Audio perception questions.

Coda

Dec 18, 2011
Hello.

I'd like some advice but you'll have to forgive my lacking the correct terminology to use in this post (please feel free to correct me).

I've been thinking about audio perception (more specifically speech perception) a lot recently because I live in a flat block in which there is constant distant chatter from the neighbors above and below me and I'm beginning to find myself feeling fairly disturbed by it, I am wondering if I might be suffering from some kind of long term mental fatigue somehow induced by being constantly surrounded by low level speech emanating from other people living above and below me.

I've been having disturbing dreams (amongst other things) and on more than a few occasions recently found my thoughts becoming more focused on conversations elsewhere in the flat block and it's becoming more and more difficult for me to find my own mental space and "peace of mind" and actually focus on my own chain of thought, for example instead of focusing on my crossword puzzles I find my mind actually following the argument going on downstairs or what ever else happens to be going on in the block, does that make sense?

Obviously there's next to no sound proofing in this flat block and we all seem to know each others business, in fact there have been a couple of arguments between myself and my neighbors actually taking place through the wall, perhaps this is one of the reason I feel so imposed upon, though in truth I'm not to bothered about it, but I am a little worried and interested about the possible effects this sort of thing could potentially have on a persons state of mind and if it's been documented anywhere, my thoughts are beginning to turn to musings about subconscious mind control lol, not that I want to control anyone's mind, but just that I wonder if there is actually something potentially more serious buried in this topic.

Are there any specific terms I could search for, help my research or otherwise use to describe this phenomenon of sounds that dwell in this range ie sounds which are present just beyond audible listening levels? perhaps sub audible? (not in terms of frequency range) but sub audible in terms of dB levels?

Is it known whether or not extremely low level speech can be detrimental to the state of mind or influence it perhaps? I wonder if speech could still be descernable to the subconscious mind on some level or in some way without our knowing? I know there are parts of our minds which can fill in missing words if they are masked by other sounds, but how about whole sentences that are just out of earshot etc?

Thanks (a rather disturbed)

Coda.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Welcome to the forum, Coda, but sorry to hear that you're having the difficulties as described. Straight off the bat I will have to say that I have no personal knowledge, or experience of someone with your condition, but had a quick look around and came up with these 2 medical conditions, mentioned in Wikipedia: hyperacousis and misophonia. Both relate to acute sensitivity to sound, perhaps you would care to check whether the symptoms associated with these correlate to any degree with what you're experiencing ...

Hope this helps,
Frank

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Coda,

The resident expert on such matters (human hearing) on this forum is Kal Rubinson. As far as I know, reviewing is just his side gig. You might want to PM him. Sorry to hear about your situation. Reminds me of when I dormed. It really was tough but somehow I got used to the chatter and was able to filter it out somehow. I wish I knew how I managed that. I wish I could have been of more help. I hope things get better for you real soon.

Jack

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I am hardly an expert (among experts) but I know a bit about it. I suspect that the problem here is that the CNS is always sorting signals so that we can ignore the insignificant (noise) and attend to the significant. Human speech usually falls in the latter category but we can ignore it (and must) in public places in order to have a private conversation, e.g., at a typical Manhattan restaurant. The process, however, is fatiguing because human speech occupies a special place in our consciousness and takes a lot of effort to ignore. If you are constantly bombarded with it, then you are being constantly stressed by your mental efforts.

Consider wearing ear plugs when not listening to music. Good ones will cut midrange noise by 30dB but not make you completely deaf. It might give you relief.

Kal

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Consider wearing ear plugs when not listening to music. Good ones will cut midrange noise by 30dB but not make you completely deaf. It might give you relief.

Hi Coda:

Many of our software developers at work wear noise cancelling headphones everyday. It might not be as comfortable as ear plugs Kal had suggested but it might give you relief.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Etymotic makes earplugs that cut sound by 12dB. The good part is that what's left is flat. Thanks for reminding us about "plugs" Kal.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Everything sounds practically the same with these plugs except 12dB down. On the web page it looks like the new models are 20dB down. Here's a link to the passive models.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing