Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Radio

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course

Internet Radio

I know Ron Party here is a big listener to Pandora.

Who else listens to internet radio such as Pandora, AOL etc

Any coments on the quality of the sound heard? Compressed etc?
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

[WBF Founding Member] Ron Party's Avatar
    I do, indeed. I'm listening to it right now in my office. This morning I created a station of Smokin' Joe Kubek & Bnois King (who are playing on 6/21 in S.F. if anyone is interested), and Pandora does the rest. It plays music that it thinks you will enjoy based on the original artist entered. As such for the last 5 hours I've had tremendous blues playing, with the likes of Albert Cummings, Tab Benoit, Kenny Neal, Magic Slip & The Teardrops, Johnny Winter, et al., gracing my office. I've been bopping all day.

However, I do not use it for critical listening. I do use it quite a bit to learn about new artists and new music. It is a great way to find out about new music. If I hear something I really like, Amazon is a click away.

[WBF Founding Member]
    I started discussing this on the tuner thread since I didn't know about this one. Pandora is both fun and easy to use. I don't have the Pandora ONE service, but an upgrade might be worth it, since Pandora ONE offers a higher 192kbps streaming rate. I use Itunes to listen to a variety of Jazz and Classical stations. There are other ways to listen to radio stations on the internet, but I find Itunes convenient since I can stream radio stations to my main system using AirTunes. Finally, as I mentioned in the other thread, I have a Rhapsody subscription. I believe the streaming rate for Rhapsody is 160kbps. The sound quality is OK for noncritical listening. I'm not in love with the Rhapsody application but I do like the service because the catalog is huge.

[WBF Founding Member] Ron Party's Avatar
    Pandora is free with Sonos.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Party View Post
    <snip>
    However, I do not use it for critical listening. I do use it quite a bit to learn about new artists and new music. It is a great way to find out about new music. If I hear something I really like, Amazon is a click away.
    Same here and whenever possible I buy the downloadable non-compressed version, easier and (almost) immediate gratification..

Frantz

Have any of you tried Radioshift? A $30 download from this little software company called Rogue Aomeba with a data base of thousands of internet radio stations from all over the world. It even has a search by location function. I listen to classical out of Budapest (320kbps) and the Netherlands, jazz from New Jersey, Americana from East Tennessee, and the most eclectic mix imaginable from Isothermal Community College, somewhere in the mountains of North Carolina.

P

Has anyone tried Mog? I've heard users rave about it. The only thing is that to try their free (ad supported) service, you must login with your Facebook account. They share stuff on your Facebook account, so just to try it out, I don't want to risk that.

Hey, guys. I listen to this station often. It's Rock 92.3 out of Greensboro, NC. I don't listen to it for the sound quality. I listen to it for the music when I'm not around my rig. Some of you might enjoy it as well.

http://www.rock92.com/pages/3609314.php
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Hey, guys. I listen to this station often. It's Rock 92.3 out of Greensboro, NC. I don't listen to it for the sound quality. I listen to it for the music when I'm not around my rig. Some of you might enjoy it as well.

http://www.rock92.com/pages/3609314.php
    Enjoying it indeed! Is it a 70s station? That is what they are playing just now.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Admittedly, and I'm somewhat ashamed by it, I need to confess that I haven't listened to radio in years...not even my car.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast