Japanese SHM SACD's

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Well, I just picked up Let It Bleed and Who's Next on this rather expensive Japanese SHM SACD's (green coated discs). Uttter garbage is all I can say, and I'm really rather steamed about it. This set came courtesy of the kind folks at Music Direct who didn't hold back on the marketing puffing for the titles.

The following is my email to them after giving each a good listen (multiple times).

N.B. The satisfaction level decreased exponentially with each listen.

To MD:

"I felt compelled to drop you a note to voice my utter disgust at the sound quality of both SHM SACD's that comprise the above referenced order.

It's truly rare that a person can spend so much and receive so little in return. The mix on both these Stones and Who SACD's is just dreadful.

Suffice it to say you've gotten the last buck out of me on this Japanese garbage releases.

Considering I just took delivery from Music Direct on a Denon DCD A100 SACD player I thought to treat myself to what I believed would be some rather special sounding mucic. Well, it just didn't happen.

Do you guys actually listen to what you claim to be so great?

Sorry, but bad is bad and that's it.

Pissed-off in New Orleans!"

Cordially.

Fred Daigle

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Are you sure these are the SHM-SACDs and not the SHM-CDs? I've heard very good things about the Who's Next release in particular. I have Gentle Giant - Octopus and it sounds fantastic. I was impressed enough to order other titles.

On the other hand the SHM-CDs are consistently unlistenable.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Strange, I've read some posts claiming that the best sounding Getz/Gilberto album you can buy, regardless of format, is this Japanese shm-sacd version.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Did you hear back from them at all Fred

Hi Steve, not yet. It was in the evening yesterday. Perhaps they will reply today.

Are you sure these are the SHM-SACDs and not the SHM-CDs? I've heard very good things about the Who's Next release in particular. I have Gentle Giant - Octopus and it sounds fantastic. I was impressed enough to order other titles.

On the other hand the SHM-CDs are consistently unlistenable.

No, they are the SACD versions.

I assume the classical/jazz titles fared better than the rock titles.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I got a whole bunch of those, and the quality varies wildly.
Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the key of life" has a chopped off top end, compared to the recent 2CD reissue. But the low end is significantly booster, with lots more bass. The end result is mellower, punchier, analog-y.
Dire Straits' first sounds good, with little tinkering. GG's "Octopus" sounded good also.
So, at $50+ a pop, I'm not buying them in the dark anymore.

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing