Five (5) Tech Turkeys of the year?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Why am I not surprised that CNET once again takes the opportunity to dump all over RIM. Granted they've had their setbacks and blunders, but their dislike for RIM is becoming an afront to fair reporting. Whenever you see an issue with Apple products they manage to put a positive spin on it no matter what. I used to really like CNET, but their biases are too much for me to take. Rant Over!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
All good choices. Top of the list regardless of the money involved: Netflix. It's like somebody from the executive suite opened his office door one afternoon and yelled out "Hey, guys! Competition is heating up. What can we do to really alienate off our customers?"

Tim

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Netflix tops the list, their decisions to raise the price then to comeup with another company makes absolutely no sense . RIM is having a perception problem in the US. RIM is very, very well seen abroad and don't seem to focus on that but that is an aside .. Cisco dumping half a bill is very puzzling .. Cisco is usually very sound in their decisions. Lately their play toward consumer brands has seem to backfire they are trying for example to unload Linksys or so I've heard ...

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Cisco is usually very sound in their decisions. Lately their play toward consumer brands has seem to backfire they are trying for example to unload Linksys or so I've heard .

Cisco has no idea how to market to consumers. A number of their consumer products have failed with little, if any, public awareness. How you spend what they did for Flip, then give up on it within a year is head-scratcher. What was your plan going in to the purchase?

Even the CEO can't cogently explain why Netflix was going to split into two. There was the beginnings of a great 21st century brand that was gaining power and poised to expand -- original material, etc.

Top 5 of the decade might be Kodak. A good chunk of their business was film which is a dying business obviously, but they were competitive with sensors for awhile but lost focus on that and other aspects of digital photography/cinematography. The name means nearly nothing now.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Netflix tops the list, their decisions to raise the price then to comeup with another company makes absolutely no sense .

I can make a bit of sense of it for you Frantz. Their original business model, fulfilling a subscriptions service through mail delivery of discs, is on its way out. It is slow, cumbersome and has very high operating costs compared to streaming. They want out. They want to convert their substantial customer base to streaming and dominate that model before anyone else has a chance to get a serious foothold. The path they took in their attempt to get there was so bone-headed, I'm not sure the CEO deserves to survive it. Cutting deals with the major studios to get lots of content on the streaming site would be step one. Far too much is only available on disc to expect people to change to the new delivery system. If new releases are too expensive, a premium service probably would have worked. A signing package that included a Netflix streaming device in exchange for a six month commitment might help drive people to the new model. Driving people away from your existing business model with huge price increase, assuming that many of them would just naturally go to streaming, while not even increasing the available titles enough to notice? That sounds like a great way to convert Netflix customers to Redbox customers.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Even the CEO can't cogently explain why Netflix was going to split into two. There was the beginnings of a great 21st century brand that was gaining power and poised to expand -- original material, etc.
Oh he knows. He just can't say it in public :).

Here is the back story. Starz cable channel by "accident" got rights (including sublicensing) for Internet distribution for all the movies it shows on TV. It tried to launch its own service 5 years ago and failed miserably. So then comes Netflix, and they get a sweet license for all the movies they had. With this super low cost, and license to bunch of old movies on the cheap, Netflix launched its streaming service as a free add-on to their DVD business. Consumer responds positively for getting something for nothing and Netflix becomes the darling of the stock market.

Well, Starz gets beat up something silly over the license and chooses to not renew. All of a sudden, Netflix is facing multi-billion dollar cost for movie licensing. I think the forecast for next year $1.5B. Where to get all of that cash? Oh, why not split the company into two parts and sell one part and raise cash that way. And oh, better raise the subscription rate too as to make up for the far higher cost of license.

All logical of course. There was no free lunch for streaming content on the web. They and consumers rode it for a while but the bottom was bound to fall out and it did. That, combined with higher cost of mailing discs brought the darling of the industry into the camp of losers.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Here is the back story. Starz cable channel by "accident" got rights (including sublicensing) for Internet distribution for all the movies it shows on TV. It tried to launch its own service 5 years ago and failed miserably. So then comes Netflix, and they get a sweet license for all the movies they had. With this super low cost, and license to bunch of old movies on the cheap, Netflix launched its streaming service as a free add-on to their DVD business. Consumer responds positively for getting something for nothing and Netflix becomes the darling of the stock market.

Well, Starz gets beat up something silly over the license and chooses to not renew. All of a sudden, Netflix is facing multi-billion dollar cost for movie licensing. I think the forecast for next year $1.5B. Where to get all of that cash? Oh, why not split the company into two parts and sell one part and raise cash that way. And oh, better raise the subscription rate too as to make up for the far higher cost of license.

All logical of course. There was no free lunch for streaming content on the web. They and consumers rode it for a while but the bottom was bound to fall out and it did. That, combined with higher cost of mailing discs brought the darling of the industry into the camp of losers.

Not before they destroyed Blockbuster :(

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

I don't doubt the backstory, Emir, but I do doubt the scale of the impact. I'm a very regular Netflix streaming customer, the Starz products are clearly identified (I guess that was part of the deal), and they seem to be a pretty small % of the Netflix streaming prooduct.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't doubt the backstory, Emir, but I do doubt the scale of the impact. I'm a very regular Netflix streaming customer, the Starz products are clearly identified (I guess that was part of the deal), and they seem to be a pretty small % of the Netflix streaming prooduct.

Tim
I think you are thinking of products produced by Starz. I am talking about standard movies like Spiderman from Sony. When you watch that on Netflix, the *license* to watch that movie did not come from Sony but from Starz. The only major studios that Netflix had for streaming were Sony and Disney and both of these came through Starz contract. Here is more on it: http://www.customholesaw.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=116_119

"Netflix to lose Starz, its most valuable source of new movies

Premium cable network Starz Entertainment will end its deal to provide movies to Netflix, a surprise decision that will deprive the popular online video service of its most valuable source of recently released movies.

Analysts had said that if Starz were to renew its agreement, which expires in February 2012, it could have been worth as much as $300 million to John Malone's Liberty Media-owned network.

However, executives at Starz apparently concluded that they would lose even more money by giving consumers a reason to subscribe to Netflix instead of the cable channel.

"This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content," Starz said in a statement Thursday. "With our current studio rights and growing original programming presence, the network is in an excellent position to evaluate new opportunities and expand its overall business."

Starz, which controls pay-cable rights to movies from Walt Disney Studios and Sony Pictures, signed its current agreement with Netflix in 2008. At that time, online video was watched by only a small number of tech-savvy young people and the estimated $30 million per year the cable network received was seen as new revenue that would have little impact on its traditional television business...."

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Being a business person myself albeit on a much (repeat 10 times :) ) smaller scale .. I am aware of the pitfalls of armchair CEOing .. That didn't stop me from criticizing Netflix and their CEO but now it does make sense .. Netflix makes money (revenues of 2.16 Billion in 2010) but 1.5 Billion in licencing would have destroyed them... They must however have known that the Starz deal would not last long.
Cisco remains the most puzzling though ... More than hlaf a billion dollars is no chump change ....

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think you are thinking of products produced by Starz. I am talking about standard movies like Spiderman from Sony. When you watch that on Netflix, the *license* to watch that movie did not come from Sony but from Starz. The only major studios that Netflix had for streaming were Sony and Disney and both of these came through Starz contract. Here is more on it: http://www.customholesaw.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=116_119

"Netflix to lose Starz, its most valuable source of new movies

Premium cable network Starz Entertainment will end its deal to provide movies to Netflix, a surprise decision that will deprive the popular online video service of its most valuable source of recently released movies.

Analysts had said that if Starz were to renew its agreement, which expires in February 2012, it could have been worth as much as $300 million to John Malone's Liberty Media-owned network.

However, executives at Starz apparently concluded that they would lose even more money by giving consumers a reason to subscribe to Netflix instead of the cable channel.

"This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content," Starz said in a statement Thursday. "With our current studio rights and growing original programming presence, the network is in an excellent position to evaluate new opportunities and expand its overall business."

Starz, which controls pay-cable rights to movies from Walt Disney Studios and Sony Pictures, signed its current agreement with Netflix in 2008. At that time, online video was watched by only a small number of tech-savvy young people and the estimated $30 million per year the cable network received was seen as new revenue that would have little impact on its traditional television business...."

I didn't realize that. Holy rock n a hard place, Batman. Sounds like Netflix needs a re-think. They still need a re-think that gets them to lots of product available for streaming, though, even if that needs to be re-priced. The mail model will not be able to compete with the kiosk for new releases.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hi

Being a business person myself albeit on amuch (repeat 10 times :) ) .. I was aware of the pitfalls of armchair CEOing .. That didn't stop me from criticizing Netflix and their CEO but now it does make sense .. Netflix makes money (2.16 Billion in 2010) but 1.5 Billion in licencing would have destroyed them... They must however have known that the Starz deal would not last long.
Cisco remains the most puzzling though ... More than hlaf a billion dollars is no chump change ....

Frantz, the armchair CEO is the thinking man's armchair athlete. I'm willing to accept being partially informed and completely wrong, but I have to play. It's just too much fun.

Tim

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz, the armchair CEO is the thinking man's armchair athlete. I'm willing to accept being partially informed and completely wrong, but I have to play. It's just too much fun.

Tim

Agreed and I hope you understand it wasn't directed at you .. I was as guilty as you are, calling them fools and making sure of cancelling my subscription ...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Agreed and I hope you understand it wasn't directed at you .. I was as guilty as you are, calling them fools and making sure of cancelling my subscription ...

I got that, Frantz. And frankly, I still think there is a whole lot of foolishness in what they did. They had a more compelling reason than I initially thought, but they still chose a very bad path in my humble, Monday morning, armchair CEO POV :).

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing