Magnepan 20.7

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for pointing it - these are really great news. I was very pleased to read Something similar occurred in listening to Murray Perahia’s recording on CBS Masterworks of the Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 3. I also use this recording for evaluation - it is the first recording that a good friend always plays when he invites me to listen any recent changes in his system. And it is a great interpretation!

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Concertos-Ludwig-van/dp/B00000262P/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324562966&sr=8-2

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Wow, that's exciting! Even as a high-end "bargain" they are out of reach for me, but I have got to go hear them when my local (sort-of) dealer gets them. I am anxious to read technical details...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Might have found my next speaker .. Sight unseen :)

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Everyone felt it would be the real deal

It will be interesting. I reviewed the 20.1s and a close friend owned them them for some time. While they were great speakers, ESP. for the price, there will some things they couldn't do. Plus they really needed a battleship for an amp to drive them and control the bass panel-and that was in a smallish room. I imagine they could do a little better in a larger room but would like to hear the transparency of mods improved, as well as the amount of air and dynamics. And even padded down the tweeter can be ruthlessly revealing.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"Bah Humbug!" Is this Jim Wineys' attempt to go after the loose change in the pocket of the" one-per-centers?" Or is it another magnificent product within the reach of the '"average guy?"

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The answer to my own question!

(as of this writing final price has not been determined, but the factory seems intent on retaining or not appreciably raising the cost from the current $13,000 for a 20.1).

God bless you JIM.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Of course we knew that with the 3.7 being nearly perfect the upgrade was inevitable. That's as it should be.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Well I'm all in! As soon as I get a room about 3 times the size of my current one. Sounds like a spectacular speaker.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
There are a few rumours (e.g. Bryston) but I have not looked hard (not going). My dealer said they would be at CES, but I don't know if there's a Magnepan suite or if they are in another manufacturer's display. My local dealer also said it will be a few months before they hit the stores, and they do not plan to stock them (bummer). Said the 3.7 is the hot ticket and I should get them and upgrade my electronics. Hmmm... In the meantime I'll keep my old IIIa's cooking...

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Read a review that said the new 20.7's are not bi-amp-ready. :( Apparently the crossover is more integrated and (presumably) higher quality, and (my guess) bi-amping was an option too few chose. I suspect the QR panels are more fragile than the previous bass panels in particular, and Magnepan wanted to maintain control of what went into them.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
A couple of sites have posted saying the 20.7 will retail for $13,850, up a little compared to the 20.1 at $12,995 (which is up from around $12k when I last checked prices). One commentator also makes a case for going Internet Direct and dropping the price to <$10k. Nice idea, but Magnepan has historically been very high on having dealers to help the customers before, during, and after the sale. I appreciate that model, and it is a good one for a speaker that takes some extra care to set up, but it is frustrating when (a) there are not very many dealers across the country and (b) I imagine many are going to be like my local'ish dealer and not even stock the 20.7 (grrr!)

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have no problem buying them blind, it's the money part I am short on... I was surprised to hear my dealer does not plan to stock a demo pair, however. I wonder how widepsread that sentiment is, and if it's even true in the long run. It took them a while to get in a pair of 3.7's. An advantage of ordering from them is the shipping cost from their door to mine is less than the difference in sales tax if I drove up and picked them up.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I have no problem buying them blind, it's the money part I am short on... I was surprised to hear my dealer does not plan to stock a demo pair, however. I wonder how widepsread that sentiment is, and if it's even true in the long run. It took them a while to get in a pair of 3.7's. An advantage of ordering from them is the shipping cost from their door to mine is less than the difference in sales tax if I drove up and picked them up.

When in love, you can ALWAYS find a way, you will not need the funds in your grave, enjoy it NOW.:):):)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing