Avalon time

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Confession. I have always found the Avalon's the most visually appealing speakers on the planet, fell in love with a Radian / Spectral setup in the 90s, and owned Eidolon Visions for a while. Even made an offer on a pair of used Times that was not accepted and ended up with Evolution Acoustincs MM3. I love my current speaker, but find the looks questionnable and they are just so damn big in my small room.

So now a pair of Time's shows up for auction on audiogon, offering the opportunity to may be scoop them up very cheap and give them a whirl. Few questions:

Do you think they can even hold a candle to my MM3's (I do recall going from Eidolons to MM3s was not the huge step I was expecting - much better mid-bass mainly)

I once blew a pair of mid range drivers playing the Eidolons too loud. Would I be similarly output limit constrained on the Time's.

Given the recent issues and customer services problems at Avalon, should I even consider trying this. EA support has been phenomenal - hate to end up left hanging to dry by Avalon if I have a problem.

I'm heavily leaning towards passing (not least because of the sheer logistics involved in this transaction if I decided to proceed with it, but I am open to persuasion...

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
The Time has the same midrange driver as the ED, and a slightly larger but otherwise identical Diamond tweeter. How would the ED be the much better speaker? Very puzzling...

The bas are mush better in ED....

I just care what the have of drive and what the cost is... the ED is the best speaker Avalon have made... same with the Indra and Isis.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
The bas are mush better in ED....

... the ED is the best speaker Avalon have made... .

Sorry to disagree I compared the Eidolon with the Charles Hansen designed Ascent II's which I owned--I preferred the Ascent's--the E's were just too over bearing with the enforced brightness of the Diamond tweeter

Good try--but lacked the Hansen "magic"

Interestingly note above the customer service side of Avalon quoted as having "issues'

I had amazing cooperation when Julien was there:)-- maybe his departure has allowed cracks to appear :(

BruceD

johnsonlwu

Apr 26, 2015
Eidolon diamonds vs Ascent II

Had the Ascent IIs since 1996.
Monitor, Eidolon, now Eidolon Diamond.

The Diamond has a tendency to become lean and brittle if driven hard.
The Ascent IIs play *music*, not just stereo speakers.

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Diamond tweeter implemented on the Isis is pristine and phenomenal, when you figure-out your wiring and components configuration.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Agreed again...

Saying that, the Compass killed me at Avalon factory demo...

Sorry to disagree I compared the Eidolon with the Charles Hansen designed Ascent II's which I owned--I preferred the Ascent's--the E's were just too over bearing with the enforced brightness of the Diamond tweeter

Good try--but lacked the Hansen "magic"

Interestingly note above the customer service side of Avalon quoted as having "issues'

I had amazing cooperation when Julien was there:)-- maybe his departure has allowed cracks to appear :(

BruceD

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
Hello all.

Thinking about a pair of "Times" after 10 glorious years living with Eidolon Diamonds. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
To be a little more specific. For anyone who may have had the opportunity to hear the differences between the Eidolon Diamond and the Time. I know the Time will be able to go deeper in the lower registers and it does not have the dynamic limitations that the ED has. But, what other virtues did the Time have vs. the ED. Was it more telling in the way of resolution, openness, transparency, the ability to disappear, etc? Also, did you notice any excess of bass energy with the Time.

Many thanks,
Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing