VTL ph 6.5

rknebel

Dec 29, 2011
Has anyone heard or know anything about the VTL phono preamp the tp6.5. I have a audio research ph7 and was looking into getting a new preamp. i have not been able to find any reviews on the tp 6.5. Has anyone heard it or know how it compares to audio research phono preamps ? Just seems suspicious that nobody has reviewed it.

Thanks
Rick

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I've had one for about a year now and it's a phenomenal piece. My unit has the step-up transformer on the MM input and in comparing that to the regular MC gain stage the transformer makes for an audible improvement in sound. For the most part it has just about every configuration option needed for a modern setup.

Overall it's very quiet and very detailed, but doesn't suck the life out of the music like so many items in the high end today.

The rest of the analog side is a basis 2800 (vacuum), Vector 4, and an Air Tight PC-1 Supreme. I've had a number of different analog setups in my system over the years, but this is the first set of components that has such a high degree of synergy that I have no interest in looking elsewhere (which is a first for me).

I don't have any first-hand experience with the ARC phono stages so I can't help you with a direct comparison there, but I'm happy to answer any specific questions that you may have.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about a lack of reviews on this one. VTL never seemed to be one of the must-review products out there.

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

rknebel

Dec 29, 2011
I've had one for about a year now and it's a phenomenal piece. My unit has the step-up transformer on the MM input and in comparing that to the regular MC gain stage the transformer makes for an audible improvement in sound. For the most part it has just about every configuration option needed for a modern setup.

Overall it's very quiet and very detailed, but doesn't suck the life out of the music like so many items in the high end today.

The rest of the analog side is a basis 2800 (vacuum), Vector 4, and an Air Tight PC-1 Supreme. I've had a number of different analog setups in my system over the years, but this is the first set of components that has such a high degree of synergy that I have no interest in looking elsewhere (which is a first for me).

I don't have any first-hand experience with the ARC phono stages so I can't help you with a direct comparison there, but I'm happy to answer any specific questions that you may have.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about a lack of reviews on this one. VTL never seemed to be one of the must-review products out there.

Thanks that helps. Could you tell me what the rest of your system is

rknebel

Dec 29, 2011
Interesting. I was thinking about getting the 6.5 phono stage and 7.5 line stage eventually. my amp is the VTL S-400. I thought I saw in a previous post you used to have Vandersteen 5a's. that is what I have now. I have been toying with the idea of getting Some brand of Wilson's. What made you switch from the Vandersteen's ?

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Interesting. I was thinking about getting the 6.5 phono stage and 7.5 line stage eventually. my amp is the VTL S-400. I thought I saw in a previous post you used to have Vandersteen 5a's. that is what I have now. I have been toying with the idea of getting Some brand of Wilson's. What made you switch from the Vandersteen's ?

I got a bit bored with the 5As and often found them lacking in dynamics. I was considering the 7s and at about the same time my dealer picked up the Rockport line. After a couple of hours with his demo Aquilas I was sold and ordered a pair for myself.

Rockport is in the process of releasing the Avior, which is at a similar price point to the Wilson Sasha. Should be some very stiff competition.

slp

Mar 16, 2012
i have owned the tp6.5 for almost 2 years now. mine also has a transformer on the mm side. its musical and dynamic. for the price, i think it will be a value for your money. you can even ask your dealer if he can give you or provide you with a nos tubes for the input tested by ms bea. its a perfect match.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Interesting that the SUT option sounds better than the Active jfet. Sounds like VTL needs to go back to the drawing board and design a new active j-fet amplification step.

In using the SUT, do the mc loading values change?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
VTL TL-7.5 Series III
VTL MB-450 Series III
Wadia S7i
Cullen-modified Sonos ZP-90
Rockport Aquila speakers
Transparent Reference and Reference XL (mm2) throughout.

Nice system!!! i may pm you to get your advice about a few things...hope that's alright.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I got a bit bored with the 5As and often found them lacking in dynamics. I was considering the 7s and at about the same time my dealer picked up the Rockport line. After a couple of hours with his demo Aquilas I was sold and ordered a pair for myself.

Rockport is in the process of releasing the Avior, which is at a similar price point to the Wilson Sasha. Should be some very stiff competition.

Not heard these particular ones, but i do remember spending several hours with YG Acoustics Anat Prof and the much older Rockport Merak Sheritans and the Hansen Princes. I really found the Merak's my favorite. I acknowledged all the wonderful things the YG did better than the Meraks (given the significant age and technology and cost that separated the two)...i appreciated but did not love the Hansen Prince. But i found the Meraks incredibly technically strong, voiced very naturally...and for the money extremely well built...those were still being made wit the same materials as the Hyperion and now Arrakkis.

So i can only imagine what the latest generation Rockports must really sound like...enjoy! Other than the Alexandrias, the Big Rockports are the only speakers that i would be seriously tempted to audition to top my Wilson X1/Grand Slamms.

Last edited:

slp

Mar 16, 2012
Interesting that the SUT option sounds better than the Active jfet. Sounds like VTL needs to go back to the drawing board and design a new active j-fet amplification step.

In using the SUT, do the mc loading values change?

yes, you can change the loading in using the SUT. only the output level cannot be changed.
regarding the active mc, depending on the cartridge it is also good. for the active mc i am using my sonic lab ultra eminent and for the SUT i am using zyx airy 3 gold.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
So, this phono preamplifier can't accept two MC ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Yes it can. One fet mc stage and one sut mc stage.

If it is a SUT, I can not connected the two Audio-Technica ART-9 with...
I'm thinking I will buy Zanden 120 or Accuphase C47 or Accuphase C37...or Vitus RP-102...

Thanks for the explication.
I have just seen that on the website
https://www.vtl.com/products/phono-preamplifiers/tp6-5-signature-phono-preamplifier/

The TP6.5 also offers a high quality transformer Moving Coil step up option, both to offer a low-noise MC step up, and a second MC stage. This second MC input replaces the original MM input that is normally standard in the TP6.5 Phono Stage, and uses the existing MM input to provide access to the transformer MC step up.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Someone has the VTL 6.5 Phono, please ?
I appreciate to have some informations about the sound and the reliability of this product. Thank

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I have the VTL 6.5 and really like it a lot. Very detailed, Great Clarity and imaging, good sound staging and an epic bottom end. Feeding it is a VPI Avenger with Reference Arm and the Transfiguration Proteus Cartridge. I no longer feel any need to upgrade further. Mine has the SUT and I prefer that with the Proteus cartridge. Very reliable!

George

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, when I visited Audiosilente, who is well known for his vintage TD 124 mods, and also makes the Blackstone idler, we compared the VTL 6.5 to an Italian phono from Audio Analog. It is a small Italian company. The pre and power were also AA, going into the smaller Infinity speakers. Audio Analog is all solid state. We compared the two phonos with Zyx Airy, and the AA was quite better. The VTL had a very high noise floor and muddier as compared to AA which was low noise, clean, and let the LP information flow through. It is not that AA rated high in Italy, but it was a better phono nevertheless

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Thanks.
Now, my choice is Zanden 120 or Accuphase C47.

Reactions: bonzo75

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
And I add Moodwright PH 150...

heyjoey

Mar 21, 2020
I have had a VTL 6.5 with the step-up option for 3 or so years. Excellent overall phono preamp. I like having the option of the step-up. Some cartridges work better on each side. This is a super flexible unit as it allows for gain and loading adjustments on both inputs. My unit was manufactured in 2013 and about 2 years ago I sent it for an upgrade just prior to the release of the 6.5 series II to market so at that time VTL upgraded to the latest 6.5 series 1 specs. It sounded notably better. Funny thing was I sent it in to VTL for what I thought was a channel out but turned out it was my cartridge so while the unit was there I had it upgraded. Bea at VTL said the upgrade would be a noticeable improvement in sound and it was. So I think this model has been in production for many years without a model number change with continued sound quality improvements over time. The change I heard from a 2013 vintage to 2019 upgrade was like a whole new model up you would experience with most companies but without a model number change. I would imagine units a bit older than 2013 may not be as good as the 2013 vintage. Unit has been very reliable with no issues and great company to work based on my limited experience with their products. The latest 6.5 series ii is supposedly another step change up in sound quality though I have not heard it yet. Good luck in the search and hope that helps. Happy Listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing