Any good gluten free bread recipes?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My wife was just diagnosed with celiac disease and now she can't eat anything with gluten in it. The use of gluten is wide-spread outside of the obvious places it shows up. This has been a game changer. Who would have thought that even Soy sauce contains gluten? I made our spicy oriental beef dish tonight using gluten free soy sauce and it's not the same.

We went to one of the hippie/new-age/whatever grocery stores and stocked up on gluten free products for my wife. The gluten free bread we bought sucks. It won't even toast. There is a pizza place that makes a gluten free pizza, but it tastes like cardboard.

If there is anyone here that has experience with a gluten free diet and has any tips/tricks/recipes you can share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
We don't have Whole Foods here in Indiana that I'm aware of. However, we have several stores that have lots of gluten free products-they just don't taste worth a damn.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
A great resource about Celiac disease is the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University. They are the largest such center in the US, and have done more than anybody here to raise awareness of the disease. Check out their site.

I recently completed several films for them and will likely be doing more in 2012 -- the prevalence of the disease (1 in 100 Americans, 97% undiagnosed) was an eye opener. I'll get some cookbook and bread recipes if you're interested.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Bob-Thanks for the reply. If there is such a thing as a good gluten free bread recipe, I would appreciate it very much.

Mark

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Carol-Thanks so much! These are trying times for my wife right now and any recipe that is gluten free and tastes good is a godsend. I appreciate your help.

Mark

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This loaf of bread will lick you back!!

Attachments

• Bread Dog..jpg
    Bread Dog..jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 549

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Bob-Thanks for the reply. If there is such a thing as a good gluten free bread recipe, I would appreciate it very much.

Mark

Waiting to hear back from my contact there who is on vacation at the moment. You really should lookup the center at some point -- it is the greatest concentration of expertise on Celiac in the country, led by Dr. Peter Green, who virtually single-handedly built domestic awareness.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Bob-I will bone up on the website over the holidays. I do appreciate the info. I heard the drug companies have been working on a pill and have had clinical trials with no success to date.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing