Magico Q7

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Sorry to ask, it is confusing, but thanks to Google translate I do follow the excellent Magico threads on hifisentralen (http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/vennetra-der-hifimerker/66482-magico-56.html), and as of yesterday, you were not even sure they are fixed yet, but now you are saying that you actually have them playing in your room… Maybe Google is not so good translation...

My Q7 has been repaired. Both the local distributor and Magico can confirm this.

What is your agenda and motivation for bringing this up? I am so tired of the constant nagging on my priorities from the Norwegian members on that forum and you actually seem to be trying to hide being a Norwegian from HFS wanting to damage my reputation. So until anything else is proven about your identity, you will be completely ignored by me. This is also the reason why I don't reveal everything on that forum.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Sorry, I was just confused so I asked a simple question. I was not sure how you can comment on them playing in your room were elsewhere you are saying that you don’t have them yet.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
+1
As much as I love the S5, the Q7 is a MUCH better speaker, including on the bass: Much more impact, neutral frequency response (no typical 80Hz bump that Wilson and others use so much to make us believe there is a lot of bass), much more bass definition.

stereo, does the Q7 handle rock without sounding anemic? I have no doubt that the Q7 is a much better speaker than the S5, but so many people prefer the S series over the Q for the voicing (even if the Q series is technically better). Most people haven't heard the Q7 though. I find the S5 to be every so slightly lacking in midbass and I'm wondering how the Q7 compares in these frequencies.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Oh, take a chance MadFloyd. It's the only way I will ever be able to hear the mighty M Project. Any idea how efficient and easy a load that speaker has?

They're pretty darn heavy. You going to come over and help? :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I don't believe you.

Maybe he is referring to the translated phrase "My Q7 is supposed to be finished repaired now."? Might just be the translation but I could see how this could be interpreted as "I think Magico just finished repairing my Q7's"

Capture.JPG

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Oh, take a chance MadFloyd. It's the only way I will ever be able to hear the mighty M Project. Any idea how efficient and easy a load that speaker has?

According to the distributor, they will be the easiest speaker to drive Magico ever built, with ~91db efficiency. He is also saying that the reports on the new tweeter are very amazing.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
According to the distributor, they will be the easiest speaker to drive Magico ever built, with ~91db efficiency. He is also saying that the reports on the new tweeter are very amazing.

That would be great news. I think the Q7 is 94db. It would be great if the next generation of Magico speakers is easier to drive. I could never afford the M Project, but I would love some trickle down to a speaker potentially replacing my Mini 2, which BTW, is quite a difficult load. Love the sound, though.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Maybe he is referring to the translated phrase "My Q7 is supposed to be finished repaired now."? Might just be the translation but I could see how this could be interpreted as "I think Magico just finished repairing my Q7's"

View attachment 17787

I agree, but what would the motivation for making that a point to start an argument here about? That was my point and not the translation.

Please slso take notice of the translation containing an invitation for some friends to listen to the Q7. Would that me possible if they were not repaired?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011

That would be wrong. The Q7 is an easier speaker to drive at 94db.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Why is it that larger speakers are easier to drive? At least it seems that way, Wilson's XLF is the easiest of their lineup to drive, followed by the MAXX3.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Why is it that larger speakers are easier to drive? At least it seems that way, Wilson's XLF is the easiest of their lineup to drive, followed by the MAXX3.

In the good old days I was a DIY speaker builder I remember seeing a formula that showed that in order to get the same bass response from a loudspeaker with a lower volume we had to sacrifice the efficiency. Unfortunately I do not remember the reason anymore.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That would be wrong. The Q7 is an easier speaker to drive at 94db.

I would like to see some measurements on this value and specially the impedance curve - Magico quoted figures on the efficiency of the Q series have been systematically optimistic by a couple of dB's.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I would like to see some measurements on this value and specially the impedance curve - Magico quoted figures on the efficiency of the Q series have been systematically optimistic by a couple of dB's.

not optimistic... their quoted efficiency is for a 4 Ohm load, not for an 8 Ohm load. this explains the 3dB difference when compared to a speaker with an efficiency measured on an 8dB load.
Btw, I heard the S5 on the 25W class A vitus, it sounds marvelous - so it is not true that all Magico are difficult to drive. But the same amp is not powerful enough for my Q1 (which is not surprising as small 2 ways have lower sensitivity). But the Q1 shine with the 150W of the Dartzeel amp.

number95

May 14, 2014
One of those strange days where I agree entirely with microstrip. :( ... I am getting complacent :)

It takes a while to warm up to the Q sound for many listeners/audiophiles. THey are so devoid of a character that many will be taken aback at first then the wealth of information that those speakers provide begin to pour in and there is no going back. The S5 is an entry to that world not the last word.

I have no doubt that a serious high wattage tube amplifiers will be able to drive the Q5 well. The REF750 would do the job very well I think.

I heard Q5 with Ref 610T, it was very good.

number95

May 14, 2014
That would be great news. I think the Q7 is 94db. It would be great if the next generation of Magico speakers is easier to drive. I could never afford the M Project, but I would love some trickle down to a speaker potentially replacing my Mini 2, which BTW, is quite a difficult load. Love the sound, though.

Will share my initial impressions with M Project when it is delivered to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing