Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not surprised... I have a pair of speaker jumpers to sell, have a $6 credit to use, the pictures, text and all... yet I can't get find myself to get on audiogon to post the ad 'cause I just don't want to deal with all the mess.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats a shame ,
I would think that a whats best forum with a kind of virtual system section(like the gon ) with member /photo pages would attract enough people for being a succes ,although it will take time.
I still cant get into my system page to upload pics or whatever and i cant get in to my threads page , what a disaster .
I ll make a " introduce "m page with pics here as soon as i have my new project finishesd :D
Trust me when I tell you that we have done due diligence on this issue looking for an alternative solution. However it will not only take huge sums of money, it is tantamount to David taking on Goliath and could be doomed to failure

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
New Audiogon scam being reported:

Dear fellow audiophiles,

I just received an email, apparently from
AudioGon, but it is not. It is an attempt to
steal your login information.

I felt it my duty to warn my customers and friends.

It says "Notice: AudioGon account restricted".
There is then a link to click that looks like it takes you
to their site, where you log in. Do not do it! It is a scam.
You can tell because of the URL, which is not AudioGon. The scammer
will steal your information, or change the password, selling bogus
items under your name.

Please pass the word to your friends...

Mike Morrow,
Morrow Audio

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Audiogon's new face now includes an average of half of the traffic it used to have. All it took was a remodel of the website, greed and 6 months.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I have noticed a huge increase in over seas ads. It used to be maybe 10%, now it is more like 30%. Or is that just my imagination? LOL, i just sold some speaker cables, and within 5 minutes, I was asked for A-Gon selling fee. But, I do have to say, the support staff always reply to my emails in a timely manner (usually 6 hours or less). There are an insane amount of buyers who want me to sell to them outside of the rules, and I even had an English chap send me a $16,000 ($1K over our agreement) check from a holding company, and wanted me to send him the over right away! Needless to say the check bounced from a 0 feedback member. BEWARE!

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Haven't been on the site in years. Still have a fair amount of h/w picked up there I still use.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I am still using it to buy/sell (mostly sell, since I am trying to get rid of stuff I have accumulated over the years and now want to skinny down before I relocate). There are also some very good, knowledgeable folks that still post on the fora, although alot of them seem to be here as well.
The software problems seem to be endless. I have to log in manually everytime, it won't remember me from one function to the next, let alone 'remember me' and keep me logged in; i did a transaction the other day and the buyer submitted (positive) feedback, but it took days and an email to them about a software glitch for the feedback to get posted- it kept saying the other guy had to confirm, and after he did, it said i had to confirm, which i did, and so on.
And yes, there do seem to be alot more members with zero feedback offering goods- and i have had a number of offers on stuff from people who have no feedback and want me to ship equipment overseas.
I do think that it is still the primary trading post for high end equipment on the Net, despite the problems, and as i suggested in another thread about 'build it and they will come' creating a viable alternative would require a serious capital investment and a real staff.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
on the positive side; AudiogoN has changed their moderation policy regarding posting on their forums in 2 ways recently. first, your post is posted immediately, second, you can edit the post until the next post is up. i had complained to recently about both issues.....and told AudiogoN that their forum was quickly becomming irrelivant due to their moderation policy since threads had no chance to move forward with any energy.

on the negative side AudiogoN now prohibts contact information such as your email, phone number, or mailing address in your ad. they are bound and determined to get their commisions. in my case my moniker is my name so people can easily contact me in other ways if they know about me.....but that is not typical.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
...on the negative side AudiogoN now prohibts contact information such as your email, phone number, or mailing address in your ad.
Good morning, Mike. That's one heck of a negative. Wow.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Good morning, Mike. That's one heck of a negative. Wow.
But it still doesn't prevent 'off site' trading- somebody sends you an offer and you can comment in response to include your contact info; ditto on the queries. I usually send people to my law firm email address partly to vett them and then to talk further. What's stupid is that I'm not doing that to screw audiogon- I made sure my buyer went thru the system and I paid the commission, which is not the issue. The cumbersomeness of communicatioan is a problem though. I'm glad that they fixed the forum time lag on postings, I saw that, but figured it was just a function of having already 'subscribed' to a thread.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
But it still doesn't prevent 'off site' trading- somebody sends you an offer and you can comment in response to include your contact info; ditto on the queries. I usually send people to my law firm email address partly to vett them and then to talk further. What's stupid is that I'm not doing that to screw audiogon- I made sure my buyer went thru the system and I paid the commission, which is not the issue. The cumbersomeness of communicatioan is a problem though. I'm glad that they fixed the forum time lag on postings, I saw that, but figured it was just a function of having already 'subscribed' to a thread.

i've sold lots of expensive gear and am fine paying the commissions too; that's comes with the service. the problem is like you, it's hard to properly communicate and these products typically require a bit of back and forth.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing