Satellite Radio

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I must admit that ever since I bought my last car which came with Sirius Radio that I am smitten and rarely, if ever, listen to FM. Then with the merger of Sirius and XM radio the station selections have become even better and more numerous.

Anyone want to comment on the sound itself as well as the music content.

My favorite stations are Classic Vinyl as well as Classic Rewind

BTW, it drives me crazy when it drops the signal which predictably happens along the same routes every day

What stations are you listening to?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Last time I listened to it which was a few years ago, compression artifacts were really bothersome. I actually liked FM far better. Of course, I tend to search for these artifacts so your experience may not mimic mine :). Also, when I do non-critical listening like on United where they pipe in XM, it is fine.

I just got a new car and with it, HD Radio (free digital radio). I have not listened to a lot of it but the bit I did listen to, had compression artifacts but less than what I remember with the above.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
XM radio

Steve,

A friend Don Scott (remember him from Stereophile days of yore) apparently did a bit of listening to various satellite receivers and recommended the Sony XMO-1, which I picked up for a song and really enjoy. I love the jazz and classical programming and the only qualm I have is reduced imaging on a lot of the jazz - classical doesn't seem to have the same problem.

And then there is the channel that does cinema soundtracks 24/7 (I think it's called "Cinemagic"). Holy Cow! I had nothing better to do one evening and was "scrolling thru" the channels when this one hit me in the face. It was the week before the Academy Awards (two years ago?) and they were playing the nominated soundtracks. One was "the Curious case of Benjamin Button" and it just blew me away. My whole listening room opened up into a theater. I had a ball!!!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's a really strange thing in some way I guess, but I have never ever been a car radio guy. I can honestly say that the radio in my car is off 95% of the time and I'm fine with it. In fact, even at home I rarely listen to radio anymore. If I were I'd probably look into something like Sirius/XM to avoid the endless DJ chatter on some stations and the commercials.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
John, there is great programming on radio. I especially enjoy National Public Radio(NPR). Great interviews. Great news drill down. No commercials. I learn something new every day I commute some place. They also broadcast BBC for part of the day which provides a fresh, worldwide perspective on the world news. We also have a couple of local talk shows which are really high-class and educational on local issues (e.g. the sad slaying of the Craigslist seller and arrest of the bad guys).

For me, radio is now 90% about information, 10% about entertainment. I listen to my own music when the the subject being discussed is not of interest.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, there is great programming on radio. I especially enjoy National Public Radio(NPR). Great interviews. Great news drill down. No commercials. I learn something new every day I commute some place. They also broadcast BBC for part of the day which provides a fresh, worldwide perspective on the world news. We also have a couple of local talk shows which are really high-class and educational on local issues (e.g. the sad slaying of the Craigslist seller and arrest of the bad guys).

For me, radio is now 90% about information, 10% about entertainment. I listen to my own music when the the subject being discussed is not of interest.

Those are absolutely very valid points Amir, and I agree. I used to be a big CBC One fan, but you know what???...I can get replays of radio shows from the website, and that is what I do most times. I'm also (still) a fairly dedicated newspaper reader. Just something about turning those pages with a coffee in hand, and then doing the crossword later on!

John

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I haven't been a car radio guy for at least the past 15 years. I have too many new CDs to listen to, and I rely on my time in my car to listen to some of these. I currently have over 50 CDs on my desk that I have not yet listened to. It helps, of course, that I have the Levinson car audio system so I get good sound in my car.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:)Good evening all,
I am still in a tizzy regarding what to listen to. I've mentioned that I am a lover of classical and jazz music and listen to both on my car (Sirus/XM0 radio. However, the quality is so poor I cant bare to listen in-home. However, I've read here there are other music medium which I am not familiar with other than FM radio which mostly only play rock-in-roll and rap? I want to purchase a good FM tuner, but here in Georgia there does not appear to be any decent classical or jazz music stations (shameful). Does an FM tuner now have the ability to pull in any other musical medium other than regular FM signals that would just waste my time? What other over-the-air signals that provide high level classical or jazz listening? Thanks all.

jazzbo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing