Magico Q7

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
He's entitled to his opinion which can be phrased w/o being offensive, in which case they can be more effective in conveying his feelings...

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Maybe if it had a new soft dome tweeter they would have liked it better? ;-)

Never mind a new soft dome tweeter, how about the old ones on the Vs and Ms? I've not come across any negative reactions to Magico when they had those.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Welcome to the forum, Leif. Your comments resonate strongly with me, especially your point about an average system not clashing with expectations. My experiences with ambitious setups are similar - they are generally quite disappointing unless you play precisely the material they have been "tuned" to sound good with ...

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is an interesting turn. Each of us not only hears differently, and hears different things, but actually approaches the evaluation of audio systems differently. I respect the opinion of everyone that does listen, and I try to learn from each. I found a comment that Gary Koh made in another thread fascinating. I think it went largely overlooked: he basically asked how you evaluate sound based on your emotional reaction.

I had a similar conversation at CES with a manufacturer. My point then was that I have emotional reactions to music all the time, and not just with my home audio system. It may be in the car, or just this morning on my run listening to Nelly as I was trying to get through the last mile. Music can make me react emotionally regardless of where I hear it or what I hear it over. It has little to do with high fidelity – though I obviously have strong emotional reactions to great music over a great system all the time.

When I am reviewing a component or evaluating products at a show, I mainly try to focus on evaluating sound, not measuring my emotion (which invariably has to do with musical content). It is the careful evaluation of sound, as objectively as possible, that leads, IMO, to the determination of what is of the highest fidelity. That, to me, is the only credible way to level the playing field for all the products. If it were only emotional reaction, the best “sound” might just come down to what music was being played. My job is to evaluate sound, and to me the highest fidelity sound is what ultimately denotes the best products.

------^ That is a very valid statement Jeff.
...And one that I adhere to and coming from experienced listeners and professional reviewers with true 'audiophile' integrity.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Never mind a new soft dome tweeter, how about the old ones on the Vs and Ms? I've not come across any negative reactions to Magico when they had those.

Totally agree. The q speakers I've heard have left me cold

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Interesting comment... A European manufacturer I met last summer (who shall go unnamed) basically said the same thing - the integration with the new Beryllium tweeter is problematic [speaking about the Q3 and Q5] and why on earth would he want to abandon the ScanSpeak Revelator... I need to go back and re-audition the Q series... I am also curious why they abandoned the Heil tweeter in the M6...

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
I think if you listen to speakers like the TADs, the KEF Blades, the Vivids, or the Magicos, you do hear more detail and air -- the tweeters in those speakers are simply more extended, measurably and audibly.

I remember doing an A/B comparison with a pair of KEFs and a speaker with a soft-dome tweeter and it was remarkable how much more life the KEF had on the top end.

Now that doesn't mean that soft domes can't be great and that some people might prefer them . . . some of the best sound I've ever had in my room came from soft domes. But even the companies that used to rely on them that I admire -- like Rockport -- now use Be domes in their best loudspeakers. There is a warmish, romantic sound that seems to be inherent in many soft domes, however, so this is no surprise that some gravitate to them.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
For what it's worth, TAS/JV didn't seem to like the Q7 for a variety of reasons - see here

Edit: he blames it mostly on the amps; at the end of report, there is an addendum when Magico switched them out for Soulution, at the end of the show... Jury still out, it seems...

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I would like to think that I am a fairly seasoned audiophile, having owned many pieces of equipment during my more than 45 year history with this hobby. I have ventured into the financial stratosphere even before it was “normal” with several mega-systems approaching $200K, located in a custom designed and dedicated space.

My trip last week to CES, especially the high end audio portion, plus T.H.E Show left such an unpleasant taste in my mouth that I might well be done going to CES even though I have been to at least 40 of them. The reasons for my severe negative reaction are not new because they have been there and growing for at least the past 15 years. However they hit a new peak with the Magico Q 7 demo in the Magico room.

Let me explain—while we should be thrilled with how much sound quality and pleasure is currently available at relatively reasonable prices, especially if one buys select products on sites such as Audiogon, the focus has now shifted to exorbitantly priced gear that is so off of the charts that it is hard to form a rational reaction because there is no way that the manufacturing costs can justify the price AND, sadly many of the pieces, while impressive pieces of auditory art, plain and simple do not sound real, meaning able to recreate what is actually contained within the program material.

Also, many of the people associated with the gear, especially the principals, have become so arrogant and full of themselves that plain and simple one must exert all of their self-restraint to not be amazingly rude and share with these pompous fools how full of BS they truly are.

While this problem was endemic at CES and T.H.E. Show, the reference point was set in the Magico room with their demo of their much anticipated new Q7. Let me explain the scenario, keeping in mind that it was in no way unique to Magico, just the most arrogant, and quite honestly, the most surprising because it just did not sound good. In fact it was definitely not in my top 20 rooms, no typo here, it was that bad.

Something was seriously wrong in the 2000-3000k range. It was different qualitatively than the rest of the spectrum, very unnatural and just plain annoying. At no time was I ever able to forget that I was listening to a system because the playback did not sound realistic in the least. Now I realize that show conditions are tough, but they are for everyone and like I said, Magico’s sound did not make my top 20. Also it could be a problem of some other part of the system feeding the speakers, but I cannot comment on that because the most Alon would offer is that the electronics were “unspecified”.

He would not even comment on whether the equipment was tube or solid state and what class of operation. In fact, he seemed to delight in the mystery, which would have been fun and exciting if it sounded good, but it did not. He also offered the lame excuse that he could not play other people’s music because he did not have a disk player because it would have been too complicated to bring one. DON’T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE WHICH SUCH A LAME EXCUSE.

And then there is the price of $165K. Yes they are made well, BUT no better and probably not as well as my new Infiniti G37 XS, AND I could buy 4 of them for the cost of one pair of Q7’s. So in conclusion, there will be no Q7’s in my future because there are much better values for much less. Also I would be embarrassed to pay $165K for them and besides, I get more enjoyment from the sound system in my Inifiniti than I did in the Magico room at CES.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think if you listen to speakers like the TADs, the KEF Blades, the Vivids, or the Magicos, you do hear more detail and air -- the tweeters in those speakers are simply more extended, measurably and audibly.

Jeff,

Are you addressing the frequencies above 20 kHz? IMHO the characteristics you refer are due to much more than the tweeter material. At this level of performance small changes in the crossover components (either type or value) can affect drastically detail and air.

I think people are over-reacting to tweeter material mostly because the way designers "trained" the public. For a long time, some designers using metal tweeters favored a rising balance in the treble - and promoted this type of sound.

As an ending note to my post I would remark that your list of speakers chooses models having state of the art enclosure design to lower coloration of the speakers - something that greatly helps an airy sound.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Well said Sir!
Isnt this just another version of the 800 pound gorilla in the room? We have a publication that constantly endorses these products and makes apologies for when they don't sound good. Like a super hero movie to get bailed out just in the nick of time over and over again Magico has a cape with a big red M on it. This press makes excuses for the bad sound by them but never gives the same recogntion to others at the same show with similiar room issues. How come they visit this display 4 times and and the others maybe once.
The magazine is called THe Absolute Sound however they don't believe there is one. In fact they claim( not HP) that there are 3 different criteria, sound of live unamplifed music, the mic feed and the I dont know what it is but I like it.
IMHO this is just plain BS and the reason is the dollars generated by good reviews for advertisers!

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Jeff,

Are you addressing the frequencies above 20 kHz? IMHO the characteristics you refer are due to much more than the tweeter material. At this level of performance small changes in the crossover components (either type or value) can affect drastically detail and air.

I think people are over-reacting to tweeter material mostly because the way designers "trained" the public. For a long time, some designers using metal tweeters favored a rising balance in the treble - and promoted this type of sound.

As an ending note to my post I would remark that your list of speakers chooses models having state of the art enclosure design to lower coloration of the speakers - something that greatly helps an airy sound.

The main reason for the various exotic tweeter materials and shapes (like Vivid's catenary dome) are so that they can raise the primary break-up mode of the diaphragm above the audible range. This is quite easy to see in our NRC measurements. The extended FR is nice, too, but not the primary purpose IMO.

And I agree on cabinets . . . once they get rid of cone resonances in the passband, I think you need a silent enclosure to really realize the gains from the drivers. It is a system, after all.

phillipK

Oct 23, 2010

You've got to be kidding, right? How easily they forget... People love to hate Magico, just like they used to love to hate Wilson, before it became the "norm". It is the price of a new success, just human nature.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You've got to be kidding, right? How easily they forget... People love to hate Magico, just like they used to love to hate Wilson, before it became the "norm". It is the price of a new success, just human nature.

Do you remember the old days when the target were speakers using the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter?

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Do you remember the old days when the target were speakers using the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter?

Oh yeah, I do.

It reminds me of a time when I was at the High End show in Germany. One of the magazines had set up a demo where they had about five sets of speakers that they wheeled into the room and played back to back to back. They then had the audience pick the winner.

The showgoers were equally split among the brands, even though to my ears there were two speakers that were clearly better than the others. One set was distorting so bad because it simply could not drive the huge volume of the room. Still, there were those that picked it as the best.

You'll never get agreement in this hobby. And maybe that's a good thing for forums like What's Best!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing