Does it make sense to put isolation devices under speakers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Per PM, try the Ultra 5s and the Magico QPods. I still have the original Stillpoints+granite+sorbothane+EAR Isodamp under the turntable and the Isodamp+granite+felt under the speakers. You really have to fit hard on the rack to hear feedback from the TT, and the floor no longer sings along the speakers - the energy is focused on the speakers' woofers, very significant improvement. I bet the Magico device is the better option.

Thank you!!! Very interesting and will speak to dealer about both.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We went from carpet on concrete to a glued-down wood floor in the listening room. My 190# speakers were coupled to the concrete floor via spikes but when the wood floor showed up I wasn't keen on the spike on cup solution so here's what I came up with but be forewarned...very inexpensive fix ahead:

View attachment 6800

Those threaded inserts are brass (not unobtainium) and the hockey pucks are from Czechoslovakia (not China...gasp). Does it sound better than spikes on concrete? Well there were two changes occurring simultaneously: 1) the speaker footings and 2) going from a carpeted room to a wood floor. I can say with certainty that it sounds every bit as good and my lovely floor is protected. One thing that does sound very good is the cost: less than 20 bucks.

Thank you! Very good idea...i am afraid with 600lb speakers, i am not sure what would happen if i tried this experiment. They are already spiked by Wilson quite well...so just curious given how extraordinary the Ultra SS were compared to the Audio Aero feet which seemed quite well constructed...how the Ultras might fare under the big Wilsons...particularly as by all accounts, the speakers seem to benefit most from the Stillpoints Ultras.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I can say with a fair degree of certainty that hockey pucks on a wood over concrete floor are the least satisfying of the various footers I've tried. I recently replaced my previous (best) reference small cones spiked directly into the hardwood with 3 Aurios footers per speaker, with a small but noticeable improvement mostly in midrange clarity. The Aurios aren't even screwed into my 250 lbs (12" x 16") speaker bases; they are very stable even with only three per speaker.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I can say with a fair degree of certainty that hockey pucks on a wood over concrete floor are the least satisfying of the various footers I've tried....and why does that not surprise me?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing