What country has the best beer?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Netherlands (but I'm biased)

Heineken, Grolsch, Amstel, Bavaria...what's not to like! I'll admit however that I really like the Czech beers and those of other Eastern European countries. I've had several Polish beers, and they are most enjoyable.

Justav

Jan 2, 2011
SF, CA
Germany, without doubt, and lots more bias. Even though this is geographically still way too coarse...
So more specifically, Cologne, Germany! Followed closely by Bamberg and surrounding areas in northern Bavaria. Unfortunately, the local beers from these regions are not widely available in the US.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Mongolia!!!!!

Germany, without doubt, and lots more bias. Even though this is geographically still way too coarse...
So more specifically, Cologne, Germany! Followed closely by Bamberg and surrounding areas in northern Bavaria. Unfortunately, the local beers from these regions are not widely available in the US.

..WELL, errrr, ACTUALLLLY

Mongolia, without a doubt!

No seriously, I recently had a really good one in a bar in Ulan Batar, where they brew their own, not the usual dschingis khaan..

the problem arises now, if the brewer is german, does that make it a mongolian or a german beer?

e

PS I don't like beer, I am a wine drinker. Otherwise Czech beer is good.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
however that I really like the Czech beers .

Pilsner Urquell is my favorite. Though i admit that i have found it can be shockingly inconsistent...i am going to guess it has to do with refrigeration? if you warm it up and let it sit around and then serve cold, something happens and it aint the same? less preservatives? though it is alcohol...dont know. Just have had that experience...stunning generally but 1 in 10 awful.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The Czechs! Complexity, full flavors, yet never heavy, always easy drinking. Great balance I like Czechvar and Radegast better than PU. Staropramen is a disappointment, Kozel is great but very tough to find. I've been told that the PU here uses hop extract, don't know if that's true. Germany #2, but I'm not a heavy Belgian beer type.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like beers from Belgium and of course Mexico...biased me?

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
What's your favorite Mexican beer? Have done extensive 'research' and usually wind up at Dos Equis or Bohemia. Pacifico has a bit more flavor than I expect from a Corona-style beer.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I remember several years ago in Paris while strolling the Champs Elysees we stopped at a local bistro for a beer. The host recommended one called Diablo which according to him had the highest alcohol content of any beer (15%). I had two on that hot day and was out of touch with reality for several hours :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
What kind of beer? For pilsners and other "lighter" beers, there is a ton of competition from across Europe and, evidently, in Mexico. For ales - ambers, browns, stouts...the UK doesn't have any serious competition that I know of except for some small US microbreweries, brewing in the style of the UK beers.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you ever find yourself in the Province of Quebec, Canada, be sure to check out their local micro-breweries. Be forewarned however, they have a tendency to produce higher alcohol-content brews, which is not something I'm personally fond of.

That little intro brings up Canada as a whole. And while not traditionally recognized as a world-class beer producing nation (the Europeans will always hold that distinction), it does produce some outstanding brews that are well worth trying out, if they happen to be available where you live.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If you ever find yourself in the Province of Quebec, Canada, be sure to check out their local micro-breweries. Be forewarned however, they have a tendency to produce higher alcohol-content brews, which is not something I'm personally fond of.

That little intro brings up Canada as a whole. And while not traditionally recognized as a world-class beer producing nation (the Europeans will always hold that distinction), it does produce some outstanding brews that are well worth trying out, if they happen to be available where you live.

Molson Golden
Labatt's Blue
Carling Black Label
are 3 that come to mind John

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Oh, I dunno, I suspect that Canada, like the US, has microbreweries producing world-class stuff in the European traditions. And I suspect the best of them are occasionally breaking those traditions with great results. There are wines coming out of California that are as good as anything from France. I have no reason to believe beer is more difficult. Tradition and innovation are often at odds.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oh, I dunno, I suspect that Canada, like the US, has microbreweries producing world-class stuff in the European traditions. And I suspect the best of them are occasionally breaking those traditions with great results. There are wines coming out of California that are as good as anything from France. I have no reason to believe beer is more difficult. Tradition and innovation are often at odds.

Tim

Oh, I agree Tim. And if I may (sorry for the slight O/T), Icewine is a good example of that innovation. We need more of it, so I for one am grateful and supportive of local micro-breweries (and wineries too).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What about Belgium
My fav from Austria is Samiclaus

Belgium was mentioned by the OP...Stella Artois anyone? When I lived in Holland I was unfortunately too young to imbibe in the many great Belgian beers when we went there (about 1/2hr drive).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing