Calling all East coast USA members

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate forum to launch such a thing but I was wondering if anybody on the East coast would be interested in meeting and listening to others audio systems. I live very close to Charlotte, NC and would be willing to host a small audio gathering to allow folks to listen to and evaluate my rig. Good or even better, not so good comments would be more than welcome.

I have local audio enthusiasts that would love nothing more than to have folks come and audition what the Charlotte area has to offer to the audio world. What I am proposing is an audio get together at or near Charlotte.

Is anybody here interested in such a thing?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Attempt number 2...... *prays*

I notice that Atlanta has a couple of members and there are others out there nearby. IMO, part of the fun in this hobby is to try to listen to systems and/or gear that you might not have otherwise been exposed too. This doesn't need to be at my house. I host another audio event in the mountains of North Carolina that folks from all over the nation come to, even some from Canada for the past couple of years and it's growing every year.

If going to some luxury log cabins that even Donald Trump would approve of might perk up some interest in some of us getting together, I'm all for organizing something for this forum. It's a great venue for such an event and power is not an issue. If nothing else, a break from the daily grind amongst other folks in our beloved hobby while in the beautiful Shenandoah mountains should be enough of an incitement to at least consider the possibility. How does sitting in a steaming jacuzzi while overlooking the mist covered mountains in your own private luxury log cabin sound?

;)

It is always nice to meet the face behind the posting and meeting each other face to face while listening to rigs can only [in my experience] enhance the community at large and build even stronger friendships in a hobby that seems to be dwindling. I travel when I can and I thoroughly enjoy meeting others and auditioning the systems they have built along my audio journey. Personally, I have changed lanes along my own audio journey in doing so and moved into the fast lane toward audio bliss.

We can even start with meeting each other over a coffee or a beer, no worries. You'll get to know me more and see what it is that I'm all about. What say you, are you game?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Well, after crickets have been calling for years now....

We may have at least one member that is willing to team up and create an audio group. Marty, otherwise known as nc42acc and I are willing to set up a Southeast Audio Group.

Anybody willing to share experiences like that of the Northwest Audio Society, by all means do chime in. We may start small but he last time I did this, it turned into a national event that is still going strong a decade later creating knowledge in the hobby, friends, contacts and a plethora of knowledge unobtainable elsewhere.

Tom

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Thank you Tom for creating the thread. I think to gather all the possible audiophiles in our area we may need to scout other forums. I am a member on several others that I could ask if an announcement would be allowable. We need to decide on the official name. Let's get started, no time to waste!!!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Southeast Audio Society is fine with me. The name doesn't matter so much as the participation, experiences and the lifelong friendships. I tried this on the 'Gon as well to no avail so we may have some hard work ahead of us. One can always hope, right? :)

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello all. I had the pleasure of meeting up with Marty (nc42acc) today and listening to some of his great choices of music. We chatted about getting together with other folks around the area and it turns out that we are both dead serious. I can tell that this will be the first meet of many. He's a great guy with amazingly the same taste and/or flavor of musical reproduction. We dissected my system and discussed the pros and cons, what could be improved upon and areas that could be addressed. We discussed the direction the system is headed in, what is planned and what we can do for tweaks to improve the listening experience. What a wonderful time! To me, this is what it's all about.

I was gonna have him wait to come and listen, as I have many things going on with the rig at this point in time but I felt that it wouldn't hurt for him to hear the progression as things are introduced and as things change. It will be interesting as time marches on to see if the things we discussed come into fruition as planned or better than planned. As for today, he brought a new toy (thank you sir) for me to play with that will bring my vinyl experience back to bliss.

I look forward to more meets and more music. Marty, I enjoyed your company. Thank you sir.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's awesome Tom! :D. Other than taking great pleasure from our systems in dedicated listening sessions, the addition of our hobby's discussion and participation with like-minded enthusiasts is something we should all strive for. I know I miss our little audio club in Toronto.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Tom it was a pleasure meeting you today. I am excited at the possibilities of creating an audio group in our area to meet like minded individuals to talk all things audio. In a society of impersonal texts and emails it is nice to meet people face to face. I am also excited about your system advancements. If the nothing else we will have an audio society of two.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hehe.....Hi, Marty! Unfortunately no, not yet, life keeps getting in the way. I did fix the amplifier but have not reassembled the system, nor have I done what we talked about doing to the speakers. Take today for example - I wake up at 5:30, loaded the truck, hooked up the trailer and hit the road at 6:00. Worked all day up until about 45 minutes ago. Made an adult drink and unloaded the truck so that I could load it back up with the scaffolding and tools for tomorrow's project. Spent 5 minutes checking out the forum and responding to you, then off to take a shower and get cleaned up from the day's work. Then back to work printing W-3's, W-2's, updating some things on Quickbooks and doing ivoicing, then I have the pleasure of loading the work orders for the next two houses so that the crew knows what to do. At that point, I can promise you that it will be past my bedtime.

I hope to get the rig up and running this weekend (if I don't go to Atlanta to pick up the NG, more LP's from my buddy and steam cleaner for the vinyl rig) and start to do what we had talked about doing to the speakers. Hopefully I can get all of the albums put up on the rack as well. I'm excited but simply too busy to do anything about it right now.......the pleasures of owning your own business......but it does afford me the luxuries I have so it doesn't bother me in the least and I actually love doing what it is I do.

I'm looking very forward to it because as I mentioned, it has been 6 years plus since I had the vinyl portion of the rig up and running and I absolutely LOVE spinning vinyl. :D

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing