Where to start ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
O-Boy, I can't believe I'm inquiring about R2R...:eek:

1) Machines, what's recommended to buy (Machine make/model) ?
2) Where to buy these machines refurbished, ready to go ?
3) Media...best place to buy copies of 1/4" master tapes ?

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
O-Boy, I can't believe I'm inquiring about RTR...:eek:

Rather than making mistakes, I strongly urge you speak to Charlie King aka Stellavox. He's a world of knowledge having probably rebuilt ever deck made :) (OK Charlie, you can send the check now!) I think he's even in your neighborhood and Bill Demars carries Charlie's tape preamp. I'll PM you his email address.

Here are some considerations:

1. Space eg. pro or pro sumer deck.
2. Tape handling.
3. Do you want playback only or playback and record.
4. Maintenance eg. the pro decks are a lot more work and if you're not tech savvy, you need someone who is. Decks like the Technics are just basically align and play.
5. To get the most out of your R2R, you're going to need to bypass that crappy '70s solid-state electronics.
6. Shape of the heads--though they can certainly be relapped or replaced. If money is no object, replace the pro sumer deck heads with a better head block like the Nortronics. You'll be amazed at the difference. Like going from a good $750 cartridge to a great 10K cartridge.
7. Tape sources eg. Tape Project, Yarlung Records, Master Tape Sound Labs (Kostas Metaxas' tapes carried by United Home Audio) and a German Analogue Society whose name escapes me.

Last edited:

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Hi Christian,

How about Emailing me - stellavox@excite.com - for Bill's and my phone number. Love to talk tape!

Know Bill would love for you to stop by - he's right across the river Exit 8 off of I90 or pop down to see me in Oneonta.

Check is in the mail Myles

Charles

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
O-Boy, I can't believe I'm inquiring about RTR...:eek:

Chris,

once you hear good RTR it's gonna screw your head up some. are you sure you want to go there?

i agree that Charlie is a good place to start; i own his 'King Cello' tape repro which i love.

i'd also spend some time surfing thru The Tape Project forum. thier FAQ is likely the best resource out there to get your basic questions answered, and their sub forums offer some depth to many questions.

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php

i wish that 5 years ago when i got into tape, that there would have been these basic choices for info. there was nothing.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm scared Mike....:p...but I owe it to my system to feed it the best sounding sources possibe....:eek:
That said, Bill D will be paying me a visit next weekend to check out my new table and he mentioned he might bring up his Technics 1500 to give me a chance for a listen on my system...very dangerous !

My one concern is source material. Any major label artists from the rock/pop era of the 70's available on R2R ? I would sure love 1st dub's of the Steely dan Master catalog...Guess that won't happen, huh ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Christian,

How about Emailing me - stellavox@excite.com - for Bill's and my phone number. Love to talk tape!

Know Bill would love for you to stop by - he's right across the river Exit 8 off of I90 or pop down to see me in Oneonta.

Check is in the mail Myles

Charles

Thanks Charles...good to know quality support within driving distance. I have already spoken with Bill as per my reply above to Mike. I'm sure we will talk once Bill poison's me with an R2R demo on my system...Happy New Year !

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Chris,

once you hear good RTR it's gonna screw your head up some. are you sure you want to go there?

Yes, look what it's done to us :) Now we're definitely card carrying members of the lunatic fringe :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Myles and Mike suggestions are a good place to start, I got mine from a friend who decided to go up in this never-ending ladder and got a new machine (now he is into recording his own material chasing local groups...oohh my.....) :)

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
We have "First Night" tomorrow here in Oneonta and I hope to record both our Catskill Wind Ensemble (daughter plays clarinet in it) and Rob Hunts's lovely Jazz trio.

Charles

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We have "First Night" tomorrow here in Oneonta and I hope to record both our Catskill Wind Ensemble (daughter plays clarinet in it) and Rob Hunts's lovely Jazz trio.

Charles

Charlie-You're just an old time throwback to the days when audiophiles recorded their own material :) Remember the tape magazines that dealt with home recording? Not to mention Gordon Holt's regular column on recording. Sure you have a few copies around.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Chris,

Well I have a deck on loan right now in my system. Yup....it did screw my head up. R2R is head and shoulders above vinyl in terms of delivering the musical experience, imo. Working on getting my own deck, tape pre.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing