Which subs are you using for your HT system.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Mark is one VERY busy guy. As if his subwoofer business wasn't keeping him busy, he is getting more response on his speakers --- including me. I have ordered three of his Catalyst primarily for two channel but they will also serve LCR duty and will (at least for a while) be keeping my Dunlavys so we can do some very direct comparions for two channel. Virtually all of his Catalyst customers use his product for HT. I will be the first primarily two channel guy. Once I get them, I will start a thread to discuss how they compare to the more traditional "stereo" speakers. I will be using the Tact 2.2XP to integrate the subs (his) to these speakers. Should be VERY interesting!

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve,

It seems to me that the key issue when using subs for 2 ch and HT is having a Pre/processor that reallocates the signal source with 2 ch being a level/slope/frequency issue and with HT it being a .1 source with no slope or frequency issues involved. Any phasing or dsp should be the same for both because it is based on position relative to the fronts.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I have a couple of JL f113s. I should soon be getting a pair of Scaena speakers and the 18" subs that go along with them -- not sure if and how the JLs will fit in with this, although having so many subs around the room might smooth response if I place them right.

wilson1

Jun 14, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Mark is one VERY busy guy. As if his subwoofer business wasn't keeping him busy, he is getting more response on his speakers --- including me. I have ordered three of his Catalyst primarily for two channel but they will also serve LCR duty and will (at least for a while) be keeping my Dunlavys so we can do some very direct comparions for two channel. Virtually all of his Catalyst customers use his product for HT. I will be the first primarily two channel guy. Once I get them, I will start a thread to discuss how they compare to the more traditional "stereo" speakers. I will be using the Tact 2.2XP to integrate the subs (his) to these speakers. Should be VERY interesting!

When are the catalysts arriving?

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I had a REL studio III with REL spec cable doing dual duty with HT and 2 channel with (initially Wilson Maxx 2 and now) Wilson Alexandrias. Approximately $10K investment. Now I use a pair of JL 113s on both 2 channel and HT. They are incredibly well integrated and definitely add to Alexandrias. The cost is also significantly less! I believe the ability to optimize the subs for the room is a huge advantage over the previous king of the hill REL.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Pair of 12" Rhythmiks in parallel with my mains (not using the subwoofer out). Wy? Because I prefer it that way (mains are Magnepan MG-IIIa's). Just sounds better to me. which is anice way of saying I've been out of high-end audio for a while, am fairly new to the whole HT scene, and set them up the way I used to have them running (though I had a custom sub then). - Don

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
When are the catalysts arriving?

I've had them for a few weeks. I'm more than pleased. A huge change in direction for me but I am very glad I made the decision. Are they the best speaker in the world? No. But are they one of the better I have heard - yes. And at their price point ($7000 for a pair including tri-amp power), I can't imagine doing any better for my particular priorities and requirements.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hey every one :). First post. This seems like a good place for my first post. I am using a single Seaton SubMersive1

Hi Mike

Thanks for joining us and great choice in a sub.

BTW, Mark is a member here

Ron

Jul 2, 2010
I am using 1 JL113. Before the JL, I was using a Velodyne dd15. I was never able to get the Velodyne right with my music.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm 99% headed for 2 JL 112s.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
99% +/- 2% you're done.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Four Bassmaxx ZR18's in custom-built cabinets here, handing bass below 20Hz. Mid-bass is handled by six Electro-Voice EVX180B's. All drivers are mutually-coupled, forming a 16-foot wall of coherent LF energy with single-point dispersion characteristics.
Comes in handy when playing back my 24-bit recordings of pyrotechnic events.

VernNeal

Aug 15, 2010
I had Velodyne F1500(old) I like the tightness of a smaller woofer. I am using two JL Audio F100s. I think it is the first speaket that has transformed my Thiels. 100% happy

kareface

Jul 30, 2010
Seattle, Wa
I have two F15 servo-subs from Rythmik. I think they make one of the best drivers for music reproduction in their price range, and the 15" models work well for HT use. They will also sell drivers and amps independent of cabinets which allows you to build your own if you have the tools and the time. I personally believe rythmik is one of those companies not many people have heard of, but those out there that know their products first hand will swear by them (people who actually value measurements). I'm not a fan of people who think everything they own is the best thing on the market, so I avoid trying to suggest products I own whenever possible. However, Rythmik is one of the exceptions I make to that rule. I have no affiliations with them, but if you are looking into a sub for music reproduction I'd at least put them on the table. I prefer their products over many mainstream companies with more expensive servo designs, or high wattage amps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing