Magico Q7

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Stereo
That is what the OP said about the Speaker my personal experience with the Q3 is that it likely the most inert speaker I have touched :) . i also read and saw the impressive video of the Q7 playing at 113 dB (measured at 3 meter!!) of hip-hop bass-heavy music with a glass of water over it and no ripples !! That is an inert cabinet thus my point that if one feels vibration from the Q7, it could be due to a defective sample... I am not negative about the speaker and based on my being very impressed with the Q3, I would say I am looking forward to audition it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Stereo
That is what the OP said about the Speaker my personal experience with the Q3 is that it likely the most inert speaker I have touched :) . i also read and saw the impressive video of the Q7 playing at 113 dB (measured at 3 meter!!) of hip-hop bass-heavy music with a glass of water over it and no ripples !! That is an inert cabinet thus my point that if one feels vibration from the Q7, it could be due to a defective sample... I am not negative about the speaker and based on my being very impressed with the Q3, I would say I am looking forward to audition it.

I only hope the poor guy who made the film was wearing ear protection or using a long zoom lens.

Rolls-Royce was told to carry a much more impressive test for their cars engines. They would put a coin upright of the motor top and start the engine. If the coil would fall the motor was rejected ...

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
. . . the distortion of speakers is never measured . . .

We've been doing it for over a decade: www.speakermeasurements.com

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'm hearing the system later today. The owner said it is the only time he had had to wear two layers of ear protection. He is going to warm up the Ampex ATR for me.
Larry

I only hope the poor guy who made the film was wearing ear protection or using a long zoom lens.

Rolls-Royce was told to carry a much more impressive test for their cars engines. They would put a coin upright of the motor top and start the engine. If the coil would fall the motor was rejected ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We've been doing it for over a decade: www.speakermeasurements.com

Jeff,
Most of soundstage speaker measurements say "(measured @ 2m, plotted @ 1m)". What does it mean exactly and how do you correct the original data for plotting? I know I read an explanation about it long ago, but can not remember any more ...

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com
Good question.

I'm not exactly sure why, but, historically, most frequency-response plots are made with the measurement taken at 1 meter. Sensitivity is always stated at 1 meter. I suspect one of the reasons why is that most people/publications (even companies) don't have access to an anechoic chamber, so they used "gated" measurement techniques, meaning they have to be quite close to the speaker to get a decent set measurements that go fairly low in frequency. If they don't gate the measurements, they'll get room reflections, which isn't something you want.

But while measurements at 1 meter are acceptable for a small bookshelf-type speaker, for larger floorstanders you ideally want to be 2 or 3 meters back to allow the drivers to better integrate -- just look at the spread from the tweeter to the woofer(s).

At SoundStage!, we have access to a state-of-the-art anechoic chamber that allows us to measure at 2 meters, which, we believe, is far better than measuring at 1 meter. At times I've wished we could be 3 meters back, but it's not feasible. An anechoic chamber is a reflection-free environment and it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to build. To the best of our knowledge, we're the only publication in the world to use a chamber -- others use their listening rooms, backyards, driveways, etc., which, to us, aren't acceptable places to do a reference set of measurements. This chamber also offers an isolated, low-noise environment that allows us to take accurate distortion measurements, which, as Jeff mentioned, is something almost no one else publishes, but we have for about 12 years now. In fact, I just got back from measuring 4 more speakers today.

So we're measuring at 2 meters -- but the world is used to seeing measurements taken at 1 meter. To compensate, what we do is simply measure at 2 meters but plot the results as if it the speaker was measured at 1 meter. You do this by simply adding 6 decibels. The reason for the 6dB increase is that in acoustics, for every having of distance, the output is 6dB higher. So, if something is 84dB at 2 meters, it's 90dB at 1 meter, 96dB at 1/2 meter, and 102dB at 1/4 meter, and so on.

I hope that makes sense. If not, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Doug Schneider
www.SoundStageNetwork.com

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
My delivery of my pair of the Q7 has been pushed forward. It seems they will be installed in my home at the end of next month now. I can hardly wait.........

Thanks,
Roysen

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My delivery of my pair of the Q7 has been pushed forward. It seems they will be installed in my home at the end of next month now. I can hardly wait.........

Thanks,
Roysen

Fantastic! Congrats and please remember to post for those of us who are looking forward to reading all about them...and your system! Enjoy.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Date: October 13, 2012
Place: Rhapsody, Hilversum The Netherlands
Event: newest dCS super set; Zanden monos and pre; Magico Q 7
Experience: :eek: this had nothing to do with audio....was more a religious experience. Best sound I have ever heard.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hi nirodha i might have seen you there .
As far as my expirience concerned: the Q 7 played in the same room as the Q3 did last time which wasnt then able to pressurize it properly, the Q7 did and sounded big and coherent although its a big speaker it had high resolution and yes i was impressed nice speaker very good integration of parts , the religious part comes from zanden i suppose , zanden is able to stop time a little and recreate the performance , makes other amps sound a bit boring i think.
After hearing the 3000/9600 again today and the big box integrated (used only as power amp), i think i hit a homerun with the zanden 7000 (300 B) ,probably almost unbeatable on the right speaker , regardless off price

Q1 played in the same small room the S5 did last time , and again i was impressed nice speaker high resolution and it went pretty deep for its size.

Both sounded pleasurable .

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Experience: :eek: this had nothing to do with audio....was more a religious experience. Best sound I have ever heard.

Great! I thought it would be a good combination (i think i even posted that somewhere here that i'd love to hear Q7 with Zanden...whats great to me about Zanden is its voice...for me the key has been ensuring it comes out the other side well...and personally, i have found that the more precise the speaker is, the better I hear the voice. I had a huge step up when i went from Strads to X1/Slamms in being able to appreciate what Yamada San is doing with his designs.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi nirodha i might have seen you there .
As far as my expirience concerned: the Q 7 played in the same room as the Q3 did last time which wasnt then able to pressurize it properly, the Q7 did and sounded big and coherent although its a big speaker it had high resolution and yes i was impressed nice speaker very good integration of parts , the religious part comes from zanden i suppose , zanden is able to stop time a little and recreate the performance , makes other amps sound a bit boring i think.
After hearing the 3000/9600 again today and the big box integrated (used only as power amp), i think i hit a homerun with the zanden 7000 (300 B) ,probably almost unbeatable on the right speaker , regardless off price

Q1 played in the same small room the S5 did last time , and again i was impressed nice speaker high resolution and it went pretty deep for its size.

Both sounded pleasurable .
Hi,
yep, we might have seen each other. It was a busy show. Are you going in a fortnight as well? I was with a friend and we went to hear the Q1 first. After that, into the big room which really did give me a spiritual connection :eek:. Man...as Rhapsody's owner stated: this takes high-end to an unprecedented level! Awesome!
I have to disagree on the Q1. I only heard a speaker trying to sound bigger than it is supposed to. Its bass was way over the top and disconnected from mid/high section. Not on all tracks, but too many for my taste. However, maybe that was the way it was presented. AND...in the end it is all a matter of taste and "resonating cells" :p;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Opinions differ , its always quite hard for a 2 way to do it all!
I might go to the new pass labs series with the Q 7 , i dont know , i found the bergmann also an exxelent TT.
I saw the new sonus faber flagship as well , the aida , i would like to hear them at one time .

greetz hj

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

-----Fantasmagoric! :b

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Is goed, groetjes henk jan!

One more thing i forgot , is that those magico units look fantastic , very nice membrane material , the Q 7 sounded exeptionally clean top to bottom , hard to fault anywhere.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing