Superspeakers at CES 2012

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I see so there is no tubes involved , tubes will in general smooth out the high freqs , and most people like that .
Spectral i find good decent gear but nothing special.
after having heard it on some shop/show occasions .
I have the impression that the magico amplification certainly has to do something with the opinion that some people have about the speakers ,if i was magio i would demonstrate with zanden.
I heard the V3 once on all zanden and tw acoustic , oooohhhh very nice

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
does nobody think the sound would have been very different when magico was playing with arc gear , i dont remember what magico was playing with , i m sorry.

I would have liked to hear it with the same amps that Scaena was using ;) CJ's ART amps :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I'd think though that Alon has a preference for ss as I've never seen him use tubes at CES or any other show. Baalabo, Spectral, Krell, Boulder, Technical Brain (whatever did happen to them?), Soulution....

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC

Jeff,

Did you get a chance to listen to the new Hansen Prince E in the Wes Bender Studio NYC room?
IMO, they sounded far better than the Emperor Es. Not that the Emperors aren't potentially better, but as shown, the Prince E were far more resolving and not as closed in. I can only assume that is why Lars kept sending the folks from the Emperor room down to Wes' for a listen.

I realize its a big show, but not to include the Ocean Way HR3 monitor in Veronese 2401B is a significant omission if one is truly talking 'superspeakers'.

http://oceanwayaudio.com/oceanway-monitors/hr3-monitor-system/
These smaller of the Allen Sides designed speakers have everything an audiophile could want, save for the gorgeous veneer.

FWIW

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Jeff,

Did you get a chance to listen to the new Hansen Prince E in the Wes Bender Studio NYC room?
IMO, they sounded far better than the Emperor Es. Not that the Emperors aren't potentially better, but as shown, the Prince E were far more resolving and not as closed in. I can only assume that is why Lars kept sending the folks from the Emperor room down to Wes' for a listen.

I realize its a big show, but not to include the Ocean Way HR3 monitor in Veronese 2401B is a significant omission if one is truly talking 'superspeakers'.

http://oceanwayaudio.com/oceanway-monitors/hr3-monitor-system/
These smaller of the Allen Sides designed speakers have everything an audiophile could want, save for the gorgeous veneer.

FWIW

Maybe Allen's speakers sound better elsewhere but when I've heard them at shows, there were dynamic and little else. In fact, my ears were bleeding after hearing them--and that was with 30 ips tapes :( I still think a large part of one's rxn to the sound of shows is directly traceable to whether listens to digital or analog. The big Hansen's sounded quite good with the big Clearaudio table with the three or four test LPs I brought along including the Gerry Mulligan ORG release and the original Decca recording of Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle.

BTW, that wasn't my experience at CES with the Hansens.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Well to each his own, but I will not take Jeff Fritz Soundstage! serious anymore as a writer/publication. I loved the sound of the Venture speakers and it was one of my favorite rooms. Just ask Anthony Cordesman. Found this in a recent issue from Steve Stone, a writer for The Absolute Sound,

"Audio Limits from Colorado Springs got the best sound I’ve heard from the Primrose room. Using the $5990 BMC BDCD1 belt-drive CD player/transport tethered to the $6200 BMC DAC1 PRE, the $90,000 Venture Grand Ultimate speakers produced superb dynamics and image focus"

Need I go on??

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing