Magnepan 20.7

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Would love to get to hear these one day in a proper place ( non-convention; had the 1.4s a long time ago and they played better at home than any later maggie ever did at any convention I've gone too )!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
it is well known the Maggies resolve better at high levels and are power hungry. An ideal amp 20.7 might be the VTL Wotan. wotan160w.jpg
Wotan MB-1250 - represents the pinnacle home audio system for audiophiles who truly seek for sound perfection. With 1250 Watts per channel in tetrode, or 600 Watts per channel in triode, the Wotan MB-1250 has the authority and reserve to deliver musicality, clarity and depth to satisfy the most demanding listener. Featuring twenty-four 6550 tubes per side, with three power supplies on a double-decked chassis, the 250-lb MB-1250 is safety tested for home use. Considered the Rolls-Royce of the VTL line, each pair of MB-1250 undergoes extensive testing hours in the VTL laboratory. To assure proper installation, each new pair of Wotan MB-1250 sold will come with the personal attention of VTL's President Luke Manley. Luke will custom install the MB-1250's for all new owners.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Wotan's are back in the VTL line up?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You are right Jack. That's what I get for going a search at 2:46 a,m. There is always used.:b

Last edited:

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
The 20.1 actually has a smaller midrange panel area than the 3.6.

IMO the 3.6 has a warmer midrange as a result.

I do not feel the Push Pull (magnets on both sides) design buys any increase in fidelity, over magnets in back, in spite of the theory. They are not any more efficient (per spec) than the other Magnepans.

With magnets on front and back the 20.1 can not be rebuilt by Magnepan if they delaminate or break. A big downside in my opinion.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day maggie enthusiasts!
I've just listened to the mg20.7 driven with a very powerful integrated from mcintosh, ma8000. The ma7000 & ma8000 are awesome amps and work wonders with the mg20. Previously I heard the mg20.7 driven by mc275 mono's, and that was fantastic as well. All the dynamic slam, extended highs and that smooth ribbon midrange was simply delightful. What struck me the most was the sound was launched from one sonic wave, and the coherwncy was perfect, very well balanced similar to my Quads. Many years ago I owned several iterations of the ng3 series, and found the incoherency flaws down the line. Hence my main reason in switching over to Quads. Although I am absolutely pleased with my current c-j & Quad system, after having auditioned extensively to the mg20.7 with mac amps, I am beginning to really enjoy tgat ribbon sound once again. Especially coming from magnepan, one of the most reputable speaker makers of the century, this new panel system from the mg20 can very easily compare to the ultra high-end, and may even beat it!
I am trying to get the mighty mc452 off another chap and take it over to the chappy who has the current mg20.7 system with the mc275 mono's, and give the system a spin. I know this should sound pretty awesome because the mc452 drove a pair of Analysis Audio Ribbons Omega to spectacular realism. Before I am truly convinced, I need to try out the mc452 on the mg20's and see which ribbon system is capable of overall a better performance.
I need to learn this because my next amplifier is going to be the mc452 partnered with my current c-j Act2 preamp.

Hope I can make this audition materialize soon.
Cheers to all, RJ

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
G'day maggie enthusiasts!
I've just listened to the mg20.7 driven with a very powerful integrated from mcintosh, ma8000. The ma7000 & ma8000 are awesome amps and work wonders with the mg20. Previously I heard the mg20.7 driven by mc275 mono's, and that was fantastic as well. All the dynamic slam, extended highs and that smooth ribbon midrange was simply delightful. What struck me the most was the sound was launched from one sonic wave, and the coherwncy was perfect, very well balanced similar to my Quads. Many years ago I owned several iterations of the ng3 series, and found the incoherency flaws down the line. Hence my main reason in switching over to Quads. Although I am absolutely pleased with my current c-j & Quad system, after having auditioned extensively to the mg20.7 with mac amps, I am beginning to really enjoy tgat ribbon sound once again. Especially coming from magnepan, one of the most reputable speaker makers of the century, this new panel system from the mg20 can very easily compare to the ultra high-end, and may even beat it!
I am trying to get the mighty mc452 off another chap and take it over to the chappy who has the current mg20.7 system with the mc275 mono's, and give the system a spin. I know this should sound pretty awesome because the mc452 drove a pair of Analysis Audio Ribbons Omega to spectacular realism. Before I am truly convinced, I need to try out the mc452 on the mg20's and see which ribbon system is capable of overall a better performance.
I need to learn this because my next amplifier is going to be the mc452 partnered with my current c-j Act2 preamp.

Hope I can make this audition materialize soon.
Cheers to all, RJ

The McIntosh MC-452 & Conrad Johnson Act2 should be a killer combination , even if i'm an integrated kind of guy i am sure the MC-452 & Act2 will be superior to the MA-8000 that is already one super integrated amplifier.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes indeed Andre! The Act2 and MC452 is one hec of a combination, and one that is hard to beat for that price range.

After this last week, I auditioned the MA8000 with the other chap who has the MG20.7 system, and it is one awesome system! Even with the MC275's not in mode, I couldn't really tell which amplifier was running, until the blue meters started moving... The MA8000 is so smooth, it sounds so much like their tube companions, and for that matter so does the MC452. I will probably end up with the MC452 since I'm somewhat getting tired of this tube changing thing... My Act2 has shut down more than twice now, and the monoblocks I used to own from Manley Labs (350 watt monsters) were a bloody disaster, although oh! my god the sound! was superb...

I'm now getting used to this MC452 character and I'm definitely liking what it can deliver. It also has that overall grip on the stats that's simply awesome, and throws a large soundstage at you, plus with all the nuances from those tube amps that I've been used to. It is never over-powering (even at 450 plus watts), and it can capture all the wonderful textures of acoustic music which I mostly listen to 99% of the time. My long term goal is to see what this thing can do with the great MG20.7's, because I'm still not very convinced about the Analysis Omega's.

Will see how this all goes within this end of year...
Cheers to all, RJ

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
MrAcoustat, Were you ever able to compare the Magnepans to the Analyses Audio speakers?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Eeeesh! Thank you for letting me know.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Andre, in his own way taught us how life can be fragile, and to enjoy the music in the moment. ...To live, and to let live.
He was/is my friend, a good soul.

And he made me discover the most important thing about our hobby...new music ? recordings of exquisite beauty and passion.
...Love you forever MrAcoustat.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Oh dear; sorry to hear that Northstar.
I did have a few brief chats with Andre, and definitely learnt a lot from a simple approach. It also helped me with my most recent redundancy, and I managed to bounce back in no time. Hence, the main reason why I'm keeping the system as simple as possible, and focusing those extra dollars on the family. A far better cause indeed.
Take care mate, and do enjoy that music, after all that's what it should be about.
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
MrAcoustat, Were you ever able to compare the Magnepans to the Analyses Audio speakers?

Hey Ron,

Just to share my experiences with both types; I have auditioned both types extensively, and owned several iterations of magnepans for many years before going back to Quad stats.
The Analysis Audio ribbons remind me a lot of those early Apogee designs. They were fantastic speakers in their own right and were a problematic load for many amplifiers.

The Analysis ribbons were introduced to me by Bonzo on this forum. So I headed to the distributor and also met up with two people who currently own them using VTL's and Audio Research. They seem to have their own signature sound but I cannot seem to understand it quite fully. They are extremely fast, quite powerful and a bit more easier to drive compared to the old Apogee's. They also love power and high current, the more power given, the better they sound, start to open up and bring in a real live kick! I heard the Omega's, and Omicron's driven with VTL's and the big Mac MC452 as well. In summary, to me the Analysis ribbons were very lively and delivered tremendous transient speed with some superb real life impact. The only downside to to me is after a while this was fatiguing... I could only attentively listen for about an hour or so, after a while it's "head-spinning" stuff.

This is where the maggies come into play, real "smooth operators" and for much less the cost compared to Analysis. To me the maggies are a real value for money speaker system. They are capable for delivering close enough sonics to the real event of that absolute sound factor, they are simply musical and most of all non-fatiguing. The MG20 series are superb ribbon speakers for it's value and can beat several top-of-the-line stuff out there. Another huge factor for me during these listening sessions was that signature maggie sound. When something is playing, you will at once know that it is a maggie, and the more power it's given, the more it will shine but it will never be over-powering. Unlike the Analysis, you really cannot tell what to expect, sudden explosive transients hit you in the head, let alone in the face...

Another factor to me, is that the maggie MG20.7 seemed far more coherent compared to the Analysis and obviously some older maggie models, such as the MG3.3, 3.5 & 3.6 series (all of which I owned). Yet again, it is really hard to dislike the Analysis but there is something that the maggie delivers that helps you to relax and enjoy your favorite recordings. If I was much younger and had those massive Manley 400 watt monblocks, then perhaps the Analysis ribbons would have been my choice back then. Now, I'm an old bugger with a focus on the simple things, which is the real music. Hence, I don't have huge monoblocks anymore and I don't intend on getting any either, and that's why overall I just prefer the Quads and c-j gear. Great to relax, enjoy, and be submerged in wonderful music for endless hours...

Which system is the best? Maggie or Analysis, cannot answer that for you because only YOUR ears can tell.
Cheers, RJ

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear RJ,

Thank you for the comparative analysis! I appreciate it! Yes, Bonzo introduced the Analysis Audio to me too.

I remember listening to Apogee Divas and Stages at Sound by Singer in Manhattan a long time ago. At that time I had MG-IIIAs. Choosing at that time among Apogees and Magnepans and Martin-Logans, I chose the Martin-Logan Monolith II and then III (and then Prodigy). I liked many of the same things about the Apogees and the Magnepans and the MLs. It was a very close, very subjective call, and I easily would have been extremely happy with any of those three.

I found in your comparison what is for me a "smoking gun." I am very sensitive to brightness and if someone, such as yourself, coming from the dipole/planar direction (i.e., sharing my general speaker preference) finds a speaker too fatiguing when driven by VTLs (my amplifier) then I almost certainly would find them too bright.

I have always considered the Magnepans, at every tier, great sound quality and value for the money, if the associated amp is up to the task. They really do need power to come "alive," I think.

I agree with you on the smoothness of the Magnepans. Driven by tubes I never heard anything generally bright or fatiguing on the big Magnepans. I like the big Magnepans very much; I just like the midrange transparency of electrostatics a little bit more. And my personal preference is for a little more oomph and impact in the midbass than I hear from the Magnepans, but which I believe (rightly or wrongly) I get from the bigger Martin-Logan hybrids.

The Magnepan ribbon is my favorite tweeter. I am not a DIY-er but I would like to hear a big ML hybrid crossed over to the Magnepan tweeter for the highest frequencies.

Yesteday I spoke at length to Mike in Charlotte, NC, who is the USA distributor for Analysis Audio. Mike is going to try to find an Analysis Audio client in Southern CA (with vinyl and tubes) whose system I can listen to.

PS: Quads and C-J sounds like a heavenly combination to me!

Last edited:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Ron,

The MG20.7 is an amazing work of art, both in terms of sonics and looks. Currently going all out, they are my favorite panel speaker of all types. Since going full circle, and totally addicted to that magical electrostatic midrange, I probably won't head towards these big panels, plus it would mean a complete overhaul of amplification. Far too many family priorities at the moment...

I'm not sure whether you would find the Analysis ribbons too bright. It's a matter of preference; there are many audiophiles who like that sort of slam and powerful dynamics because the Analysis are well capable of that. I forgot to mention that my initial audition with them was with the top-of-the-line Naim Statement amplifiers (250K price tag!). These amps are capable of driving anything, including the NASA space shuttle.

Listening to the Ananlysis with VTL's was certainly far more relaxing, plus the bic Mac was superb. Having said that, the sound was always jumpy, so to speak. It was certainly very explosive, extremely fast transients, which I had never experienced before and bloody quick bass. Having experienced these traits, I was probably not used to, hence preferred the trusted maggie ribbon sound or the old Apogee's for that matter.

Since you've experienced and owned both types (maggie & Martin Logan); you will find the Analysis to be a totally different presentation. It is almost like a horn type speaker with tremendous acceleration and a powerful presentation. Analysis utilizes some very powerful magnets, so their ribbons are able to move with razor sharp accuracy, and react spontaneously. For a blast on a Sunday to call in a few friends, couple of drinks and be blown away with powerful ribbon technology, the Analysis would be my choice but only on a Sunday...

I really don't know how Magnepan does it for the total cost but the MG20.7 is one hard speaker to beat. It would be interesting to see what new design Magnepan puts out as a direct replacement to the MG20.7. I strongly believe this is just about the best as it gets!
If cost was no object for me, I would have all three types (maggie, Analysis & Quads). However, I would certainly spend most of my time with the Quads, and yes c-j + Quads are heavenly indeed.

Cheers Ron and do let us know how your results go.
RJ

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing