Magico Q7

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The Q7 is listed on www.audiomarkt.de. I have not given up on them yet. They are for sale at the right price at the moment, but I don't have to sell them until I have tried harder to make them sound good. I am also considering how I can live with a pair of speakers from a manufacturer having treated me the way Magico did. So there are several factors to consider before I decide what to do. But they will go for the right price.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
You can Google "Magico Q7 for sale" and find a few pair. There is one in Bronze cast which looks great. HigherFi also has one. Ebay has one.

The Bronze Cast is my pair. The eBay pair is from Higherfi. So they are the same pair.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The Q7 is listed on www.audiomarkt.de. I have not given up on them yet. They are for sale at the right price at the moment, but I don't have to sell them until I have tried harder to make them sound good. I am also considering how I can live with a pair of speakers from a manufacturer having treated me the way Magico did. So there are several factors to consider before I decide what to do. But they will go for the right price.

Strange, I did a search for 'Magico' and they didn't show up.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The problem is not with the speaker. The problem is my room. The room has a bass suck out and I need a bass output in the lower midrange, high midbass that needs more energy than the Q7 can handle.

So my solution is a pair of Tidal Audio La Assoluta with an active crossover where I can adjust this myself. The option would be a pair of Magico QSub-18 to complement the Q7 and as I wrote that could end up as the solution. Finally a pair of Rockport Arrakis 2 is designed with an active crossover to handle this and is an option too.

My system is:
CD - Wadia 971, Wadia 931 & 2x Wadia 922SC (all with GNSC statement modifications)
LP - Rockport Technologies System III Sirius Turntable & Tonearm and Lyra Olympos cartridge
Phono Cable - Transparent Audio Opus MM2
Preamplifier - Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 with integrated phono stage
Amplifiers - Dynaudio Arbiter
Speaker cables - Kimber Kable Model #88 The Black Pearl
Loudspeakers - Magico Q7
Power Conditioner - Shunyata Research Hydra Triton

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I personally dont think an adjustable analoque X over will fix that problem perfectly , i suppose the Arrakis and Tidal have that I could be mistaken however i am not familiar enough with those designs
In the digital domain one can play around , i suppose thats how dsp works, I dont know where the suck out freq is maybe a sub could help a little , problem with correcting a room suck out is , if moving the speakers around doesnt help enough , one cant just get a bump in the driver output which covers that freq exept maybe in the digital world, another analogue possiblity would be reducing the overall efficiency more or less to the suck out level to get a "straight line " this would however reduce the system efficiency as a whole

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The problem is not with the speaker. The problem is my room. The room has a bass suck out and I need a bass output in the lower midrange, high midbass that needs more energy than the Q7 can handle.

So my solution is a pair of Tidal Audio La Assoluta with an active crossover where I can adjust this myself. The option would be a pair of Magico QSub-18 to complement the Q7 and as I wrote that could end up as the solution. Finally a pair of Rockport Arrakis 2 is designed with an active crossover to handle this and is an option too.

My system is:
CD - Wadia 971, Wadia 931 & 2x Wadia 922SC (all with GNSC statement modifications)
LP - Rockport Technologies System III Sirius Turntable & Tonearm and Lyra Olympos cartridge
Phono Cable - Transparent Audio Opus MM2
Preamplifier - Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 with integrated phono stage
Amplifiers - Dynaudio Arbiter
Speaker cables - Kimber Kable Model #88 The Black Pearl
Loudspeakers - Magico Q7
Power Conditioner - Shunyata Research Hydra Triton

Thanks for the description, Roysen. Have you tried slightly different listening seat and speaker locations to deal with the bass suck out? I watched Jim Smith identify bass smoothness in my room with a spectral analyzer and select the best listening seat location for the smoothest bass response before he did anything else. Once that was set, he worked on speaker positioning.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The listening position can't be changed for this room to be able to function as the family's living room too but it is at the wall behind, so it is in the highest room gain area. We have tried a lot of different speaker placements and did manage to tame this problem but that meant a speakerplacement well into the corners of the room. The early reflections this causes damages any hope of a good soundstaging and the width means locking in the center fill is problematic.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
To me the only magico designs which were imo perfect in bass as well were the S 5 and V3 , the Q 7 lacked a little and the Q 3 a lot , peter before you get angry i havent had much exposure to your mini 2:D
Things being room dependable off course but certainly every speakerdesign is tailored to some extent

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I personally dont think an adjustable analoque X over will fix that problem perfectly , i suppose the Arrakis and Tidal have that I could be mistaken however i am not familiar enough with those designs
In the digital domain one can play around , i suppose thats how dsp works, I dont know where the suck out freq is maybe a sub could help a little , problem with correcting a room suck out is , if moving the speakers around doesnt help enough , one cant just get a bump in the driver output which covers that freq exept maybe in the digital world, another analogue possiblity would be reducing the overall efficiency more or less to the suck out level to get a "straight line " this would however reduce the system efficiency as a whole

I disagree with you in regards to the possibilities of the analogue crossover. I had the Audio Physic Cerubin with its gigantic bass amplifier/analogue crossover for the bass handle the 8x 10" bass driver in each speaker fantasticly in this same room when the speakers were placed halfway into the room in depth direction and one third into the room in width direction. I had the best bass I have heard anywhere in the same room then with the analogue adjustements available in the amplifier/crossover.

I have also tried DEQX and Trinnov in my system and have also tried the DEQX in a lot of other systems and room. I really don't like room and speaker correction done digitally. It kills the life in the music. The music becomes so dull and boring. I will never move in that direction with any of my systems.

Maybe moving back to the Audio Physic Cerubin is the way to go.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
..I can kind of relate to the AP Cerubin: The best speaker I heard "full range" was the Stella Elegans with their active crossover, which nearly managed to integrate the Manger drivers seamlessly - meaning, extremely fast bass!

Those were kind of similar approaches at the time (at least similar to Audio Physic Medea). I still wonder why I did not go for those speakers, instead I use the combination of Stella Opus with Stella Novus active Bass system. VERY good.

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Regarding overall basscontrol a preamp has also a lot to do with it , best ive heard in that regard ML 32

Yes, that is correct. The Lyra Connoisseur is a master in this regard. The ML 32 and ML 33 would have been a great choice with the Q7.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
..I can kind of relate that: The best speaker I heard "full range" was the Stella Elegans with their active crossover, which nearly managed to integrate the Manger drivers seamlessly - meaning, extremely fast bass!

Those were kind of similar approaches at the time. I still wonder why I did not go for those speakers, instead I use the combination of Stella Opus with Stella Novus active Bass system. VERY good.

I think there might be a misunderstanding. The Audio Physic model with the Manger driver is called Medea. The Cerubin is the big sister of the Medea and the Cerubin doesn't use the Manger.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Or maybe get the maxx 2 s those got the windows rattling in rotterdam when peter mcgrath gave a demo , i dont think they were essentially neutral in the bass a little bassrich , but they might be "neutral " in your situation:D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I personally dont rule out i will end up with a back to (classic system ) Marklevinson 32 , 33 /33H in the end , i might lose a little transparency but i like the "silky " power presentation

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I think there might be a misunderstanding. The Audio Physic model with the Manger driver is called Medea. The Cerubin is the big sister of the Medea and the Cerubin doesn't use the Manger.
Yes I actually knew that, sorry for not being clear. I never heard the Cerubin, but was impressed by the Medea, and smitten shortly after by the Stella Elegans, hence my post ;-)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing