Superspeakers at CES 2012

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
The Superspeakers series has begun with the first installment:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/

This series, along with our regular CES coverage, will continue throughout the show.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Jeff. Puzzled by this comment:

" Just a few days ago, Magico bigwig Alon Wolf told me by phone that they were measuring the Q7’s bass response in their listening room in Berkeley, California, flat down to 15Hz."

How could it be "flat" in the low frequency in a listening room? Are they willing to post said measurements and smoothing level applied to the graph/measurement?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010

" Just a few days ago, Magico bigwig Alon Wolf told me by phone that they were measuring the Q7’s bass response in their listening room in Berkeley, California, flat down to 15Hz."

How could it be "flat" in the low frequency in a listening room? Are they willing to post said measurements and smoothing level applied to the graph/measurement?

I probably should have said "at full level" instead of flat. They aren't claiming perfectly flat in the bass in room. My bad.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

The room appears treated, based on pictures on the TAS web site of the Q5... is it not possible even then?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks Jeff for your focus on Superspeakers. This is very interesting. I do however also hope that you would take a look at two brands you have not mentioned in your Superspeakers series and not in the latest intallment prior to CES 2012 either. I am thinking about Kharma and Lansche Audio. Kharma is a known manufacturer which has been building some of the markets best speakers for decades. Lansche Audio is a rather new and unknown brand in the US market, but especially their Model 8.1 and Model 7 with their Corona plasma tweeter deserves a place in your musings. Evolution Acoustics seems to have caught on big time in the US, but they are realtively unknown here in Europe. I hope that brand also gets under your magnifying glass during your superspeaker coverage.

I also can't wait for the Verity Audio Montsalvat to be released in the market, but I assume it is not ready yet. Burmester is apparently working on a new superspeaker to be placed above their current top model B100. The new model will be a four tower model with seperate bass towers. I assume they are not ready for CES either. Then we have the German brands German Physiks (with their models Emperor and Gaudi) and MBL (with its model 101 X-Treme) which also derves mention in the superspeaker series. Audio Physic is also working on a new top of the line speaker to replace the now discontinued Kronos. I think they introduce most of their speakers in the Munich show though, so not likely to be present at CES 2012.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very cool! Thanks for posting!

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
The very first Reference One had one extra driver and a much more complex cabinet. In his opinion, it was better than the current model that has been somewhat scaled down to reduce manufacturing costs. The current model is obviously very good, just not as good as the original.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The very first Reference One had one extra driver and a much more complex cabinet. In his opinion, it was better than the current model that has been somewhat scaled down to reduce manufacturing costs. The current model is obviously very good, just not as good as the original.

I remember hearing it years ago at CES on big Pass amps as I recall. Didn't realize it was so different.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I havent heard the Aida but I can tell you that the REF 250's are just plain stone cold killers! IMO the best ARC has ever made, which to me says a lot. I have a pair on Nola Baby Grands and they just amazed me as compared to the other amps we tried.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The overall Impression by everyone was how poorly attended the show was. There were people outside their rooms asking people to come in. Many too had no one inside.

I have made a decision that this will likely be my last CES. Instead I plan on making RMAF my annual audio fix

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry to hear that Steve. I wonder if the Newport show, which was so well attended, was perhaps more convenient than the CES due to its S.Calif location. I have never been to CES, partly due to their industry only requirement and partly due to the fact that Vegas does NOTHING for me. BTW, I saw you went and talked to Ken Stevens, what's new with him....new preamp coming out soon?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing