Old Jeff rowland Model 7 monos

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Has anyone tried these or have any good/bad info?I was curious about mid/hi sound?
Merry Xmas

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a brief time with a 5, which I think was the stereo version of the 7s, pure class A and great sounding amps. I would consider them for driving difficult loads with excellent sonics.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Jeff Rowland model 7 had three versions, and each sounded different. The first one was unbalanced and, although less detailed and fast then the next generations, had a typical coloration that could sound very nice. Later versions were more neutral. I had some special consideration for the mk3, that paired with the matching Coherence One series 2 could make a great system.driving a pair of IRS Beta speakers. The Rowland 7s were full bodied and, with a powerful bass, but by modern standards were not very articulated in the lower frequencies. They also sounded excellent with electrostatics, such as Soundlabs. The model 5, a lower power stereo version of the 7s was one of best sounding solid state amplifiers to drive the Quad ESL63s. BTW, as far as I know no Rowland amplifier was class A.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The Jeff Rowland model 7 had three versions, and each sounded different. The first one was unbalanced and, although less detailed and fast then the next generations, had a typical coloration that could sound very nice. Later versions were more neutral. I had some special consideration for the mk3, that paired with the matching Coherence One series 2 could make a great system.driving a pair of IRS Beta speakers. The Rowland 7s were full bodied and, with a powerful bass, but by modern standards were not very articulated in the lower frequencies. They also sounded excellent with electrostatics, such as Soundlabs. The model 5, a lower power stereo version of the 7s was one of best sounding solid state amplifiers to drive the Quad ESL63s. BTW, as far as I know no Rowland amplifier was class A.

You are correct microstrip, no class-A here, my mistake.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I have used a pair of Rowland M7 monos from 1997 to about 2 or 3 years ago. They were the very latest quasi balanced model with XLR connectors and updated with the trans-impedance module. If I remember correctly, they deliver about 170A of peak current. I have used them to power Maggies IIIAs and Vienna Mahler V1.5 speakers. M7 deliver incredible authority, and are silky smooth. Compared to today's Rowland models though, they have less harmonic resolution and transparency from top to bottom, and their transient delivery is somewhat slower. Furthermore, in spite of their overall smoothness, they do not control mid treble intermodulation quite as well as newer designs, and their bass is powerful but somewhat more sluggish and 'romantic' than it is articulate. G.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If IIRC, didn't the Rowland 5 or 7 amplifier also come in a version with a battery power supply? Not that I thought the battery was better; different definitely.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If IIRC, didn't the Rowland 5 or 7 amplifier also come in a version with a battery power supply? Not that I thought the battery was better; different definitely.

Myles,

No, they did not . Only later the new series, including the M8 and M9, used batteries. I owned a M8 for a short time, but not the version with batteries.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

No, they did not . Only later the new series, including the M8 and M9, used batteries. I owned a M8 for a short time, but not the version with batteries.

OK maybe the 8s were what I heard in a fellow reviewers system with or w/o battery pack :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have used a pair of Rowland M7 monos from 1997 to about 2 or 3 years ago. If I remember correctly, they deliver about 170A of peak current. M7 deliver incredible authority, and are silky smooth. Compared to today's Rowland models though, they have less harmonic resolution and transparency from top to bottom, and their transient delivery is somewhat slower. Furthermore, in spite of their overall smoothness, they do not control mid treble intermodulation quite as well as newer designs, and their bass is powerful but somewhat more sluggish and 'romantic' than it is articulate. G.

I have always enjoyed the sound of older Krells (FPB), Forte 4 (50 watts Class A). I also have heard ML33H recently...and it made me wonder about the Forte 4 which i have not heard in 20 years. I feel like i could have made a similar comment about the ML33H in terms of the refinement in the mid treble...i was expecting 'blow away' refinement and while it was excellent and a well balanced amp, i was surprised i did not find it as utterly grain free as i was expecting. my first reaction was to say 'it is showing its age'...which, for someone who owns/owned a lot of older equipment, was a surprise to me.

I am decidedly not convinced newer is always better...but i will say having heard some of the latest generation amps (Krell Evo One, Gryphon Colosseum) that would have competed against the ML33H, they have managed to create even finer treble in some of these Class A/high powered amps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing