Weiss DAC 202 review on Positive Feedback

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Friends...

PFO just posted my review of the Weiss DAC 202. It was a huge project, but please let me know what you think.

Currently, my in-house DAC is the Antelope Gold with Voltikus power supply. The Antelope uses an ovenized crystal oscillator, and is quite promising.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Friends...

PFO just posted my review of the Weiss DAC 202. It was a huge project, but please let me know what you think.

Currently, my in-house DAC is the Antelope Gold with Voltikus power supply. The Antelope uses an ovenized crystal oscillator, and is quite promising.

Hi Nicholas...look forward to reading it! THanks. Is your ovenized crystal oscillator in some respects similar to the one that Zanden proudly announces they uses in their Transport which apparently is a double-oven crystal oscillator that works on the same natural frequency as the PHilips Pro CD2...which eliminated the need for them to use a DDS to take it from 10mhz or whatever to 8.6mhz...and also results in super-low jitter?

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
OXCO is the gold standard, so to speak, with respect to phase noise and jitter... the OXCO referred to in my post is inside the Antelope DAC; don't know how it might compare to those in the Zanden, but in general, OXCO are the way to go, for very high-end applications.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
OXCO is the gold standard, so to speak, with respect to phase noise and jitter... the OXCO referred to in my post is inside the Antelope DAC; don't know how it might compare to those in the Zanden, but in general, OXCO are the way to go, for very high-end applications.

Thanks...that is same the term 'OXCO'...that Zanden uses. There are apparently single-oven and double-oven. They use a double-oven crystal oscillator. 2 x 10^-10 clock stability if that means anything to you? Error rate or something?

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Probably some number created by a copy writer. :) What are the units? Seconds? Not likely to be error rate. Watch out for people confusing accuracy and stability. Short-term stability (low phase noise especially at low frequency offsets from nominal) is what you want, not accuracy (what time is it?) over millenia. Most of us probably won't live a thousand years to find out.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to know. (I just PM'd you for some advice on digital transports. Thanks for any advice.)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Nicholas, have you lost weight, or did the parrot get bigger?

Tim

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
It's just the camera angle and lens. It makes Manfred look like he's about 3 ft tall! He's a little overweight, about 450 grams... and actually Manfred is probably a she, but... He, er, she, is an African Gray, and is a wonderful pet. Think of a devoted dog with feathers.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The review reads lukewarm to me if you remove the apparent need for external re-clocking, in line with Stereophile's (ST claims soft highs and dynamics) and comments by other people claim to have auditioned it

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Friends...

My observations on the Weiss DAC 202 are based upon hundreds of hours of use, and comparison with DACs way more expensive ($30-70K) as well as somewhat less expensive ($5K). The associated gear included the Pass XA200.5, as mentioned in the article, and Wilson Sashas. The system is very simple.

Regarding the use of an external clock, why this should make any difference is not at all clear to me or others who are much better informed on the engineering level, but it certainly does. The DAC sounds best with the Grimm clock, especially at 44 kHz. FireWire was definitely not the best-sounding input, at least with my computers.

The outstanding virtue of the product is its flexibility with respect to integration with a complex recording studio environment; right behind it are the excellent ergonomics, appearance and ability to match the gain structure of the rest of one's system. The sound quality is good overall, but one should give a careful listen to similarly-priced competing products, some of which are quite a bit newer in design.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Weiss products have always had a rather cool, overly analytical sound like much of the pro gear. I'm not a fan.

alexandrov

May 28, 2012
Sofia
It was actually the only non-ecstatic review of DAC202 I could find :)

I'm a happy (new) owner of this DAC desparately trying to find others but they're hiding well obviously. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing