Magnepan 20.7

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Nice sentiment, but I have kids in college, bills to pay, couple of elder parents to help take care of, and a huge tax increase next year... Luxuries are not in my budget.

Sorry then, forget what i said.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No way Jose on getting new Maggie 20 7s on the net. Magnepan tracks every speaker they sell!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
No way Jose on getting new Maggie 20 7s on the net. Magnepan tracks every speaker they sell!

:confused: Not sure anybody is talking about ordering on the net? I am not, just dissappointed my dealer won't stock them. I would do the usual and call them, or Magnepan, to order, just like my last few speakers. It's actually an advantage cost-wise to have the dealer ship to me as I get a break on sales tax.

Of course, Magnepan says to come up and visit to hear them, which would be nice (been many years), but...

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Good back hand .. Mr Acoustat, your serve ...:)

What was I thinking? "Give", "give" me the funds... It's Christmas, time to up those charitable deductions to the House of Don! :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Don I was going to audition them. The local dealer, Gifted Listene,r says that the 3.7 is very close to the 20.7. he does not have a demo eitither.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
:confused: Not sure anybody is talking about ordering on the net? I am not, just dissappointed my dealer won't stock them. I would do the usual and call them, or Magnepan, to order, just like my last few speakers. It's actually an advantage cost-wise to have the dealer ship to me as I get a break on sales tax.

Of course, Magnepan says to come up and visit to hear them, which would be nice (been many years), but...

I was referring to this in your previous post:

One commentator also makes a case for going Internet Direct and dropping the price to <$10k.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I was referring to this in your previous post:

Ah, that was somebody blogging that Magnepan should consider becoming an Internet Direct dealer for everything, allowing you to purchase straight from Magnepan via the 'net. Since Magnepan has historically relied heavily on a very good dealer network that seems unlikely for now. They have opened the door with the small models, though, and if (as it seems) the majority of dealers are not going to stock the 20.7's perhaps they should consider that model. I personally have no problem ordering through my dealer.

One scary thing is that I have heard from a number of people here and elsewhere that their dealers are not carrying the 20.7 and suggesting customers choose the 3.7 instead. I don't know know if the gap between the 3 and 20 series has narrowed so much, or dealers just arent selling enough 20's. I personally would hate to see the 20 be dropped from the line, but maybe with the proliferation of subs and so few (relatively) having the space to make 20's sing it may happen.

Does the 3.7 also use push-pull drive like the 20.1 (and I assume the 20.7)? That and panel area (and thus bass) are the biggest differences between them AFAIK.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Ah, that was somebody blogging that Magnepan should consider becoming an Internet Direct dealer for everything, allowing you to purchase straight from Magnepan via the 'net. Since Magnepan has historically relied heavily on a very good dealer network that seems unlikely for now. They have opened the door with the small models, though, and if (as it seems) the majority of dealers are not going to stock the 20.7's perhaps they should consider that model. I personally have no problem ordering through my dealer.

One scary thing is that I have heard from a number of people here and elsewhere that their dealers are not carrying the 20.7 and suggesting customers choose the 3.7 instead. I don't know know if the gap between the 3 and 20 series has narrowed so much, or dealers just arent selling enough 20's. I personally would hate to see the 20 be dropped from the line, but maybe with the proliferation of subs and so few (relatively) having the space to make 20's sing it may happen.

Does the 3.7 also use push-pull drive like the 20.1 (and I assume the 20.7)? That and panel area (and thus bass) are the biggest differences between them AFAIK.

Push-pull ! when did the 20.7 become push-pull ...?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Twice, but we can't all be James Bond...

Ok Don. ...Now please forgive me, but from an American expert on guns the other day:
"In America a gun is tailored to your own personality. It is an extension of you. ...Like a car.
And just like James Bond's gun, it perfectly fits his style, his character, his personality; it is made for him, for his hand's comfort."

...Speakers? ...Magnepan 20.7? :b

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Push-pull ! when did the 20.7 become push-pull ...?

I do not know if the 20.7 uses the same drive configuration as the 20.1; IIRC the 20/20.1 used magnets on both sides of the panel. That was part of the improvement over the III/3.x line. Thus the parenthetical "I assume", and we all know what "assume" means... ;)

Many years ago I was comparing the IIIa's to the 20's (do not remember if the 20.1 was out) and B&W 801's (among others). One of the things that led me to the IIIa's was the dealer moving the IIIa's into the same (larger) room as the 20's and discovering there was very little difference between them. So, while I have always wondered about getting the 20's, my experience has been the 3's are a good match for me, especially now I am in a small room. I felt the 20's were a bit more seamless over frequency and seemed to subjectively have more "punch" in the bass, but measurements did not show much difference and I could live without the last 10 Hz or so (especially since I had a good sub of my own design at the time).

Bottom line is I would really like to hear the 20's, but budget, room size, and an objective look means I will have 3.7's when my IIIa's finally die (if I don't just get my old ones rebuilt, a much cheaper proposition).

Aside: I had planned to get 20.1's a few years ago when I re-entered this hobby, but suffered sticker shock at the price of things and discovered my old IIIa's were still doing well after 20+ years (about ten of those in storage). Now I am biding my time and cogitating. In about 143 years when I can retire perhaps I'll pick up the 20.9's. :)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I do not know if the 20.7 uses the same drive configuration as the 20.1; IIRC the 20/20.1 used magnets on both sides of the panel. That was part of the improvement over the III/3.x line. Thus the parenthetical "I assume", and we all know what "assume" means... ;)

Many years ago I was comparing the IIIa's to the 20's (do not remember if the 20.1 was out) and B&W 801's (among others). One of the things that led me to the IIIa's was the dealer moving the IIIa's into the same (larger) room as the 20's and discovering there was very little difference between them. So, while I have always wondered about getting the 20's, my experience has been the 3's are a good match for me, especially now I am in a small room. I felt the 20's were a bit more seamless over frequency and seemed to subjectively have more "punch" in the bass, but measurements did not show much difference and I could live without the last 10 Hz or so (especially since I had a good sub of my own design at the time).

Bottom line is I would really like to hear the 20's, but budget, room size, and an objective look means I will have 3.7's when my IIIa's finally die (if I don't just get my old ones rebuilt, a much cheaper proposition).

Aside: I had planned to get 20.1's a few years ago when I re-entered this hobby, but suffered sticker shock at the price of things and discovered my old IIIa's were still doing well after 20+ years (about ten of those in storage). Now I am biding my time and cogitating. In about 143 years when I can retire perhaps I'll pick up the 20.9's. :)

Magnapan web site describes them as just planar magnetic , nothing about push pull , which IMO, is the correct way to do it , surprised they are not promoting it more ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing