Opus MM2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have been considering my next upgrade and have come up with 3 options:
- Oppo Transport to Zanden Transport
- Transp Ref Cabling (10 yrs old) to Transp Opus MM2
- X1/Grand Slamm to X1/Grand Slamm Series V Upgrade (essentially you end up with an Alexandria from mids thru tweeter...new crossover, cabinets, wiring, everything except the original bass unit which is re-damped)

I started out by auditioning 1 Opus MM2 SE IC and thought i would share some initial observations. (note this piece was specifically tuned to my equipment by the manufacturer). I would appreciate the advice of others on WBF who may have heard these or know my own generation Transp Ref (with XL technology).

- Relative to Transp Ref SE IC, the Opus MM2 is far, far more composed. There is no diffuse, loose music straying off...every instrument plays within its own space and air...including various bass elements which tend to get mixed up a tad. Very composed, which leads to a more natural presentation of ensembles and orchestral.

- The tonal density must be "30%-45%" more...ie, each instrument's voice comes thru more uniquely, more strongly and more convincingly. Stray elements (back up singers, etc) that normally might be a bit off-stage, or a little diffuse, suddenly take their place in the wings and become a counterpoint to the lead singer in the middle...very nice!

- The extension is better but not appreciably

- The decay is 20% better but you better have a super-resolving system to get this...because the Transp Ref cable is already very, very, very good

- in terms of the voice, this cable disappears better than many which have superior detailing to my 10-yr old Transp Ref...which i think is a very, very good sign. Balance is very even, musicality high, and one ends up listening to music, technique of instrument playing, or different musical themes.elements within the music rather than 'the sound'...an excellent sign.

- I am not going to opine on value or any such thing..that's at least as relative as anything else and a personal choice.

- i only share one man's observations.

In any event, any other opinions from those who have heard the Opus MM2 or any Transp Ref cables (with XL or with MM1 or MM2)...please feel free to share your own observations! Thanks.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Lloyd,

i did sell my Opus MM2 speaker cables a month ago. only because the Evolution Acoustics speaker cables happen to synergize particularly well with my speakers and such.....and i could put a significant amount of money back in the piggy bank. 6 years ago i had 2 sets of Opus speaker cables when i bi-amped my VR9SE speakers.

i do still own a 1.5m set of Opus MM2 RCA interconnects. although because of the 'zeel' interface of my dart gear, the integrated phono stages of my dart pre, and the one piece phono cables of my Durand tonearms.....i don't have a place to use them right now.

these Opus interconnects have been compared to more than a few other interconnects, and they typically stomp them. they are simply so smooth and quiet; yet full bodied and extended. bass thru them has this precision and yet 'life' that is unique. i'll be using them with a headphone amp that i have coming. or maybe a stand-alone phono stage that has yet to be determined. i've thought of selling them, but if i ever need RCA interconnects i know i'll want them again. at $15k list price they do represent a bit of investment just sitting there.

your perceptions sound right to me; and the more you listen the more truth about what they do will come to the surface. it's too bad they sound so good, but they really do.

remember only you can determine whether they are worth it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Mike. Good to get the word of an experienced owner of Opus MM2 who has also compared with other cables. Yes, as for value...i'll have to give that one some thought. There's transport, possible upgrade to the speakers, etc...;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Lloyd

I vote to upgrade the speaker - you can do the cables anytime and as you know can always pick up cables on audiogon if required.

BTW, you might be able to buy my Transparent REF XL/MM very soon. But, mine are V for valve thou so ??. When I used to have the REF, the REF XL was a lot more refined - the REF XL/MM is more so with better treble extension. I can only imagine what the full MM2 brings.

I however am finding Kimber select KS-3033 to better synergise with my speakers ATM.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Lloyd

I vote to upgrade the speaker - you can do the cables anytime and as you know can always pick up cables on audiogon if required.

BTW, you might be able to buy my Transparent REF XL/MM very soon. But, mine are V for valve thou so ??. When I used to have the REF, the REF XL was a lot more refined - the REF XL/MM is more so with better treble extension. I can only imagine what the full MM2 brings.

I however am finding Kimber select KS-3033 to better synergise with my speakers ATM.

I wasn't crazy about the first gen MM1 cables. Too dark, smooth and dynamically compressed. Thought in some ways a step back from the earlier model. The MM2 are another story though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd

Thanks for that...having heard the Opus MM2, it is very, very good. But it is not stunning the way i expected it to be...not transformational...just extremely good. Which means either transport or speaker.
i'll email you.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Opus MM2 can be really stunning, but in order to take full profit of them you must have them from source to preamplifier and from preamplifier to amplifier. I have them currently on loan on my system, and the only problem I find with these great cables is price ...

One less agreeable aspect for non USA audiophiles is the fine tuning of the cables. The Opus MM2 must be tuned for your current system and Transparent Audio has a very generous attitude for OPUS owners, re-tuning them for free when needed. However, due to their high prices, sending them for re-tuning from foreign countries can be an expensive affair, due to insurances and custom taxes.

BTW, as Myles already said, MM2 is an order of magnitude better than MM.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Opus MM2 can be really stunning, but in order to take full profit of them you must have them from source to preamplifier and from preamplifier to amplifier. I have them currently on loan on my system, and the only problem I find with these great cables is price ...

One less agreeable aspect for non USA audiophiles is the fine tuning of the cables. The Opus MM2 must be tuned for your current system and Transparent Audio has a very generous attitude for OPUS owners, re-tuning them for free when needed. However, due to their high prices, sending them for re-tuning from foreign countries can be an expensive affair, due to insurances and custom taxes.

BTW, as Myles already said, MM2 is an order of magnitude better than MM.

Thanks, Micro. I have to agree on all counts! I have never heard MM1, but i have read a number of people say the same.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am not a flat-earther, closed-minded, cable-bigot by any means, but I have heard Maxx 3 with Opus mm2, and they did not sound like Alexandrias with Supers. And I heard Watt Puppies with Opus and they do not sound like the Maxx 3's with Ultras...I am still surprised you are using your Oppo as a transport. If you don't pick up the bits off the disc in the first place, they can never be played back. To me, a good transport always beats a computer / DAC set up. Good Luck!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am still surprised you are using your Oppo as a transport. If you don't pick up the bits off the disc in the first place, they can never be played back. To me, a good transport always beats a computer / DAC set up. Good Luck!

Thanks, Caesar...helps frame the issue. As for transports, i hate 'wasting money' which (for my pocket) means buying a transport that is 'good but not great' and then want to trade up in a couple years. I have only very recently done some big upgrades, but mainly because the deals were super-unusual, and the older components i have kept to either trade or for second system. On transport, i have waited 5 years to find a second-hand Zanden for trade...have not found yet. But was offered a second-hand Metronome Kalista Reference and will audition it shortly, as potential exchange for some of my older equipment.

Fingers crossed, we'll finally get that detail through. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing