What country has the best beer?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
TBH most local craft beers now surpass anything in Europe or Canada, IMHO. Travel outlay is not needed.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
TBH most local craft beers now surpass anything in Europe or Canada, IMHO. Travel outlay is not needed.
Absolutely. The growth in that sector has been a blessing for all beer lovers.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have to agree. I used to drink Belgium Duvel, but something like Sierra Nevada Torpedo can easily hold it's own, at a fraction of the price.

Custodian

May 26, 2013
For me, Belgium easily tops the list. Westvleteren 12 (when you can get it) is wonderful. St Bernardus ABT is a good substitute if Westvleteren is unobtainable. Rochefort 12 is excellent.

Take care with some of these beers. Serving temperatures should be a touch higher than our American friends are used too. I keep Westvleteren 12 at 8c so that it is around 10c when drunk. Too cold and the flavours close in.

The other problem is getting enough bottles in my 911 when I call at My favourite beer shop in Ghent.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My goto Import is Pilsner Urquell. Have been drinking it for decades, and so far no other beer has been able to take its spot.

You beat me to it...just had one this weekend. I will say, one super-big health warning. I have no idea why, BUT in my 25 years of experience with Pilsner Urquell i have found it MUCH more sensitive to whether its been stored cold properly the whole time or not. I have had some real dogs, and some wonderful top of the line experiences...all from the bottle.

I hate to sound like an audiophile (i 'can tell the difference!') but i came away after many years with the thought that poorly transported/kept, and somehow this beer does not survive as well some others which i presume are no more and no less well stored than Pilsner Urquell. A serious wild-guess, but that is the only explanation i could come up with.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I also like Carlsberg Elephant which is super-dark and bitter, but (for me) very refined. I am NO beer drinker. I had a Pilsner Urquell last weekend, and before then it might have been 5-10 years since i had my last beer. Much more whisky and wine, with 2 great vodkas, and high quality special rums from occasionally since my wife enjoys them.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
As far as I am concerned the "best" is whatever beer I like, whereever I am. Summer/spring time a good saison or a wiessbeer are great, winter/fall a toasted porter is hard to beat.

My best recent experience was at the Munich show. Found a little place near the MOC, dunkelweiss was superb!

Germany? Belgium? Czech? someone else?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I also like Carlsberg Elephant which is super-dark and bitter, but (for me) very refined. I am NO beer drinker. I had a Pilsner Urquell last weekend, and before then it might have been 5-10 years since i had my last beer. Much more whisky and wine, with 2 great vodkas, and high quality special rums from occasionally since my wife enjoys them.

Carlsberg "Special Brew"--in the Purple Cans---was my Fav:p

BruceD

Decibel

May 14, 2016
For everyday
botella_estrella_galicia_especial-1.png
For really enjoy
botella550937-cerveza-cerveza-estrella-galicia-1906-red-vintage-24x33cl.jpg

Attachments

• botella550937-cerveza-cerveza-estrella-galicia-1906-red-vintage-24x33cl.jpg
    botella550937-cerveza-cerveza-estrella-galicia-1906-red-vintage-24x33cl.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For me, Belgium easily tops the list. Westvleteren 12 (when you can get it) is wonderful. St Bernardus ABT is a good substitute if Westvleteren is unobtainable. Rochefort 12 is excellent.

Take care with some of these beers. Serving temperatures should be a touch higher than our American friends are used too. I keep Westvleteren 12 at 8c so that it is around 10c when drunk. Too cold and the flavours close in.

The other problem is getting enough bottles in my 911 when I call at My favourite beer shop in Ghent.

Yup, Belgium. Call me unbiased, I'm not from there, not even close.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Westvleteren, Westmael, Achel, Chimay, Rochefort and Orval.... Nothing comes close with a soft spot for Orval. And not forgetting Affligem Blond.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
From Belgium with love WIN_20181201_21_43_57_Pro.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Beer like wine varies from regions and from year to year.
When you check on the internet which country makes the best beer, it's like a dart board...1 to 20.
For sure Belgium and Germany come back often @ the top.
But who here has tasted all the beers, different brands and every year? Nobody, that's who.

I checked approximately fifty links to see if there was consistency as to which country is the best tasty beer producer/artisan maker, and I also looked @ the year those professionnel scientific reports/articles were written. It's like a 3-dimensional chess game.
In 2018 what are The World's 50 Best Beers - 2018 Ranking ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing