New Merrill Turntable is this the biggest breakthrough in turntable design yet?

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Can’t judge the performances by the look!
But I have to agree the look remind me some architecture from the Soviet era...
Is it distributed outside the US?
The only time I saw the deck was at the New York show last spring.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Can’t judge the performances by the look!
But I have to agree the look remind me some architecture from the Soviet era...
Is it distributed outside the US?
The only time I saw the deck was at the New York show last spring.

He's shown it at CES too! Heard the Merrill with the Anna and the Vandersteen Quatros at CES and the setup sounded very nice.

Couldn't hear the Anna in Joe Cohen's room since it seemed they had a defective sample and instead had to slum with an Olympos.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I'd rather hear from someone who is not a dealer. His comments regarding how SME tables deal with energy make me wonder if he's ever heard an SME table. Isolation and dealing with energy, both internal and external to the system, are two areas in which the SME 20 and 30 excel.

Exactly!

tb1

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
f you look at most suspended designs they are all using reflective materials, such as metal or a softer plastic acrylic with a damping system of springs, or rubber o rings. Please tell me in this type of design how is energy coming off the plinth being dealt with? An SME table is a big flat sheet of heavy metal which is being isolated on rubber o rings. Most plastic acrylic tables the thickness and density of the acrylic absorbs some of the energy as acrylic is a soft plastic, but if you tap on it you still get a sense of ringing, damped but it still rings.

Take apart my turntable ... smack the heavy brass sub-platter, brass platter, super hi carbon steel sub-chassis ... and guess what ... they all ring like a amplified bell. Yet as unified team, fit together as designed, you'll injure your finger trying to make 'em ring.

To my ears, design and material are not exclusive, they need to work hand in hand.

Absorption?

Perhaps a matter of semantics, but in my books, it's more important to quickly (very very quickly) dissipate energy away from the stylus / groove relationship than "absorbing" resonance & vibration. Plus, it's far more important to minimize energy transmissions directly at there source (motor/bearing/environmental) than it is to "absorb" or have to dissipate 'em later.

As far as environmental vibrations goes, well ... hence the suspension, but unknown to most, a suspension system should also act as a filter to control interior based noise transmissions; not just incoming environmental vibration. In my travels, the Achilles heal with many a "good" suspension design is that they allow too much lateral movement, therefore changing the relationship between the pulley, belt & platter ... causing potential timing issues. Suspensions can be very tricky to setup, and perhaps they'll always represent some form of a compromised "fix" to the problem at hand ... until of course ... some breakthrough design ...

I've never heard the Merill, but based on their "philosophy" ... I'd certainly like too. That said, I've also heard far too many audiophile "hype" stories crumble in the face of actuality ... so I'd certainly not expect ... the biggest breakthrough in turntable ... but I would certainly expect a high degree of excellence.

tb1

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Like it or not the looks of a TT are important. The performance is more important of course but with so many other options that sound as good or better why buy one that's ugly to you?

Well, looks are only important if YOU think they are important.

If looks are proprietary, so is the musical delivery of any component. Hence, it's not about getting one that's "good or better" to me. Never has been!

My amplifiers are one of the most industrial ugly items I've ever seen in any audiophile system ... but ... hell ... they represent beautiful PROPRIETARY based music to my ears, irrespective of looks (hell, I don't look at my system as I listen to it anyway).

tb1

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Well, looks are only important if YOU think they are important.

If looks are proprietary, so is the musical delivery of any component. Hence, it's not about getting one that's "good or better" to me. Never has been!

My amplifiers are one of the most industrial ugly items I've ever seen in any audiophile system ... but ... hell ... they represent beautiful PROPRIETARY based music to my ears, irrespective of looks (hell, I don't look at my system as I listen to it anyway).

tb1

Not me. I prefer to just look at it and never turn it on.:rolleyes: Saves electricity.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He's shown it at CES too! Heard the Merrill with the Anna and the Vandersteen Quatros at CES and the setup sounded very nice.

Couldn't hear the Anna in Joe Cohen's room since it seemed they had a defective sample and instead had to slum with an Olympos.

Not a bad way to go slummin'

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing