Magico Q7

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, so why are there 3 Q7's listed on Audiogon only a year after the speaker went it production and declared as the most important component in the last 23 years???? One of the 3 has only 12 hours left, so better hurry!

No, I am not a Magico hater, but an audiophile with a demonic passion to find gear that sound like real music. For those that love the Magico sound, snatch the Q7's before they are gone. I hope you find eternal bliss with the Q7. But for those that share my philosophy, think hard why people who have lived with the speaker got rid of it after such a short period of time.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Gentlemen, so why are there 3 Q7's listed on Audiogon only a year after the speaker went it production and declared as the most important component in the last 23 years???? One of the 3 has only 12 hours left, so better hurry!

No, I am not a Magico hater, but an audiophile with a demonic passion to find gear that sound like real music. For those that love the Magico sound, snatch the Q7's before they are gone. I hope you find eternal bliss with the Q7. But for those that share my philosophy, think hard why people who have lived with the speaker got rid of it after such a short period of time.

Audiophile Nervosa Merry Go Round.

Or..men with too much money and time on their hands who get bored.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Audiophile Nervosa Merry Go Round.

Or..men with too much money and time on their hands who get bored.

Maybe so. But Alexandria XLF was released at the same time and there are none of those on the market.

I remember seeing a while back some pictures or a video of Alon Wolf, industry insiders (the goateed Magico dude who sets up their speakers at shows, some other manufacturers, etc.), and some reviewers (Valin? Harley? Soundstage Guys, etc.) having a fancy dinner, eating lobster, steak, and sipping wine. I'm sure it was a great night and I wish I were invited. But as they ate, their braisn swooned with intense pleasure. Did the reviewers, afterwards, seriously evaluate the speaker? Did they think of their readers and how they listen and what they enjoy? Did they probe and apply critical thinking skills? The answer is no (and probably would have been no even without the fancy dinner). These guys heard the transparency and the detail and called it BEST. They did not question their conclusions or play devil's advocate. Then the customers and their readers shopping for the speaker only focused on the positives and the accolades. And after only a couple of months, it's audiophile nervosa, as you say.

If these guys are billionaires, no big loss. But many of guys, despite being very rich, are probably not billionaires and still make tradeoffs. I'm sure they are somewhat pissed.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Maybe so. But Alexandria XLF was released at the same time and there are none of those on the market.

I remember seeing a while back some pictures or a video of Alon Wolf, industry insiders (the goateed Magico dude who sets up their speakers at shows, some other manufacturers, etc.), and some reviewers (Valin? Harley? Soundstage Guys, etc.) having a fancy dinner, eating lobster, steak, and sipping wine. I'm sure it was a great night and I wish I were invited. But as they ate, their braisn swooned with intense pleasure. Did the reviewers, afterwards, seriously evaluate the speaker? Did they think of their readers and how they listen and what they enjoy? Did they probe and apply critical thinking skills? The answer is no (and probably would have been no even without the fancy dinner). These guys heard the transparency and the detail and called it BEST. They did not question their conclusions or play devil's advocate. Then the customers and their readers shopping for the speaker only focused on the positives and the accolades. And after only a couple of months, it's audiophile nervosa, as you say.

If these guys are billionaires, no big loss. But many of guys, despite being very rich, are probably not billionaires and still make tradeoffs. I'm sure they are somewhat pissed.

Too many questions and speculation here..

I will just say that if you drop 180 LARGE on any audio product without listening to it with familiar music and electronics,
I would be shedding a tear for you if you don't like it a year later. That is what you would call a very posh "problem" to have.
Gimme a break LOL.

I am not wealthy, but I am not struggling either, and I account for every dollar I spend. I just ordered some input tubes for the Carber amp
for 50 bucks and I spend weeks shopping for the right tube.

I don't wanna hear about poor rich old men who buy something based on rave reviews then regret it. :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well one pair was just relisted for 99k. Seems he couldn't get any offers at first listing for $125k

caesar

May 30, 2010
Too many questions and speculation here..

I will just say that if you drop 180 LARGE on any audio product without listening to it with familiar music and electronics,
I would be shedding a tear for you if you don't like it a year later. That is what you would call a very posh "problem" to have.
Gimme a break LOL.

I am not wealthy, but I am not struggling either, and I account for every dollar I spend. I just ordered some input tubes for the Carber amp
for 50 bucks and I spend weeks shopping for the right tube.

I don't wanna hear about poor rich old men who buy something based on rave reviews then regret it. :)

Where's your empathy for your fellow brother-audiophile?:)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

It is possible that the sound that the average audio enthusiast seeks is very different from that of certain reviewers. We all have our own idea of what a great speaker should sound like and a reviewers "Best" might sound un-involving once you get it in your own home. If I was interested in a speaker at this price point I would have flown in for a listen before ordering.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Where's your empathy for your fellow brother-audiophile?:)

These are indeed heartbreaking stories. Dreams shattered, college funds depleted...... I suggest we set up a WBF Q7's victims fund. Donations are welcome. Now collecting old cables for silent auction.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Q7 are great speakers - I listened to them twice, one of the times it was playing really good.

However there is a disappointing aspect in it - the 94 dB/W rating can be misleading, as its users are saying it needs really large power - many hundreds of watts seem the minimum. I can imagine that any one betting on a speaker for medium power tubes will be disappointed and will soon look for a XLF or similar.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The Q7 are great speakers - I listened to them twice, one of the times it was playing really good.

However there is a disappointing aspect in it - the 94 dB/W rating can be misleading, as its users are saying it needs really large power - many hundreds of watts seem the minimum. I can imagine that any one betting on a speaker for medium power tubes will be disappointed and will soon look for a XLF.

Robert Harley drove them with very low powered Lamm mono blocks and raved about the combo.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well no problem there guys , if i was not making speakers myself , a used Q 7 would certainly be a speaker i would want to pick up
Great speaker

A impedance / efficiency test by JA would be welcome

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Robert Harley drove them with very low powered Lamm mono blocks and raved about the combo.

Yes, but as far as I know Lamm's ML2.1, ML2.2 and ML3 are exceptions in this aspect in the high-arena - I would love to know why. AFAIR Steve Williams told us once that the ML2.1 would easily drive the Maxx2 or 3!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Well no problem there guys , if i was not making speakers myself , a used Q 7 would certainly be a speaker i would want to pick up
Great speaker

A impedance / efficiency test by JA would be welcome

To be clear, I think Magico makes very very impressive speakers. I have nothing bad to say about the Q7.

Like many other things in life it is a rich toy for a rich boy. :D

I think the Q series is clearly a leap forward in speaker design.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Personally i dont like all the Q series speakers , and i might have liked it more with a soft dome or ringradiator in the long run .
But its a work of industial design inside and the front is nice , also very nice membrane material , and a flat response off course
Its a speaker with which you can MAKE a sound , not the speaker making the sound for you by having a very personal character and influencing the music that way .
Just my 2 cents

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Personally i dont like all the Q series speakers , and i might have liked it more with a soft dome or ringradiator in the long run .
But its a work of industial design inside and the front is nice , also very nice membrane material , and a flat response off course (...)

Do you have access to measurements of the Q series? The very few I found do not seem to be "flat response".

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No , i have not but i ve read about other magico speaker measurements and iirc they were reasonably flat +- 3db over most of the audioband 1/6 smoothe factor
Also by hearing i dont think they were much out of line , only it could have had a bit more bass , but maybe it was the zanden poweramps running out of juice

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
http://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-q5-loudspeaker-measurements

Q 5 against maxx 3 , maxx 3 is a bit flatter but if you start from 400 hz the Q 5 is very flat also

Now that is interesting. I have always liked Wilsons and given the choice would choose the bigger Wilsons over the equivalently priced Magico. but i was told by a reviewer that the bigger Wilsons are not linear, etc...and the Magico extremely linear. From what you say...the opposite, if any thing is true.

Deeply respect the Magicos...just surprised to hear the Maxx 3 is a bit flatter than Q5.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing