The mighty mouse of audio, aka The REL T5 subwoofer

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have now owned the new REL T5 subwoofer for about a month and wanted to write a mini review of this subwoofer.

Things did not start off too well with my acquisition of this sub, my dealer was back-ordered over a month and apparently the supplier...Sumiko US, has problems with acquiring enough supply to meet demand:(.

The subwoofer can be ordered in piano black or gloss white...( gloss white??? would you really want this color option...Really?:eek:) BTW, the gloss white was not as back-ordered as the piano black...can't imagine why:D

To get back to my little escapade, after five weeks, the dealer calls me and we are ready to go. :)

The subwoofer is delivered in a standard size cardboard box, upon opening the box, one is greeted with a cloth covering of exceptional quality....a good sign so far. The box also has an interesting warning, to be careful not to mar the finish of the product as Sumiko won't be responsible if you do;)

Next I note that this subwoofer is designed in the UK and in California and made in......China:D

The subwoofer is appx 12"X12"x12" with four small aluminum feet supporting the box. I looked at the 8" driver and was pleased to see that it features a full rubber surround (not the dreaded foam) and is of the long throw design. On the back panel is a standard iec, rotary controls for adjusting the x-over , a Neutrik connector and two gold plated RCA's for high level input along with a phase reverse switch. The RCA's appear to be of a little better quality than one usually sees at this price point, another good thing.

The manual is fairly straight forward and an easy read...I opted to connect up the subwoofer directly to my amp(s) as suggested in the manual....vs. connecting to the preamp output, which would be done via the RCA connections and a Y-splitter ( not a good thing IMO).

There are three wires that are connected to the left and right Positive speaker outputs and a ground wire that is connected to the negative amp speaker output terminal on the amp.

With this simple connection completed, all that is needed to be done is to plug in the sub to the wall and set the x-over slope and volume. Herein lies the fun:eek: The manual is fairly helpful with this,BUT it has taken me the better part of two(2) weeks to get this blend correct.
Firstly, one has to experiment with the positioning of the subwoofer in the room, once that is satisfactory, a lengthy listening session with various types of music is required. Much fiddling and adjustment is required to get the blend exact...( although one can get close with not too much effort, to get the blend exact needs more time and experimentation).

In my next mini installment, i will relate as to the various hook-up options and questions that I had in regards to this subwoofer and my older ARC D-series tube amp , which uses a 4ohm speaker hookup as a ground and is a balanced design due to that aspect. Also, I will be talking more of the influence of how the Subwoofer impacts the presentation of my main speakers :cool:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Where are you using the Y-adapter? My second sub is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should use a Y-adapter on the IC from my preamp to the sub on the sub side so that I can plug into both the R&L voice coils of the sub. If I just run one IC and plug it into the right or left input on each sub, that leaves one voice coil doing nothing. I know there are lots of people using multiple subs so I would appreciate hearing about how you lash them up to your preamp.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mark, I am NOT connecting the REL using the preamp to Sub connections:). If you do this, apparently you need to use a Y connector as the output from the preamp is stereo and the input via the RCA's to the subwoofer is mono ( If you are using only one sub). Therefore, the necessity for the Y connector ( to sum to mono).
Instead, I am using the Neutrik connection method ( NOT the RCA's and the Y connector), wherein the Subwoofer sees the signal directly from the amp speaker outputs. REL suggests this method as the preferable hook-up method if at all possible, and I concur that this would seem to be a more true signal of what the speakers are seeing.
IF you are using two REL subs, I would think that the answer would be to hook up each sub with it's own left or right connector to the requisite amp speaker output and each grounded as appropriate:D.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Davey-I started a new thread to discuss what I'm doing. I don't have REL subs, but my question is general in nature.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
How does it sound?

Tim

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Davey,

Great read! Thanks for doing this. Look forward to your 'second installment' in the series!

Lloyd

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This is the second installment of my "mini" review of the REL T5 subwoofer.

For this installment, i am using only one CD for listening purposes.....BUT, this CD is IMHO, VERY VERY SPECIAL:cool:..... It's called '30 YEARS FIDELITY BY Kirkelig Kulturversksted', a Norwegian Company founded in 1974 and until a few months ago, all but unknown to me. That is, until Peter Noerbaek of PBN fame introduced me to it. Not only does Peter use this CD for listening tests at his factory, but the SEAS factory and Manfred Diestertich of Audio Physic's apparently also utilize it for the same purpose.

Ladies and Gents, this CD is a MUST ACQUIRE if you have any interest in the realistic sound of recorded instruments.....I cannot recommend it highly enough.:)

So onwards: After placing and adjusting the x-over and the blend of the T5 to my mains, along with various room placement variations which took the better part of two weeks of minor changes to get correct, I now have a virtually seamless presentation. At first listen, the sub is fairly easy to blend approximately with the mains, but most experienced listeners are going to be able to pick up the transition from mains to sub and be able to hear the slight difference that the incorrect blend brings to the table. Therefore, patience and lots of trial and error are the call of the day:D.

With the subwoofer in the system and playing track 6 ( En Elsker I Berlin, by Kari Bremnes) the overall sound of Ms Bremnes voice is so beautiful that I have to wonder if audio can really get any better in the home! What is so impressive, is that the sub does not intrude in any way on the clarity of her voice or impact the air that surrounds it. However, when the music calls for a foundation, as when the percussion enters into the fray, then the T5 anchors the stage and allows the mains to fly free and not be encumbered with any strain that might be wrought from having to present the foundation of the music. This is where the T5 does its thing so very impressively, a disappearing act that is only there when needed. To hear what I am referring to, listen to track 14 ( Manens kraft again with Kari Bremnes). The bass is subtle but when needed, the T5 energizes the room so much that I have to shake my head in disbelief:eek: The drums of Audun Kleive are simply believable and palpable....one can hear the skins as they are struck, the Bass as it is plucked with pitch perfect definition!!:cool:

One of the main concerns that I had inserting a subwoofer into my system was how would it impact the clarity and 'magic' of my SF GH"s:confused:. With ALL other subs that i have inserted with the speakers in the past, including the JL112,the PSB Sub 5i and the ML Depth, the subwoofer was audible and had to a greater or lesser extent a detrimental impact on the GH's. I think what sets the REL apart form these other subwoofers, at least in my room, is the ability of the subwoofer to match the 'speed' of the mains. Some people don't believe in 'speed' of a subwoofer, to whom I say, please determine this for yourself in a small room. Because, in my experience this is a highly critical factor with achieving a realistic and seamless blend with a fast speaker like the GH's.

In my next mini review, i will delve into the intricacies of matching the REL to a tube amp vs a ss amp.
Believe me, therein lies the rub;)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
DaveyF,

Stunning!!! Its funny that your 2nd installment should come out now. I just posted someplace else regarding a query on Hansens that i respected them, but stated my personal preference is to have magic in my speaker even it means a slight sacrifice elsewhere relative to a full-range speaker that is a solid all-around performer...with no magic.

And i specifically stated i would far rather own a pair of SF Guarneris and a sub (which i did own)...because it would give me loads of magic with a 'jump' between SF G ad sub that needs wrestling with...and now it seems you have solved the one compromise!!!

I really look forward to reading your adventures in blending the two! Enjoy your stunning system!!! And congrats again.

Lloyd

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Agree with Lloyd here, as you know DaveyF I tried three different subs with my former SGH, at the end the goal was selecting one that substracted the less of the speaker magical presentation in the mids and highs (which in my case was the DD18), keep us posted of your findings!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with Lloyd here, as you know DaveyF I tried three different subs with my former SGH, at the end the goal was selecting one that substracted the less of the speaker magical presentation in the mids and highs (which in my case was the DD18), keep us posted of your findings!

I also used the DD18!!!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 4,266

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
That is absolutely fantastic! Some people are just so creative. Wonderful. Micro, thanks for posting that picture.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,

Some people pretend that a good sub should not be heard, that they are like children - they should only be seen. :) I think this guy shares this opinion, as the built quality seems very good.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/10/24/huge-rubiks-cube-subwoofer/

That's hilarious! Don't agree with the assessment of good subs, though. While I understand what they're trying to say, if the sub extends the bass, it should be heard, or felt. Should it be subtle? Well integrated? Utterly non-directional and impossible to discern from the mains? Absolutely. But it should be heard doing all those things.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That's hilarious! Don't agree with the assessment of good subs, though. While I understand what they're trying to say, if the sub extends the bass, it should be heard, or felt. Should it be subtle? Well integrated? Utterly non-directional and impossible to discern from the mains? Absolutely. But it should be heard doing all those things.

Tim

Tim,
Exactly - It is in this sense subtle, well integrated, utterly non-directional and impossible to discern from the mains that people use not heard . Otherwise why buying it?
Thanks for making it clear.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,
Exactly - It is in this sense subtle, well integrated, utterly non-directional and impossible to discern from the mains that people use not heard . Otherwise why buying it?
Thanks for making it clear.

I agree, but am shocked by how many people want to hear their subs booming away in the corner and think they have it all wrong if they are accidentally functioning properly!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Tim and Micro, my goal in inserting the REL was to blend it as invisibly as possible so that no one could hear the x-over and detect any sub playing at all:). I think that I have been successful in this endeavor, but it has taken a lot of fiddling. To me, the last thing I want to hear in a music only system is a Booming bass:(. One of the real pluses of the T5 is that it is small enough and has a small enough driver to be easily placed in a small room and it is unlikely to over-drive said room. The bigger subs that REL and others offer are more appropriate for larger rooms IMO. I always try and respect the listening space and acoustics that I have to deal with in the room, when i audition new gear. As an example, a friend recently wanted me to try his new Maggie 3.7's in my room. I was curious, BUT declined his very nice offer, as I could not really see these working in the space I have available. As they say...."horses for courses":D...which IMHO is paramount in system building in our hobby.

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Davey, it sounds like you were able to achieve exactly what one hopes to achieve when installing and integrating a sub. If I can spend your money for a moment:), the next feat is to include a second sub for even smoother bass response.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, Thanks that would be the most likely upgrade path for smoother bass response. OTOH, I have a few other upgrades that need to be addressed first, so onwards and upwards.
I'm pleased with the system now, however I will be upgrading the transport and possibly cabling in the near future.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
DaveyF,

interesting...i am on the same path at the moment. Feel free to PM on your thoughts regarding transport. IN addition to second hand traditional SOTA transports, i am also interested in the MSB UMT. Takes just about every kind of digital signal thru just about every kind of medium (RCA, bnc, aes, usb, etc) and buffers onto solid state memory?...and apparently gets jitter from any of those sources into low single digit picosecond territory...and then cleanly puts it back out via rca, bnc, aes or i2s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing