Magico Q7

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
On the magico website, there is a review in italian of both the S5 and Q7 in one article. It also mentions the XLF and TAD ref One. Can anyone translate the key conclusions? It's in PDF. Thanks.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
On the magico website, there is a review in italian of both the S5 and Q7 in one article. It also mentions the XLF and TAD ref One. Can anyone translate the key conclusions? It's in PDF. Thanks.

Not much of a comparison there. The reviewer, Marco Cicogna, is an enthusiast of high resolution digital, insane high powered solid state amplifications and classical music (symphonic, in primis). Here, he is reporting of a audiosalon demo and celebrates the Q7, together with the XLF and the R1s, as some of the most resolving and complete loudspeaker systems.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
He also comments the S5s are easier to drive than the Q7s

Magico rates the S5 sensitivity at 89.0dB.

The National Research Council of Canada measured the S5's sensitivity at 87.0db.(averaged 300Hz-3kHz, 2.83V/1m).

Magico rates the Q7 sensitivity at 94.0db.

How can the S5 be easier to drive?

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY

The National Research Council of Canada measured the S5's sensitivity at 87.0db.(averaged 300Hz-3kHz, 2.83V/1m).

I guess the "ease" is referred to the selectivity of the choice of the amplification... anyway, his is a "just being at a demo" comment, that is not a real test review.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Last thought regarding speakers or music gear in general.
After attending a consumer show one month ago, I realized that there are very different sound presentations even when the company chairmans said their products deliver a "flat response".
For instance listening to Daniel Baremboim CD "Mi Buenos Aires Querido" when Hector Console played the bass, in some very good speakers (like YG) the music was very forwarded, like if the speakers/gear where pushing the strings agains you. what I mean is that the sound was so detailed that you do not hear this (at least me) in real life (the strings where close or inside your ears). If you listen the same CD throughout other speakers it seems that the bass is darker, more rolled out, but at the end this is more as real life (from my point of view).
In a nut shell what I want to transmit is that sometimes we feel that if we hear more clear sounds it means that the gear is more transparent, revealing, resolving etc, but this is not real life situation, and there are speakers that at the beginning don´t take your attention (for anything special), even more, they seem bland/boring but if you spend more time with them you realize how faithful to the real life they are.
At the end it depend what you are looking for, hear the last nuance even when this is not a real life experience, or close your eyes and feel you are listening a simphony orchestra at the Vienna State Opera.
Best,
Elías.

Which YGs are you referring to?

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY

To be honest, I'm also not that in favor to just look at the sensitivity to address how a speaker is gonna be easy or tough to drive.
IMHO, the main thing is the impedance.
Just look at the B&W 802D: a wonderful fairly efficient speaker system that requires amplifications with looooots of current, way more than what an average Sonus Faber bookshelf 88dB speaker would require.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not much of a comparison there. The reviewer, Marco Cicogna, is an enthusiast of high resolution digital, insane high powered solid state amplifications and classical music (symphonic, in primis). Here, he is reporting of a audiosalon demo and celebrates the Q7, together with the XLF and the R1s, as some of the most resolving and complete loudspeaker systems.
Thanks! Having heard the latter two, i do agree they are world class loudspeaker systems.

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
I read with great interest about the reviews by both Robert Harley and Jeff Fritz on the Magico Q7 and the Rockport Arrakis. Judging by the dates of their reviews, it seems like both of them prefer the Q7. Also, the Arrakis they reviewed might not be the latest version. I wonder what their views will be in a direct shootout.
Our member here, Roysen, bought the Q7, decided to sell them (apparently to buy the Arrakis2) and finally did a u-turn to keep them for the time being.
Another member, Stereo, raved about the Q7s.
Any thoughts on these 2 speakers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I read with great interest about the reviews by both Robert Harley and Jeff Fritz on the Magico Q7 and the Rockport Arrakis. Judging by the dates of their reviews, it seems like both of them prefer the Q7. Also, the Arrakis they reviewed might not be the latest version. I wonder what their views will be in a direct shootout.
Our member here, Roysen, bought the Q7, decided to sell them (apparently to buy the Arrakis2) and finally did a u-turn to keep them for the time being.
Another member, Stereo, raved about the Q7s.
Any thoughts on these 2 speakers?
I am pretty sure Jeff Fritz (with whom I have discussed the Arrakis before...he's a great source of advice and information) reviewed the original Arrakis before some of the more recent changes (Active Crossover, for example). In the case of Robert Harley, it did seem like the pair he heard at Rockport's studio was actively crossed over, but I do not know if it was a prototype or the actual, current production of the Arrakis 2.

I think Roysen is actually buying the Arrakis 2 as well? I know of 3 good audiophile friends who are contemplating the Arrakis 2 at the moment, but only one of the 3 is considering Q7 as well. The other contenders for the other 2 I believe include Marten Coltrane Supreme 2s, Gryphon Pendragon and the Genesis 1.2.

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
I am pretty sure Jeff Fritz (with whom I have discussed the Arrakis before...he's a great source of advice and information) reviewed the original Arrakis before some of the more recent changes (Active Crossover, for example). In the case of Robert Harley, it did seem like the pair he heard at Rockport's studio was actively crossed over, but I do not know if it was a prototype or the actual, current production of the Arrakis 2.

I think Roysen is actually buying the Arrakis 2 as well? I know of 3 good audiophile friends who are contemplating the Arrakis 2 at the moment, but only one of the 3 is considering Q7 as well. The other contenders for the other 2 I believe include Marten Coltrane Supreme 2s, Gryphon Pendragon and the Genesis 1.2.

Great input, LL, and thanks. In RH's case, he heard the Arrakis2 before the Q7s and he pronounced the Q7s as the most impressive single piece of audio equipment in any category he has ever heard (in 23 years?). Is that correct?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great input, LL, and thanks. In RH's case, he heard the Arrakis2 before the Q7s and he pronounced the Q7s as the most impressive single piece of audio equipment in any category he has ever heard (in 23 years?). Is that correct?

Yes, although I did communicate with him after both, and he did say that it is next to impossible to gauge the Arrakis 2 totally on its own because he heard it in a stunning room with totally different equipment than he has at home (Gryphon electronics, MSB digital, TA Opus, etc). I got the sense that the sound he heard that day still reigns as number one...but the factors involved are many and complicated to sort out.

The only other anecdote from speaking with him is that he loves the Altairs and seemed to consider them along with Q7s as the best of the most recent speakers he had auditioned in his home at that time.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The only other anecdote from speaking with him is that he loves the Altairs and seemed to consider them along with Q7s as the best of the most recent speakers he had auditioned in his home at that time.

Humm... I don't know... If he considered any other speaker to be anywhere close to a Q7, he wouldn't have been so bold on the Q7 review. As it is, from his written word only, the Q7 stands alone.

But then, as Keith said, his review should be taken at face value only, and a true, personal assessment of each product is in order, to determine what works best for each system.

As for me, as it was mentioned in the S3's thread, I'm spoiled by sealed box bass, so I don't think I could live with ported designs anymore...

alexandre

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Humm... I don't know... If he considered any other speaker to be anywhere close to a Q7, he wouldn't have been so bold on the Q7 review. As it is, from his written word only, the Q7 stands alone.

But then, as Keith said, his review should be taken at face value only, and a true, personal assessment of each product is in order, to determine what works best for each system.

As for me, as it was mentioned in the S3's thread, I'm spoiled by sealed box bass, so I don't think I could live with ported designs anymore...

alexandre

There is a price to be paid (as in tradeoffs) for all of the different methods of designing and building speakers. "Sealed box bass" (acoustic suspension by another name) is high-pressure bass meaning that every time you have a rarefaction of the speaker cone you are pressurizing the inside of the speaker cabinet with no place for the pressure to escape except where it tries to leak back through the speaker cone. You also pay a price in efficiency of the speaker which then requires amplifiers with high output power to be used. In other words, there is no free lunch and there is no single 'right way' to design and build a speaker.

True 1/4 wavelength transmission line speakers produce a quality of bass that is very special. They are also rare when compared to other speaker types because of the complexity, size, and weight. But at the top of the speaker heap in terms of cost, all of the different speaker designs seem to have one thing in common and that is complexity, size, and weight which makes me wonder why no company has done an all-out assault on the state of the art using transmission line speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
True 1/4 wavelength transmission line speakers produce a quality of bass that is very special. They are also rare when compared to other speaker types because of the complexity, size, and weight. But at the top of the speaker heap in terms of cost, all of the different speaker designs seem to have one thing in common and that is complexity, size, and weight which makes me wonder why no company has done an all-out assault on the state of the art using transmission line speakers.

After I had heard the Lamm ML3 I asked Albert if he could design a TL speaker for me to use with them. When he told me how large they would be. I chickened out.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After I had heard the Lamm ML3 I asked Albert if he could design a TL speaker for me to use with them. When he told me how large they would be. I chickened out.

I understand. If you want true 20 Hz response from a TL, the enclosure will be huge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing