Boston, MA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My brother was at the Greek Theater performance,said it ranked up at the top. I never thought much of the actual recording,poorly done IMHO.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I never thought much of the actual recording,poorly done IMHO.

Finally, someone comes out and says so! Yes, clear but constricted IMO

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I sat 3rd row for that performance so I have a special fondness for the album itself. I've seen Al Di Meola in concert at least half a dozen times, including twice with RTF and once just with John McLaughlin. I sat no more than 10 feet from the two of them at that show with McLaughlin. Al even gave me the guitar pick he used at that show. I've seen McLaughlin about 5 times.

The FNISF album (and, for that matter, Al's and John's entire catalogs) is not about the recording, it's about the performance and the music.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
That must be you guys throwing spit wads at the groupies.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've heard 3 different pressings of the CBS live album - the regular, the half speed and the Japanese pressed DM which for me is the best as it is very extended from top to bottom. (This is the only one I own now). I've heard this Japanese copy on the Sonus Stradivari with a Koetsu Tiger Eye and the VS VR9 with the Koetsu Blue Lace and both are riveting. I can hear the passion and emotion of these great guitarists.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Finally, someone comes out and says so! Yes, clear but constricted IMO

You're exactly right. All the CD's I have heard including the mastersound are compressed. There is no doubt that this performance is legendary,but the engineer did a **** poor job setting this up. A darn shame because live recordings done right are magical.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Not in my system :) Nor on MBLs.

My Brother was at the live recording and he agrees with me that this recording is lacking. All I'm saying is the mic placement was done poorly.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My Brother was at the live recording and he agrees with me that this recording is lacking. All I'm saying is the mic placement was done poorly.

Maybe compared to the live event but then again, everything is lacking. But outside maybe of a little thinness, it is a reference recording for me. SNISF has to be heard on electrostatics, ribbons or MBLs to really fully appreciate their musicianship! Electrostatic eat up this type of music and instruments! The Lyra Titan i doesn't hurt either; not for Koetsus.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
It's pyrotechnic bombast, but I have to admit this album is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I haven't really thought about the recording quality. Now I'll have to give it a proper audiophile audition.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe compared to the live event but then again, everything is lacking. But outside maybe of a little thinness, it is a reference recording for me. SNISF has to be heard on electrostatics, ribbons or MBLs to really fully appreciate their musicianship! Electrostatic eat up this type of music and instruments! The Lyra Titan i doesn't hurt either; not for Koetsus.

Myles,
You have to listen to it on SoundLabs! :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You're exactly right. All the CD's I have heard including the mastersound are compressed. There is no doubt that this performance is legendary,but the engineer did a **** poor job setting this up. A darn shame because live recordings done right are magical.

Right on! Compare with Segovia, Pepe Romero. Thankfully, this album is all about the performance as others said.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I saw the concert performed live in Cleveland. I had the CBS Mastersound 1/2 speed mastered version along with the regular LP. I'd say that the SACD is pretty good. I'd also agree that the recording is mostly about the performance and the event.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
All my comments were based on the LP versions.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just got the ORG 45rpm re-issue, and if this edition is not straight from the master tape I don't know what is. Completely uncompressed with you-are-there presence, lightning-fast... you feel the nylon strings vibrating. Explosive rendition; and I think I finally found the A90's G spot :D

RUN to get this LP.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I just got the ORG 45rpm re-issue, and if this edition is not straight from the master tape I don't know what is. Completely uncompressed with you-are-there presence, lightning-fast... you feel the nylon strings vibrating. Explosive rendition; and I think I finally found the A90's G spot :D

RUN to get this LP.

You might also say an estats G-spot. They eat up music like this :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing