Avalon speakers positioning

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Based on my experience living and listening to many Avalon models, here are some findings that can be usefull for owners or prospective buyers, but will first advice to follow the manufacturer recommendations (which has a lot of useful content regarding speaker installation and positioning)

1.- Try placing both speakers way into the room - I have found some people complaining of lack of bass response for Avalon speakers, placing them at 1/3 th of the room will create a very realistic sonic reproduction with a wide frequency response and a nice laid-back soundstage recreation.

2.- minimum or no toe-in - Many are tempted to toe Avalon apeakers as other manufacturars could suggest, I have found that no toe-in creates a better scenario and an even frequency response.

3.- room treatment - I have benefitted of using absorption/difraction material in the back wall and at the ceiling as first reflection areas to treat, bass traps of 120Hz also worked well at my room.

4.- grilles on - (see other thread here)

5.- leave space back - pulling in the listening chair has helped me to achieve a more dynamic/intimate presentation.

These are of course findings that I have recorded at my dedicated listening room, professionaly treated - trust your ears/measurements to achieve the best speaker positioning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dev.R

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Flez, your recommended speaker and listening seat placement has worked for me as well for MOST modern speakers.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
yeap, but number 2 and 4 are more oriented to Avalon designs - the zero toe-in is because of the shaped form of the speakers, such as grilles on the speakers to give a better controlled high-frequency reproduction.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had some friends visiting my audio room last night, we played on very minor speaker adjustments and found a great (and looks final) positioning setup for my Ascents, at about half an inch of additional separation between both speakers, now the are way closer to the side walls, almost no toe-in and way into the room - Bruckner never sounded like this! :)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
hi flez

just to let you know your inbox is full...tried to respond to your PM.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing