Bob Carver is back. And we gots the review :) The Cherry 180s are very, very good.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I've been in touch with Bob for a couple years and when he began selling tube amps on ebay, I nudged him and asked what the heck are you doing? He said "Peter, I've never lost my love for tubes." Then Sunfire and Bob parted ways and more and more amps began popping up for sale. Fast forward to late 0'10 and he said "Peter, do you want to hear them?" So a pair came and then Bob said "guess what I found?" What Bob? He said "the actual original Silver Sevens, first named Silver Eagles". "Do you want to hear them Peter?"

Now guess what came to my door. Yikes! I've been Bobbed!

I remember HP's lust affair with the Sevens and now they were in my room. HP has a pair of Black Beauties, I wonder what he's going to say.

All kidding (or lusting) aside, this to me is a very special day, the return of Bob Carver to the High End. Love him or not, he is Bob Carver and he is a living legend.

Check out the video review...
http://www.avshowrooms.com

I have them playing right now and they are tight and fast and holographic with outstanding tone and clarity.

Who would have thought. Bob Carver, tubes, returns. I love this hobby/business/sound/music...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Peter!

Just watched the videos of this (well done, by the way) and I was surprised at the pricepoint. I had no idea what the dollartag would be, but I assumed it was going to be quite aggressive. And while I'm certainly not in a position to own this pair of amps, its $7,400 pricepoint is not a ridiculously stupid one either.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Peter, Tom here. A friend of mine purchased the very first Cherry 180 and that amplifier was definitely a treat to listen to a couple of years back at a yearly audio event I host. While I may not be the biggest fan of the Amazing lineup of speakers, paired up with this amp made my ears positively perk up. In an audiophiles worst acoustic nightmare, none the less. A rare thing happened when we first hooked them up, we played some jazz and all 13 folks in the room didn't speak for quite some time. They just sat there and listened to the music. To me, that speaks volumes.

The one thing I have found with all things concerning Bob is that folks seem to either love him or hate him. There is seemingly not much inbetween the two. Allow me to clarify a bit....I'm talking about the gear he has produced throughout the various companies he has had. If you don't mind, I'd like to educate the folks here about the "real" Bob.

When I first met him, I thought that I would be meeting this high flutin' multi-millionaire that could give a rat's patootie about the general public or anything they had to say. I am pleased to say that I couldn't have been more wrong. He is the most down to Earth person you would ever want to meet. He loves this hobby just as much as we all do and he is just as interested in trying things out and listening to things as we all are. Every time we ask him a question about various systems that he may not know, he all of a sudden turns into this little kid in a candy store. He smiles and says enthusiastically "I don't know, let's find out!" and marches on to go find out. He is nothing but a pleasure to hang out with and his heart is as good as gold.

We were joking with him this past year about how much of an audio nut he is and the conversation quickly turned to what he has in his kitchen cabinets. I'm admittedly chuckling as I type this. A friend of mine was in his kitchen and asked for a glass of water but didn't know where the glasses were [Bob was preoccupied with audio stuff at the time...go figure], so he just opened a cabinet. Tubes. Opened another one, tubes....and another, you guessed it. More tubes. I'd swear the man eats, sleeps and drinks audio and I would go so far as to say that he probably has forgotten more about audio in his sleep than most of the general public would in a lifetime.

I have had so much fun with him over the years I have been blessed with knowing him behind the scenes of his products. I always look forward to more time with him. We are on opposite coasts but I'll take what little time I can get with him. He's like the friend you have known your entire life whenever we get together and many I have met through time also feel the same way. Oh, one more thing. If anybody ever meets him for the first time, don't call him "Mr. Carver". He prefers to be called just plain ol' Bob.

This last September, I had the honor to stand beside Bob and assist him in teaching folks how to build a small 20 watt tube amp designed by him. I think we ended up building 47 of the amplifiers in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina that week. These tube amplifiers smoked [a rarely used term by me] a Cary amplifier used in both pentode and triode mode, costing multiple times more. Soon, these amplifiers will be offered through his website along with a new line array speaker he and another friend of mine, Farinelli, Leslie and others have been working on for years. He is even planning a tubed crossover for them and I look forward to what they have in store for us.

I can tell you this. He is having the time of his life! No big corporation this time. Just Bob being Bob and having the most fun doing what it is he does best. Getting back to his roots and building tube amplifiers.

Oh and by the way, Peter...wait until you roll some tubes in that bad boy. :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I wonder if, a few years from now, he'll build an inexpensive SS amp that a couple of audiophile journalists won't be able to distinguish from his $7400 tube amp. :) I mean he is still Bob Carver, right?

Tim

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I wonder if, a few years from now, he'll build an inexpensive SS amp that a couple of audiophile journalists won't be able to distinguish from his $7400 tube amp. :) I mean he is still Bob Carver, right?

Tim
Hello, Tim. I can say with complete certainty that your scenario will not be the case. Bob is simply enjoying life to the fullest and getting back to his roots.

That being tubes. Enjoy the music.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hello, Tim. I can say with complete certainty that your scenario will not be the case. Bob is simply enjoying life to the fullest and getting back to his roots.

That being tubes. Enjoy the music.

Tom

I tend to agree. Years ago when Bob came out with the Silver 7 amps, there was a marketing ploy at work. Bob was in the business of manufacturing high power SS amps at the time when he brought the Silver 7 to market. The introduction of the Silver 7 and its subsequent elevation to one of the top tube amps in existence provided the perfect platform for Bob to design a high powered SS amp that would approximate the sound of the Silver 7. And sure enough, the Silver 7 was followed by the Silver 7T SS amp.

Since Bob is no longer in the business of manufacturing SS amps and is strictly building tube amps, I don’t smell round 3 coming where Bob introduces a SS amp for the masses that will sound like his new tube amps do.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim, this is the point for me too. The fact that he can make an amp sound any darn way you might want it too, and in a day or two, is telling of his competance.

As I understand things, it's two things, one, he has always enjoyed the sound of tube amplifiers and publicly stated decades ago, and two, in these times, tube amps hold a mystique in the high end (for many) and thus the best place to start to generate sales.

I am betting he will come out with a killer (and bargain priced) high power amp that will compete with Krell and all the gang of high power amps.....after all, many here are beginning to realize that you need bunches of watts if you dont want to clip, and so unless you have an easy to drive speaker load, we are going to want him to provide us with a high power solid state amplifier, to well, provide power baby.

Tom

I'm just enjoying the depth of the irony. We know Carver can make a modest SS amp sound like an expensive tube amp. So why would he choose tubes, with all their expense and vulnerabilities? Well, I think you said it...

tube amps hold a mystique in the high end (for many) and thus the best place to start to generate sales.

...that, and having fun messing with us again. How old is Bob? He sure is fun to watch.

Tim

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Tim, don't be so cynical:D. Bob's got back into the business so that he can enlighten all of us 'philes with a better product and a more pocket book friendly one to boot:rolleyes:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I'm just enjoying the depth of the irony. We know Carver can make a modest SS amp sound like an expensive tube amp. So why would he choose tubes, with all their expense and vulnerabilities?

To answer your question, because tubes are his true passion.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I've been in touch with Bob for a couple years and when he began selling tube amps on ebay, I nudged him and asked what the heck are you doing? He said "Peter, I've never lost my love for tubes." Then Sunfire and Bob parted ways and more and more amps began popping up for sale. Fast forward to late 0'10 and he said "Peter, do you want to hear them?" So a pair came and then Bob said "guess what I found?" What Bob? He said "the actual original Silver Sevens, first named Silver Eagles". "Do you want to hear them Peter?"

Now guess what came to my door. Yikes! I've been Bobbed!

I remember HP's lust affair with the Sevens and now they were in my room. HP has a pair of Black Beauties, I wonder what he's going to say.

All kidding (or lusting) aside, this to me is a very special day, the return of Bob Carver to the High End. Love him or not, he is Bob Carver and he is a living legend.

Check out the video review...
http://www.avshowrooms.com

I have them playing right now and they are tight and fast and holographic with outstanding tone and clarity.

Who would have thought. Bob Carver, tubes, returns. I love this hobby/business/sound/music...

Hi Peter,

great enthusiasum and appears you were truly enjoying your self and that's what it's all about. Thanks for taking the time and sharing, I enjoyed that, a really great plug for Bob C's product which is well deserved.

I have always had respect for Bob Carver in the past and coming back as he has it's great to see and I hope all the success, look foward to seeing more.

Gotta love your speakers too but I still like mine better :) "they are in silver" Tubes with MBL's oh my so delicious in a marvelous way. Nice looking set-up there also along with the veiw, I'm sure you enjoy many hours of listening.

Just listening on my computer initially and my initial thought was "oh know" but then you fliped the switch and it was so obvious to me and by far my preference and I wasn't even there in person.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
To answer your question, because tubes are his true passion.

Good for him. I hope he enjoys every minute, but I sure would love to see another paradigm-busting SS amp from Bob.

Tim

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Bob Carver has been around long enough to know that now, audiophiles are more and more interested in different flavors of sound .. So he is obliging ...

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Bob Carver has been around long enough to know that now, audiophiles are more and more interested in different flavors of sound .. So he is obliging ...

Hi Frantz,

I think we are all searching for our own perfect sound. It takes years of sampling different sonic flavors to learn what we like and don't like. I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy the journey as much as the music.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
...Also; fifty, forty, thirty, twenty, ten years ago were all different than just yesterday, today and tomorrow.

With time our musical exploration is switching to new techniques, technologies, and all that Jazz...

* Here's a question for some of you guys/gals.

=> Go back in time exactly 50 years ago. Doesn't have to be the day or month, just the year (1962). ...Do you remember what was playing and from where and on what?
Me, I do. ...I'll let you know very soon...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
...Also; fifty, forty, thirty, twenty, ten years ago were all different than just yesterday, today and tomorrow.

With time our musical exploration is switching to new techniques, technologies, and all that Jazz...

* Here's a question for some of you guys/gals.

=> Go back in time exactly 50 years ago. Doesn't have to be the day or month, just the year (1962). ...Do you remember what was playing and from where and on what?
Me, I do. ...I'll let you know very soon...

Bob - I'm all aflutter with anticipation, so hurry up there big guy! ;) I was only 8/9 in 1962, and had yet to start my passion for music, so I don't honestly remember what was playing at that time.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I was in his room yesterday. Good to see him back

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good for him. I hope he enjoys every minute, but I sure would love to see another paradigm-busting SS amp from Bob.

Tim

Things will be more complicated this time. New tube electronics sound now much better, and audiophiles knowledge of what they are looking for also developed a lot since these tests were carried.

But if pseudo "paradigm-busting tests" make you happy I hope he carries them just for your happiness and the fun we will have discussing them in WBF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing