Internet Radio

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I do, indeed. I'm listening to it right now in my office. This morning I created a station of Smokin' Joe Kubek & Bnois King (who are playing on 6/21 in S.F. if anyone is interested), and Pandora does the rest. It plays music that it thinks you will enjoy based on the original artist entered. As such for the last 5 hours I've had tremendous blues playing, with the likes of Albert Cummings, Tab Benoit, Kenny Neal, Magic Slip & The Teardrops, Johnny Winter, et al., gracing my office. I've been bopping all day.

However, I do not use it for critical listening. I do use it quite a bit to learn about new artists and new music. It is a great way to find out about new music. If I hear something I really like, Amazon is a click away.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I started discussing this on the tuner thread since I didn't know about this one. Pandora is both fun and easy to use. I don't have the Pandora ONE service, but an upgrade might be worth it, since Pandora ONE offers a higher 192kbps streaming rate. I use Itunes to listen to a variety of Jazz and Classical stations. There are other ways to listen to radio stations on the internet, but I find Itunes convenient since I can stream radio stations to my main system using AirTunes. Finally, as I mentioned in the other thread, I have a Rhapsody subscription. I believe the streaming rate for Rhapsody is 160kbps. The sound quality is OK for noncritical listening. I'm not in love with the Rhapsody application but I do like the service because the catalog is huge.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
<snip>
However, I do not use it for critical listening. I do use it quite a bit to learn about new artists and new music. It is a great way to find out about new music. If I hear something I really like, Amazon is a click away.

Same here and whenever possible I buy the downloadable non-compressed version, easier and (almost) immediate gratification..

Frantz

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Have any of you tried Radioshift? A $30 download from this little software company called Rogue Aomeba with a data base of thousands of internet radio stations from all over the world. It even has a search by location function. I listen to classical out of Budapest (320kbps) and the Netherlands, jazz from New Jersey, Americana from East Tennessee, and the most eclectic mix imaginable from Isothermal Community College, somewhere in the mountains of North Carolina.

P

MilkMan

Feb 9, 2012
Has anyone tried Mog? I've heard users rave about it. The only thing is that to try their free (ad supported) service, you must login with your Facebook account. They share stuff on your Facebook account, so just to try it out, I don't want to risk that.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hey, guys. I listen to this station often. It's Rock 92.3 out of Greensboro, NC. I don't listen to it for the sound quality. I listen to it for the music when I'm not around my rig. Some of you might enjoy it as well.

http://www.rock92.com/pages/3609314.php

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Admittedly, and I'm somewhat ashamed by it, I need to confess that I haven't listened to radio in years...not even my car.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Admittedly, and I'm somewhat ashamed by it, I need to confess that I haven't listened to radio in years...not even my car.
I don't use radio much for music given the fact that I can play my large collection from a USB thumb drive. But do listen NPR for their news and programming plus a high quality local talk show that covers local events. They are especially handy on longer trips we make to our vacation house.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Enjoying it indeed! Is it a 70s station? That is what they are playing just now.
Hello, Amir. They play a mix of 60's, 70's and some 80's music. The thing I like about them is that they don't stick to what was popular on the charts. They seem to stick to the great music during that time period. One, right after the other. I have been a fan of this station for well over a decade. Maybe two, as it's been that long since I discovered it.

The only sell out I have experienced from them is that in the mornings, they now have some sort of a talk show. It didn't used to be like this. It used to be that they were the only station out there that would play music, non-stop. Well, with commercials but you know what I mean. Another thing I enjoy about them is that while they might speed up the music, they don't make it seem like you are listening to it on fast-forward.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Has anyone tried Mog? I've heard users rave about it. The only thing is that to try their free (ad supported) service, you must login with your Facebook account. They share stuff on your Facebook account, so just to try it out, I don't want to risk that.

Hi,

I subscribe to Pandora (pay version), MOG, and Spotify. I love Pandora and prefer MOG over Spotify. MOG and Spotify stream at 320K and can sound really good. Even Pandora at 192K for the pay version is wonderful. I've discovered so many new artists this way. It's great.

Joe

CSG

Oct 30, 2012
As a jazz fan living in a rural state, Internet Radio has saved me. I love jazzradio.com for its variety of jazz genres but mostly listen to jazz24.org as it has a better quality stream at no charge.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Streaming radio is one of the unsung heroes of the Internet. It personifies "place shifting" where you can listen to your favorite station from anywhere.

Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of Dallas Mavericks made his fortune in this area because he convinced Yahoo of this potential long before the economics made sense, and sold his company to them for nearly $6 billion dollars! The company had just a few million dollars in revenue!!! Oh, the crazy days of dot com boom.....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is actually a broadcast station but available online for free. Donations are encouraged http://www.wpfwfm/org

The playlist can be seen here. Primarily Jazz.

Don't Forget The Blues is playing currently.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I hang my head in shame. Just plain old unfashionable iTunes radio, I record programs with Radiolover and put them on my mac mini and ipod. Listen a bit almost every day with some kind of headphone and at the gym.

I'm tired of brain hurt from all the smart phone and digital media crap that has become the new cutting edge vogue. It seems like whirling dervish madness, since everything will be replaced in a year.

My wife and I went off the grid t internet or cell phones for a few days. It was refreshing.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Mornin', fellas. For those interested in internet radio, you might want to check out radio paradise. Even if you are not interested in internet radio, you may want to check out radio paradise. Enjoy.

www.radioparadise.com

Tom

Neurorad

Jul 20, 2013
I'm also a fan of Pandora, and Radio paradise. Radiotime.com is an aggregator of streaming stations used by several music servers (including Sonos, Autonomic Controls, and Nuvo) which can also be accessed from any PC.

Spotify allows you to listen to any song, at any time, if it's in their catalog. Free version is commercial supported, and $10/mo is commercial free. When I tried the paid version a year or so ago, I found their catalog lacking, but tried it again recently and was surprised to find more selections.

I'd like to plug WTMD, a public radio station (no commercials) out of Towson, MD. 'Radio for Music People,' they offer quite a mix of cutting edge indie, classic rock (think Steely Dan), and some 50s and 60s. Streaming online at WTMD.org. Similar mix to Radioparadise.

Splanky

May 17, 2016
www.splankyradio.com
As a jazz fan living in a rural state, Internet Radio has saved me. I love jazzradio.com for its variety of jazz genres but mostly listen to jazz24.org as it has a better quality stream at no charge.

I created an all-jazz internet radio station and you can listen to it through Sonos by adding Radionomy as a service and then finding my station name of "Splanky". You can also listen to it through my website (www.splankyradio.com) as well as many other streaming sites and apps listed on the "Other Streams" page of my site. Check it out and let me know what you think of the sound quality (and the music itself!). Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing