Bluray Concert Videos

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would be interested too. While I have fair number of music titles in DVD, I have not purchased much in BD. At work with have the John Mayer concert which is nice.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
My wife bought a couple. The HD quality was awful. Camera crew don't know how to expose properly at nighttime concerts. The U2 360 concert comes to mind.

The Michael Jackson "This is It" video is better, due to much better cameras, but the fellow that rented the cameras was unfamiliar with them and did a poor job of exposing and painting color with them.

A friend loaned me the Von Karajan Memorial Concert with Seiji Ozawa conducting and Anna Sophie Mutter and although the video quality was decent, the soundstage was completely flat. Their so-called 'engineers' placed the mics overhead above the orchestra and used maybe a dozen of them and mixed it all down like you would a rock or disco album. Ugh. Sterile, over-exaggerated, flat and dull.

A friend of mine brought over a Jeff Beck concert BD and the video portion was again, overexposed, muddy colors, etc., but I was soon distracted by Tal Wilkenfeld, his new bass player. For the rest of the concert, I couldn't take my eyes offa' her. Sheesh..

I wish I could publish my GBS concert videos because they're the best I've seen, both picture and sound-wise.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There's a sticky on this, and I copied one of my posts. These are the Concert BD's I own. I've really slowed down my purchases this year, as I no longer have a multi-channel setup. I could probably think of at least another 20 discs I'd like to have.

Here is a list of the Blu-ray Concert discs I own so far:

2L the Nordic sound (DTS-HDMA 5.1 / LPCM 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
BB King: Live (DTS-HDMA 5.1 / 2.0 LPCM)
BB King: Live At Montreux 1993 (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
Carlos Santana Blues At Montreux 2004 (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
Chicago and Earth, Wind & Fire: Live At The Greek Theatre (DTS-HDMA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Chris Botti: Live with Orchestra & Special Guests (PCM 5.1, DD 5.1, DD 2.0)
Daryl Hall & John Oates: Live At The Troubadour Dolby TrueHD 5.1, DD 2.0
Dave Mattews and Tim Reynolds: Live At Radio City (Dolby True HD 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Dolby True HD 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Destiny's Child: Live In Atlanta (DD 5.1, PCM 5,1, PCM 2.0)
Diana Krall: Live In Rio (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, LPCM 2.0)
Earth, Wind & Fire Live at Montreux 1997 (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
Elton John: 60 - Live At Madison Square Garden (PCM 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Elvis Costello and The Imposters: Live In Memphis (DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood: Live From Madison Square Garden (DTS 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Heart: Alive In Seattle (DTS-HD MA 5.0, DD 5.0, PCM 2.0)
Herbert von Karajan Memorial Concert (PCM 5.1 / PCM 2.0)
Hit Man: David Foster & Friends DTS-HD MA 5.1, PCM Stereo
Jeff Beck Performing this week...Live At Ronnie Scott's (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
Jewel: The Essential Live Songbook (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
John Legend: Live At The House Of Blues (DD 5.1, PCM 5.1, PCM 2.0)
John Mayall 70th Birthday Concert (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0
John Mayer: Where The Light Is - Live In Los Angeles (Dolby TrueHD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same (Dolby TrueHD 5.1, DD 5.1, DD 2.0)
Legends: Live At Montreaux 1997 (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, LPCM)
Legends Of Jazz: Showcase - With Ramsey Lewis (Dolby TRue HD 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Mozart Die Zauberflote (PCM 5.1 / PCM 2.0)
Queen: Rock Montreal & Live Aid (DTS-HD MA 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Quincy Jones: The 75th Birthday Celebration DTS-HD MA 5,1, DD 5.1, LPCM 2.0
Roy Orbison: Black & White Night (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, LPCM 2.0)
Rush: Snakes & Arrows DTS-HD MA 5.1 , PCM 2.0
Stevie Wonder: Live At Last. A Wonder Summer's Night (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
The Black Crowes: Freak 'n' Roll...Into The Fog DTS 5.1, DD 5.1, LPCM 2.0
The Blu-ray Experience: Opera & Ballet Dolby True HD 5.1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, PCM 2.0
The Cure: Trilogy (DTS HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
The Last Waltz: A Martin Scorsese Film (DD 5.1, PCM 5.1)
The Moody Blues: Lovely To See You LIVE (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
The New Orleans Concert: The Music Of America's Soul (DD 5.1, DD 2.0)
The Police: Certifiable - Live In Buenos Aires (Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Dolby TrueHD 2.0)
Tony Bennett: An American Classic (DD 5.1, PCM 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Toto Falling In Between Live (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
ZZ Top: Live From Texas (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Ron:

I've been following the band since the beginning. We work with their sister band Delain (released their first two albums in North America). Delain's founder Martijn Westerholt was the keyboardist in Within Temptation up through Mother Earth. He is also the brother of WT's founder Robert Westerholt. If you like Within Temptation definitely check out Delain.

Ken

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My wife bought a couple. The HD quality was awful. Camera crew don't know how to expose properly at nighttime concerts. The U2 360 concert comes to mind.

The Michael Jackson "This is It" video is better, due to much better cameras, but the fellow that rented the cameras was unfamiliar with them and did a poor job of exposing and painting color with them.

A friend loaned me the Von Karajan Memorial Concert with Seiji Ozawa conducting and Anna Sophie Mutter and although the video quality was decent, the soundstage was completely flat. Their so-called 'engineers' placed the mics overhead above the orchestra and used maybe a dozen of them and mixed it all down like you would a rock or disco album. Ugh. Sterile, over-exaggerated, flat and dull.

A friend of mine brought over a Jeff Beck concert BD and the video portion was again, overexposed, muddy colors, etc., but I was soon distracted by Tal Wilkenfeld, his new bass player. For the rest of the concert, I couldn't take my eyes offa' her. Sheesh..

I wish I could publish my GBS concert videos because they're the best I've seen, both picture and sound-wise.

Mark, you are right on the button! :b

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I got mine shipped from Switzerland a couple years ago. While I'm not crazy about all the songs, the opening alone and first song are worth the price of the disc for me! Great PCM 5.1 sound.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing