance the projector can be, relative to the image width. The JVC DLA X700 for example, has a 2.8:1 throw ratio. Using 8 feet for your screen size, max distance will be 22 feet, 5 inches.

The Sim2 projectors tend to have quit a bit more restrictive configurations. The Superlumis for example can only be set back maximum of just 13 feet using their T1 lens. It is a trade off between lens fidelity and maximum flexibility. Fortunately they provide other lens options that let it go much farther back. But the cost will be much higher than the JVC.

At your screen size, have you considered a flat panel? 80 to 90 inch sets are pretty approachable these days and while in fully darkened room can't compete with the best projectors, in any other situation they will be quite a bit brighter and of course, much cheaper to install.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The farther away you mount your front projector from the screen the more light output you would need for the same screen's size diameter.

Amir, in a complete darkened room a quality front projector delivers more contrast and brightness than a flat panel HD or UHD TV? ...More lumens?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The farther away you mount your front projector from the screen the more light output you would need for the same screen's size diameter.
That is a very good point.

Amir, in a complete darkened room a quality front projector delivers more contrast and brightness than a flat panel HD or UHD TV? ...More lumens?
Depending on the unit, yes. An LCD can look pretty washed out relative to the dark levels of the JVC for example. Now, OLED would be a different animal but not available at these large sizes.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The key specification is called the "throw ratio." It is the maximum distance the projector can be, relative to the image width. The JVC DLA X700 for example, has a 2.8:1 throw ratio. Using 8 feet for your screen size, max distance will be 22 feet, 5 inches.

The Sim2 projectors tend to have quit a bit more restrictive configurations. The Superlumis for example can only be set back maximum of just 13 feet using their T1 lens. It is a trade off between lens fidelity and maximum flexibility. Fortunately they provide other lens options that let it go much farther back. But the cost will be much higher than the JVC.

At your screen size, have you considered a flat panel? 80 to 90 inch sets are pretty approachable these days and while in fully darkened room can't compete with the best projectors, in any other situation they will be quite a bit brighter and of course, much cheaper to install.

Thank you. the flatpanel wont work since this needs to go up into the ceiling. However, at 23.5 feet, it projects 8.4 feet by your reckoning, and the actual diagonal is a little over 9 feet. As for brightness, we shall see if the JVC is up to it...i am told it is not the highest lumens but it has exceptionally good contrast for the price. Thanks again for advising here, as we've never investigated before.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hey Northstar...thanks for that. Any thoughts on this JVC DLA x700 unit?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing