Avalon time

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Just heard some good horns some days back, and I just second your last statement (driver coherence, zero crosstalk) thru almost all Avalon speakers!

I just got a pair off http://www.lumenwhite.com/artisan_uk.html in and most say, the are good,, if you compare the whit avalon ED ore Time,, the have a most bigge soundstages, and the midbase is better to...

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
I have not heard them under familiar circumstances, what about the overall presentation, musical engagement and driver coherence?

I will say, better the Time and ED,, and the cost is not so high... in 1½ week I will get the EG The Savoy Signature so it ill be fun to se what speaker I like... I will used the pass labs XS150 and XP30 and Audio aero to this.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I have not heard them under familiar circumstances, what about the overall presentation, musical engagement and driver coherence?

I used Eidolon Diamond for 4 years and I live with the Time's more than a year. These two speakers are very different.Time does NOT have bass, dynamics and loudness limitations of the Eidolon Diamond and it rocks! Please read Roy Gregory's review in Hi-Fi (#71). My experiences with this speakers are very similar.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

I really like the looks of Time in Walnut Burl.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
http://cybwiz.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v75/p1414470792-5.jpg
I really like the looks of Time in Walnut Burl.[/QUOTE]

I love them in maple. There was a pair of maple time's on audiogon for sale for months at around $30K (initially $33K I believe). I offered $25K, the seller declined and I ended up buying a pair of evolution acoustics MM3. Of course, the seller ended up dropping his price until he eventually sold them for around $25K....

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Wow. I'm almost tempted. $21K...... For once, I'd be cash flow positive if I sell my MM3s. I don't care much for MM3 size speaker in my room and absolutely love the aesthetics of the Times. What a deal! I will resist the temptation because chances are I will loose some performance, not to mention the logistics involved.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/fu...dspeakers-three-way-2013-04-04-speakers-01581

I just sold one pair for 21000eur and the ED for 20000eur, you dont get som mush for avalon no more, and the new Price on avalon is total crazy this is only a speaker.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I just sold one pair for 21000eur and the ED for 20000eur, you dont get som mush for avalon no more, and the new Price on avalon is total crazy this is only a speaker.

They are insanely overpriced new and this is reflected in the price on the used market. I bought and sold a pair of eidolon visions for around $9K, so 1/3 or MSRP is the ballpark. This is for models still in production!! Still, for around $20K a pair of Time's is a good value, and low risk, because you can always resell them. What stops me from buying them is the logistics and potential loss of performance relative to what I have now. I find Avalon hands down the best looking speaker around. I'll probably keep scouting out audiogon for a pair of TAD R1s to show up at some point.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
One thing that I'm not particularly fond of is the holes on that beautiful wood for attaching the grilles.
In my sincere opinion, they should be grille-less at all times, and their design should not have those small holes in the first place (five of them, per speaker).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
One thing that I'm not particularly fond of is the holes on that beautiful wood for attaching the grilles.
In my sincere opinion, they should be grille-less at all times, and their design should not have those small holes in the first place (five of them, per speaker).

True. I had a Salk center channel and it had magnets in the MDF under the wood finish for positioning of the grills. Worked like a charm. If Salk can do it on a $3K speaker (that Avalon would sell for $10K), you would think Avalon could do this too.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The current price for Indra is 30500 EUR. This is nuts. SF Futura costs 25000 EUR, S5 - 31000 EUR.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I reckon they can but do they want another magnetic field close to the magnetic field of a drive unit , it could be a reason they dont do it that way
True. I had a Salk center channel and it had magnets in the MDF under the wood finish for positioning of the grills. Worked like a charm. If Salk can do it on a $3K speaker (that Avalon would sell for $10K), you would think Avalon could do this too.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I reckon they can but do they want another magnetic field close to the magnetic field of a drive unit , it could be a reason they dont do it that way

I'd have to brush of my physics, but I suspect the magnetic field of three tiny magents inches away from the drive unit is of negligable strenght.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'd have to brush of my physics, but I suspect the magnetic field of three tiny magents inches away from the drive unit is of negligable strenght.

Yes, the forces involved are inversely proportional to the fourth power of the distance.

The issue with magnets is that they can rattle when used with a large and solid speaker grilles. Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber and many others still use holes to fix the grilles.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Anyone had a chance to directly compare the Time with the Isis ?

BTW - what is the current retail for Isis and Time in the US ?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Anyone had a chance to directly compare the Time with the Isis ?

BTW - what is the current retail for Isis and Time in the US ?

not at the same time, but have heard them both at dedicated listening rooms: I found the Avalon Time a tad less linear than the Isis, by this I mean I heard some extra mid bass energy on the Time vs the streamlined Isis FR - both are great speakers that need a lot of time at positioning and choosing the right ancillary in the audio chain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing