Magico Q7

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i'd get a pair if the size of my room allowed. i've either got an M project or whatever these guys cook up down the road that has the same tweeter/midrange as the Q7 in a smaller package. my dream scenario would be a q-5 mark II. perfect size for my room.

got it...good luck...Q5 ii seems logical.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
i'd get a pair if the size of my room allowed. i've either got an M project or whatever these guys cook up down the road that has the same tweeter/midrange as the Q7 in a smaller package. my dream scenario would be a q-5 mark II. perfect size for my room.

Great feedback, David. Could you tell us how you think the Q7II compares to the M Project that you heard in the same room, and I presume with a very similar system?

I've heard the M twice now and it is the best speaker that I have ever heard. And it looks incredible. I prefer it to the original Q7, though I have never heard them both in the same room/system.

I wonder if Robert Harley will get a new pair for review. Isn't the Q7 his current reference speaker?

Last edited:

David Hyman

Oct 18, 2014
the M was great. although it didn't blow me away. when i heard the M, it didn't want to make me immediately trade up from my Q-5. when i heard this, it was just much much much better than anything i've heard. and i hear everything. i just dont think anything has even been close to what i heard in this room. was inspiring and depressing at the same time. : )

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks for the feedack !

You immediately made everyone want the speaker :)

Any news on the Q3/Q5 mk 2 ? That would be sth I would be interested in.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I already got a suggestion for the MK 3 version Duelund caps, they also leave mundorf in the dust price wise unfortunately

DCACapCob2 by andromeda61, on Flickr

I have spoken with Alon about the Duelunds.

He told me that they sound great on drive units that need a lot of dampening - like certain ceramic types, but make the drive units in the Magicos sound too slow.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Was fortunate enough to hear the new Q7 mark II at Magico headquarters this week. As a Q-5 owner, and having heard the Q-7 many times in the past, i was totally not expecting what i heard. It was so above and beyond what i've heard from any speaker that i was just floored. I didn't believe a tweeter and new midrange/crossover could make such a difference, but it was transformative. Unlike any Magico or anything else I've ever heard. #BlownAway

View attachment 19349

You make it sound like the original Q7 is broken. I am sure it's better thou. 50k worth tho?

But then again I am never likely to be able to confirm my thoughts.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I could believe the hype on the new Q7 from one perspective...

...the thing about hyper clean sounding speakers is sometimes it can come across as antiseptic, particularly in the treble. But from everything i have read about the new M and this new Q7II, the tweeter and mids are dramatically improved with [most] using the terms 'not there', 'pure', quite often.

...and thus if all of a sudden the risk of antiseptic is much reduced, and all the clarity, speed, dynamics remain...that could take a speaker already very technically capable into the region of 'magic'...and that is worth hyperbole i suppose.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
of course, MadFloyd seems to be 'working out' his treble with his new Ms, so this is just me conjecturing that the Q7II [might] be worth the hype.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello.
Considering upgrading demo Q7 MKI to MKII. It seems that most of you who heard the difference between the two version are positive it is worth it but I can not get my head around the fact that the factory charges the full price difference PLUS freight. I mean if you have the choice between MKI and MKII at any dealer, he is not going to charge your the freight on the top is he ? The debate on the retail price of Magico product is fully justified and I am unimpressed by the "over full retail cost" policy of this upgrade.

That is a good point. I think dealers will have to heavily discount the original Q7s to move them out the door. With these amazing reviews coming out, no one will buy the Q7 only to upgrade later if he can get the MkII for the same price, less the shipping. Remember what happened to the demo M5s when the Q5 was released? Those demo units plummeted.

So the dealer with a pair of Q7s will have to heavily discount the speaker or ship it back to Magico for the upgrade. Perhaps the dealer discount will make up for the shipping cost and then he will have an updated MKII that he can then sell for close to retail. But still, I would want a new Q7II rather than an original that has been upgraded to MK II status.

I presume, in the end, that there are lots of price negotiations taking place between dealer/manufacturer/customer at these price levels. Does anyone have any idea how many dealers actually have Q7s on demo and how many Q7s have been made? They can't be large numbers.

Given the price/performance/aesthetics of the M Project, that is the super speaker that I would own if I could.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Hello.
Considering upgrading demo Q7 MKI to MKII. It seems that most of you who heard the difference between the two version are positive it is worth it but I can not get my head around the fact that the factory charges the full price difference PLUS freight. I mean if you have the choice between MKI and MKII at any dealer, he is not going to charge your the freight on the top is he ? The debate on the retail price of Magico product is fully justified and I am unimpressed by the "over full retail cost" policy of this upgrade.

Why do you think that a manufacture should pay your shipping charges, a cost that will chew into their profit margins?
I would be thrilled if I could upgrade any Mk1 to Mk2 for the difference in MSRPs (plus shipping). In fact, I can't think of what will be more fair than that. What is the alternative, selling Mk 1 for ~50% off MSRP and buying a new one?

BTW, JF review of the Mk 2 is out:
http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/591-magico-q7-mk-ii-loudspeakers

Chrk

May 22, 2015
London
anyway this is the way it is so not a very useful discussion, I deleted my thread. Thank you for taking the time to answer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing